Expired

Need a 7 Seater Car/MPV - Also Petrol or Deisal?

Found 14th Jan 2014
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a 7 Seater vehicle. My Spend is max £2.5k ... ideally £1.5 -£2k

I know there are Zafira's - I like the new shapes and lots on autotrader for these but they all seem to have loads of miles over 100,000 on the clock.

Are there any other 7 seaters that are good and reliable?

Also Petrol vs Deisal? I'll be travelling from and to work (about 20 miles away) and shopping trips to supermarket and the odd trip over 50 miles every month

Any Ideas?
Community Updates
22 Comments
Old shape Kia Carens for that kind of money.
Deisal ? - Diesel .
We used to have a 1.9tdi Ford Galaxy a few years ago which was very reliable. I liked the fact that the back seats were solid proper seats,were put off with the zafiras as the seats were not as good. I didn't like that you had to flip the middle ones forward to get the back ones up(not sure if the new ones are like that though now)

We sold our galaxy in 07 and it had 147 k on it by then,still a great solid running car-it is still on the road now so sure the mileage will be up a good bit.
I'm not sure what you can get for that money, but for your mileage and considering you're buying second hand, diesel is the better option.

You need to decide whether you want a newer model with high miles or an older one with lower miles, as you can't get an awful lot for that budget.
moob

I'm not sure what you can get for that money, but for your mileage and … I'm not sure what you can get for that money, but for your mileage and considering you're buying second hand, diesel is the better option. You need to decide whether you want a newer model with high miles or an older one with lower miles, as you can't get an awful lot for that budget.

I found some zafiras in new shape for £2.2-£2.5k with 100,000 miles. Is getting a car with more miles risky? I mean do timing belts or stuff need replacing?

I've seen the Ford Galaxy in new shape and they look nice!

I want a balance of it being a great car for the family and something that will look nice. If that makes sense ...

Thanks for all the comments
krazyasif786

I found some zafiras in new shape for £2.2-£2.5k with 100,000 miles. Is g … I found some zafiras in new shape for £2.2-£2.5k with 100,000 miles. Is getting a car with more miles risky? I mean do timing belts or stuff need replacing? I've seen the Ford Galaxy in new shape and they look nice! I want a balance of it being a great car for the family and something that will look nice. If that makes sense ... :)Thanks for all the comments

How reliable they will be depends on how well looked after they were. Diesels are generally more capable of dealing with abuse and higher miles, but that is dependent on servicing etc.

Take a look at these websites and read as much as you can:

reliabilityindex.com/
honestjohn.co.uk/
You will need to factor in repair costs for any car of that value as well.

krazyasif786

I found some zafiras in new shape for £2.2-£2.5k with 100,000 miles. Is g … I found some zafiras in new shape for £2.2-£2.5k with 100,000 miles. Is getting a car with more miles risky? I mean do timing belts or stuff need replacing? I've seen the Ford Galaxy in new shape and they look nice! I want a balance of it being a great car for the family and something that will look nice. If that makes sense ... :)Thanks for all the comments

You want everything for nothing by the sounds of it....

Buying a car like this will almost always give you some issues that need rectifying, so be prepared.
If you want a full sized MPV look no further than a MK2 Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan, Seat Alhambra all basically same cars re-badged, All made in the same factory. They hold their value especially the 6 speed diesels and they are the ones to go for.

If petrol then the 2.3 Galaxy is the best one, 145bhp and mine used to return around 30mpg. Also timing chain so no need to worry about them snapping.

I've seen them with over 300k miles on, It's not too much of an issue providing they've been serviced and maintained correctly.

You wont get a MK3 Galaxy for that little money.

Zafira's are ok but vital their cambelts are changed on time, They were prone to failure on the mk1's, Had to be done every 40k, Can't comment on the diesel variant as all I know about them is they're ok but nothing special. The 1.8 petrol is probably the best one to go for or the diesel. the 1.6 is just to underpowered.

Grand Scenic I have a 7 seater, brilliant car, great to drive, 25.5k on the clock, selling in a couple of months as don't need this size any more but can get more than 2.5k from a garage, apparently worth £5495 so your budget seems to be rather small.
jmb

Grand Scenic I have a 7 seater, brilliant car, great to drive, 25.5k … Grand Scenic I have a 7 seater, brilliant car, great to drive, 25.5k on the clock, selling in a couple of months as don't need this size any more but can get more than 2.5k from a garage, apparently worth £5495 so your budget seems to be rather small.

Cool I'll check it out. There are some decent cars for £2.5k with around 80k on the clock. Only thing worrying is those that need cam belts.

krazyasif786

Cool I'll check it out. There are some decent cars for £2.5k with around … Cool I'll check it out. There are some decent cars for £2.5k with around 80k on the clock. Only thing worrying is those that need cam belts.

