Need a car for 3 weeks

Found 11th Dec 2017
I'm new to the world of car leasing and I am expecting my new car to arrive in the next few weeks.

The problem is that whilst I don't have a car I still need to get to work. Bummer, I know...

What do people do when in between leases and so on?
I looked at standard car hire but it will cost at least £200 which is not great just before Christmas.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
How far is work ?
Do you have co-workers that drive and live near by (ish)
Edited by: "mattsk" 11th Dec 2017
Unfortunately not. And I leave before 6am so can't really ask anyone for a lift.
See if the supplying dealer can help?
Standard is about 14-16 quid a day, I think that’s about the cheapest rate. Just do Monday-Friday to keep costs down. Your problem will be by trying to keep it cheap you may get stung for excess on a Random scratch so check it over very thoroughly
Buy a clonker for £200, with mot. Then sell it or scrap it when you get your new car. Check out Facebook selling pages where people sell cars cheap that dealers don't want.
juniper2 h, 21 m ago

See if the supplying dealer can help?

It's from a broker so I have no contact with the dealer unfortunately. Thanks
Difficult one. Welcome to car leasing. Probably the next mis-selling scandal.

You say £200 now is not good news now. That doesn't bode well for the typically multi £x,000 payment at the end of the lease.

Of course the final payment can always be wrapped up into a new lease - to paraphrase the PLP lenders.

Are you by any chance also wondering about the PLP cooling off period and whether this doubtless very attractive offer from the scumbag loan shark industry is actually a sensible financial move?
Jog
Have all the bus and train routes locally been cut?
You could buy a motorbike.
Eurocar are expensive with these hidden charges i heard but a car costs £80 a week.
I was without a car but didn't work so i stayed at home all day. Hubby took kids to school etc.
Can you not travel on a bike either?
Cycle to work or to nearest public transport if you live that far from public transpor
Misslovely15 m ago

You could buy a motorbike. Eurocar are expensive with these hidden charges …You could buy a motorbike. Eurocar are expensive with these hidden charges i heard but a car costs £80 a week. I was without a car but didn't work so i stayed at home all day. Hubby took kids to school etc. Can you not travel on a bike either?

A motorbike for under £200? And what if the op does not have a motorbike licence? If it is only a few miles to work I guess a bicycle is an option although most people these days could not ride half a mile before getting out of breath.
mrty3 h, 58 m ago

Buy a clonker for £200, with mot. Then sell it or scrap it when you get …Buy a clonker for £200, with mot. Then sell it or scrap it when you get your new car. Check out Facebook selling pages where people sell cars cheap that dealers don't want.

do not forget that insurance will not be cheap for a short term car like this
SOUTHWALES10 m ago

A motorbike for under £200? And what if the op does not have a motorbike …A motorbike for under £200? And what if the op does not have a motorbike licence? If it is only a few miles to work I guess a bicycle is an option although most people these days could not ride half a mile before getting out of breath.

i know plenty of ppl who ride to work and they ride more than half a mile
bycicle or walk if it's within 10 miles.
mattmerch28 m ago

do not forget that insurance will not be cheap for a short term car like …do not forget that insurance will not be cheap for a short term car like this

Will only need third party. It works out expensive if you multiply it up to an annual rate, but still probably only around £15-£20 a week depending on driving experience / ncb. If Op is going for a lease I imagine he must have reasonable insurance status or the lease would be exorbitant.
Edited by: "mrty" 11th Dec 2017
mrty16 m ago

Will only need third party. It works out expensive if you multiply it up …Will only need third party. It works out expensive if you multiply it up to an annual rate, but still probably only around £15-£20 a week depending on driving experience / ncb. If Op is going for a lease I imagine he must have reasonable insurance status or the lease would be exorbitant.

apologies my bad
did not know short term insurance had got so cheap last time i checked a short term insurance policy was far more expensive than a pro rata rate for a year have do you got a link to the cheap short term insurance as it may come in handy in the future
If the car had turned up 3 weeks earlier. Your lease payments would have started already.

Public transport in many areas outside the big smoke is

Has your existing car been returned? You could ask for a brief extension.

Look for anyone doing car share.

Try for Co-wheels or similar.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 11th Dec 2017
You're looking a bit peaky, op. Hope you feel better in 3 weeks.
Snakeyes6462 h, 16 m ago

bycicle or walk if it's within 10 miles.

You could ride 10 miles in 30 mins but walking that far would just not be practical, 10 miles would take a good 3 hours.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 11th Dec 2017
SOUTHWALES1 h, 53 m ago

You could ride 10 miles in 30 mins but walking that far would just not be …You could ride 10 miles in 30 mins but walking that far would just not be practical, 10 miles would take a good 3 hours.

how slow would you walk to take that long lol, I walk often. (out of choice) to my parents house a few times a month... it takes me about 2hrs. still obviously walking would be the last option if the workplace is indeed 10 miles away
jop858 h, 4 m ago

It's from a broker so I have no contact with the dealer unfortunately. …It's from a broker so I have no contact with the dealer unfortunately. Thanks

There must be a supplying dealer somewhere - your car will probably just come out of the Fleet door not the retail.
Wow, so many comments! Thank you! I'll try to reply to all in one go.

It's 40 mins walk to the nearest train station (not great at this time of year at that time of the morning).
Also 40mins by bus, believe it or not, and if you miss is it's a half hour wait 🙄.
I sold my car a couple of weeks ago and managed by borrowing my parents' which is now no longer an option.

I was hoping for there to be a tried and test method but I will have to manage with some beg, borrowing and stealing ( ) and maybe a taxi or two.

Thanks to all who replied!
ccnp8 h, 43 m ago

Difficult one. Welcome to car leasing. Probably the next mis-selling …Difficult one. Welcome to car leasing. Probably the next mis-selling scandal.You say £200 now is not good news now. That doesn't bode well for the typically multi £x,000 payment at the end of the lease. Of course the final payment can always be wrapped up into a new lease - to paraphrase the PLP lenders.Are you by any chance also wondering about the PLP cooling off period and whether this doubtless very attractive offer from the scumbag loan shark industry is actually a sensible financial move?

What multi £x,000 payment at the end of the lease?
Snakeyes6462 h, 6 m ago

how slow would you walk to take that long lol, I walk often. (out of …how slow would you walk to take that long lol, I walk often. (out of choice) to my parents house a few times a month... it takes me about 2hrs. still obviously walking would be the last option if the workplace is indeed 10 miles away

The average walking speed is 3.1 .mph so that's just over 9 miles in 3 hours.google.co.uk/sea…F-8
jop8522 m ago

Wow, so many comments! Thank you! I'll try to reply to all in one go. It's …Wow, so many comments! Thank you! I'll try to reply to all in one go. It's 40 mins walk to the nearest train station (not great at this time of year at that time of the morning). Also 40mins by bus, believe it or not, and if you miss is it's a half hour wait 🙄. I sold my car a couple of weeks ago and managed by borrowing my parents' which is now no longer an option. I was hoping for there to be a tried and test method but I will have to manage with some beg, borrowing and stealing ( ) and maybe a taxi or two. Thanks to all who replied!

I think hiring a car or buying a cheap runaround for 3 weeks is your best option then, I'd opt for the cheap runaround as that 3 weeks could be longer....or you could speak to the dealer, explain your situation, you never know unless you ask.....

If your starting a lease early January, bear in mind your final payment (if applicable) will be around the same time at lease end....
Edited by: "andynicol" 11th Dec 2017
SOUTHWALES10 h, 53 m ago

You could ride 10 miles in 30 mins but walking that far would just not be …You could ride 10 miles in 30 mins but walking that far would just not be practical, 10 miles would take a good 3 hours.

Wow, 10 miles in 30 mins is 20mph. I could only do that if it was downhill all the way and I had a tail wind
Depending on wind conditions, my usual speed is around 10-12 mph, I'm obviously not fit enough, and my bike is a bit of a clonker too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants