Expired

Need a cheap smartphone for tethering only. Which is best?

Found 2nd Aug 2013
Ok so bought a mifi device under the impression from three that if I unlocked it and took out a 12 month deal with them for the one plan sim only then I would be able to use the sim in the device. Turns out they told me nothing but lies and now I'm stick with a sim card and wifi device I cant use together. My only other option is to get a cheap smarthphone and stick the sim into that and use it to tether the data. So which phone would you guys reccomend I pick up for as chap as possible which will enable me to tether?

8 Comments

which "chap" are you buying for?

Original Poster

*Cheap*

Hey, did you assume it would work, or was it following a conversation directly with three. Did you record the convo? I suggest a complaint via email.

In regards to the phone, you're looking at an android device, possibly £40+ that supports 3G. First one that comes to mind is the samsung Y, or galaxy Europa. I'm sure others will have better ideas.

Original Poster

Captainbeavus

Hey, did you assume it would work, or was it following a conversation … Hey, did you assume it would work, or was it following a conversation directly with three. Did you record the convo? I suggest a complaint via email. In regards to the phone, you're looking at an android device, possibly £40+ that supports 3G. First one that comes to mind is the samsung Y, or galaxy Europa. I'm sure others will have better ideas.

I was told on two different occasions by two different reps over the phone. And the only reason ive had to take out the tethering deal to begin with is because some halfwit in the carphone warehouse miss sold me a contract under the impression i was able to tether straight from my iphone. Told them all this over the phone spent a good 2 hours speaking to them over the past few days and they cant even directly answer my questions.... Its a waste of time even trying to bother. I desperately need unlimited data that can be tethered though though so i have no choice other than to keep the sim as much as i hate to pay them even more money!! Ill look into these devices... What about the HTC desire is that capable too?

chantelle310

I was told on two different occasions by two different reps over the … I was told on two different occasions by two different reps over the phone. And the only reason ive had to take out the tethering deal to begin with is because some halfwit in the carphone warehouse miss sold me a contract under the impression i was able to tether straight from my iphone. Told them all this over the phone spent a good 2 hours speaking to them over the past few days and they cant even directly answer my questions.... Its a waste of time even trying to bother. I desperately need unlimited data that can be tethered though though so i have no choice other than to keep the sim as much as i hate to pay them even more money!! Ill look into these devices... What about the HTC desire is that capable too?

Yeah it's also capable but slightly expensive. You could also consider buying second hand phones for this purpose.

Original Poster

Captainbeavus

Yeah it's also capable but slightly expensive. You could also consider … Yeah it's also capable but slightly expensive. You could also consider buying second hand phones for this purpose.

I was thinking of buying used to be fair I'm not really bothered bout the condition aslong as it works

Just look for an android phone that's got 3G capabilities and is unlocked or locked to three. Try the for sale thread here or eeeebay.

you could get an LG L3 for around £30 on ebay, it won't be very fast though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions