Groups

Need a Bike for Lands End / John O Groats trip

Am off in the summer to do Lands Ends John O Groats with a couple of mates for Charity. Looking at doing it in 15 days (not intended to thrash it - Just take it quite easy all the way up)

Now, need to buy a bike. I dont really like the idea of road racer type bikes, looking more towards a mountain bike for the extra comfort.

Will be riding mainly A and B roads i would have thought. Have looked on Evans Bikes, Halfords and a couple of other places but am confused as to what i really need.

My budget in all fairness is probably £250 - £300. I wont be riding in woods etc so i guess some things arent important. Just after one that will do me well for these couple of weeks with no problems and will just be "reliable" and will do me for my needs.

Can anyone point to a model or two to consider?

Cheers?

20 Comments

how about a hybrid? i have one and its fab. Its a hybrid of a road bike and mountain bike so the best of both worlds.

]Linky

can get semi slick tyres for the hybrid so its like road tyres

Original Poster

thanks for the links. What exactly is a Hybrid Bike then? Is it just a bike then like you say that is best of both worlds? Not that clued up on them?

Im not entirely sure what it is i need to consider for this trip.

yeah as you say its cross between a road bike and a mountain bike, you have the comfort of a mountain bike, but is lightweight, has semi slick tyres and also you can attach storage panniers for the journey. I for the money it would be what I would buy for the trip. My advice would be go to a bike shop and try a few out, see what is comfortable atke it for a ride and decide that way

I know you have said no to a road bike, but think you really need to reconsider. MTB is a no no for this type of journey to big and bulky.

Hybrid bike is more of a road bike with MTB extras

Original Poster

on face value alone, i do quite like the look of this one from one of your links, and its within my price range. Would this one do the job?

evanscycles.com/pro…509

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Ensure you go to a decent independent bike shop and get measured so you get the right frame size, also if they are any good they will tweak the handlebars etc so you have a comfy and efficient cycling action, for your epic ride.

Enjoy, it should be a memorable trip.

evanscycles.com/pro…200
    i would go for one with front suspension personally, but its up to you.

DKLS;4617922

Ensure you go to a decent independent bike shop and get measured so you … Ensure you go to a decent independent bike shop and get measured so you get the right frame size, also if they are any good they will tweak the handlebars etc so you have a comfy and efficient cycling action, for your epic ride.Enjoy, it should be a memorable trip.

+1 yeah dont go to halfords

Original Poster

Sheep87;4617937

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/saracen/venturer-2-2008-hybrid-bike-ec001200i would go for one with front suspension personally, but its up to you.

Will take a closer look at this one then:thumbsup:

Ok good luck! I have repped you for your efforts!!! well done

Get some anti-puncture gel strips for the inside of the tire. they won't stop you getting a puncture but will give you a bit of time to find a safe place to fix it..
    and make sure the bike is light - it will get very heavey very soon.
    and i'd practice riding 80miles a day so the 50-60 you're gonna have to do will seem like a dream...

Hire a Tandem...........you can then have rests while the other pedals. :-D

Original Poster

Syzable;4618087

Hire a Tandem...........you can then have rests while the other pedals. … Hire a Tandem...........you can then have rests while the other pedals. :-D

Yeah i had thought of that, but didnt think i could possibly get away with looking straight if i did!

Original Poster

callmejoe;4618054

Get some anti-puncture gel strips for the inside of the tire. they won't … Get some anti-puncture gel strips for the inside of the tire. they won't stop you getting a puncture but will give you a bit of time to find a safe place to fix it..and make sure the bike is light - it will get very heavey very soon.and i'd practice riding 80miles a day so the 50-60 you're gonna have to do will seem like a dream...

Well as soon as i pick one up first step is to ride the distance between mine and the other halfs. Which i reckon is about 17/18 miles down country lanes. So will try that out a good few times first to get used to it. If i can do it in under 2 hours ill think im doing OK

Found one.................any good?

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_01/jordanDM_468x550.jpg

kristianity77;4618266

Well as soon as i pick one up first step is to ride the distance between … Well as soon as i pick one up first step is to ride the distance between mine and the other halfs. Which i reckon is about 17/18 miles down country lanes. So will try that out a good few times first to get used to it. If i can do it in under 2 hours ill think im doing OK

You will need distance as well as speed...
    9mph for 2 hours is not the same as 5/6 mph for ten hours...
    if nothing else you will be sitting on a saddle for 5 times lonbger! - Believe me that will make a difference.

Man up, cycle the distance on BMX!

Seriously though, I have a hybrid, but if I were considering a distance as long as this, I would definitely get something built for speed (road racing type bike).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608647
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1624
      3. What do these 2 men have in common1116
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764217

See more discussions