Those with around 80k will need cambelts lol. Also clutches tend to go between 60-80 k so it's handy to get one that's just had these done or do the cambelt yourself because some people lie about them being done and it'll snap anyway..!!!. Just keep this in mind, Obviously risk of breaking on way to garage but if from a dealer you should be covered by a bit of warranty.
shauneco

Those with around 80k will need cambelts lol. Also clutches tend to go … Those with around 80k will need cambelts lol. Also clutches tend to go between 60-80 k so it's handy to get one that's just had these done or do the cambelt yourself because some people lie about them being done and it'll snap anyway..!!!. Just keep this in mind, Obviously risk of breaking on way to garage but if from a dealer you should be covered by a bit of warranty.

And not many people will do a clutch at around 60-80 and then sell the car on, mind you I have never seen a belt snap before either on any of the high mileage cars I used to drive, when I had mine done they usually ended up worse anyway.
aircanman

And not many people will do a clutch at around 60-80 and then sell the … And not many people will do a clutch at around 60-80 and then sell the car on, mind you I have never seen a belt snap before either on any of the high mileage cars I used to drive, when I had mine done they usually ended up worse anyway.

I bought a car a few years ago,booked it in for a full service and timing belt/water pump change.
A few months later and only doing 6k it snapped!!

Garage was terrible,got trading standards,good garage scheme and gates involved and got it sorted.

Turned out it was never replaced in the first place!
takethatfan1978

I bought a car a few years ago,booked it in for a full service and timing … I bought a car a few years ago,booked it in for a full service and timing belt/water pump change.A few months later and only doing 6k it snapped!!Garage was terrible,got trading standards,good garage scheme and gates involved and got it sorted.Turned out it was never replaced in the first place!

I think the problem is a lot of these garages don't know how to do the job, and loosely follow experience or manuals, no two belt changes are the same.
aircanman

I think the problem is a lot of these garages don't know how to do the … I think the problem is a lot of these garages don't know how to do the job, and loosely follow experience or manuals, no two belt changes are the same.

Yes I understand that,it was more the point that I paid them to do something and they clearly didn't do it!

They had information on their signage advertising cambelt changes as well. I'm sure I'm not the only person they conned! They were just chancers. Car was not even worth much but I stood my ground and made sure it was sorted!
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 14th Jan 2014
aircanman

And not many people will do a clutch at around 60-80 and then sell the … And not many people will do a clutch at around 60-80 and then sell the car on, mind you I have never seen a belt snap before either on any of the high mileage cars I used to drive, when I had mine done they usually ended up worse anyway.

I've personally never had a cambelt snap on me, However it's a big gamble if you don't have them done, I know quite a few people who have had them go, It's one of the things that need to be done for peace of mind imo, takethatfan1978 kind of backs my point up, Not all garages are reputable.
OP buy my old car, It's on Ebay, Item number: 310844022545

It's got some miles on clock, However very reliable, Ok condition. Good mpg, I used to average around 40mpg, On long journeys had it at 50mpg. Well maintained etc.
shauneco

OP buy my old car, It's on Ebay, Item number: 310844022545 It's got some … OP buy my old car, It's on Ebay, Item number: 310844022545 It's got some miles on clock, However very reliable, Ok condition. Good mpg, I used to average around 40mpg, On long journeys had it at 50mpg. Well maintained etc.

is that actually your car for sale..or is it one that you used to have?

im in the same boat as the OP.
EN1GMA

is that actually your car for sale..or is it one that you used to have?im … is that actually your car for sale..or is it one that you used to have?im in the same boat as the OP.

I actually part chopped it the other day, He seems a nice honest bloke, Father and daughter run business, Genuinely my old car, I've got something a little newer now, I know I'll miss it as it never once let me down.
shauneco

I've personally never had a cambelt snap on me, However it's a big gamble … I've personally never had a cambelt snap on me, However it's a big gamble if you don't have them done, I know quite a few people who have had them go, It's one of the things that need to be done for peace of mind imo, takethatfan1978 kind of backs my point up, Not all garages are reputable.

No they certainly are not,I thought I would use this one as it was local but I would never ever go back again. The guy ripped me off and caused a lot of stress. Driving a car at 60mph with belt snapping is not fun!
Husband used another local one for some work which also ended in problems!

Now use one person only for our cars and would not trust anyone else.
Do not buy a Renault Scenic. You'll regret it.
dantesfireplace

Do not buy a Renault Scenic. You'll regret it.

We had a renault (not scenic but megan) before and it was very unreliable. ... never again ...

I'm still thinking of a Vauxhall Zafira or a Ford Galaxy ... may save a little more ...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants