Need a DSLR

Found 14th Nov 2017
Amateur photographer with a passion for photography is looking for an easy to use DSLR with precision lens to cover wide angles during hiking in the mountains. Any suggestions which DSLR and lens to go for? Any known upcoming deals for Black Friday? Thanks a lot

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

DSLR? Just buy a iPhone x or note 8???

Nikon and Cannon are your best bet I would say. I would look at the lens you want to see which make to go for; e.g fixed 20mm (=30mm actual focal length when you multiply the DX effect i.e not a full frame camera) or is it worth paying for a zoom e.g. 11-18mm etc Given you are hiking how important is weight? that might make you look at fixed focal lenth lenses and a lighter body. I would try out some bodies as the menu / buttons one may suit you better than the other.

The word 'hiking' and DSLR is not something I personally would put together, DSLR's are bulky, extremely fragile and stupidly expensive. My two cents ☺

If you don't mind going retired models I'd look at the Sony Alpha range.

For when I was starting out it was the easiest to research as they only have a few bodies to go for compared to the many Canon and Nikon have.

How amateur we talking? First ever DSLR?

CrikeyBlimey32 m ago

The word 'hiking' and DSLR is not something I personally would put …The word 'hiking' and DSLR is not something I personally would put together, DSLR's are bulky, extremely fragile and stupidly expensive. My two cents ☺

My canon 700d would test you in the fragile part. I over weighted a small tripod by mistake took my eye off it for a second and it fell out of the window. Luckily it was only the ground floor, a 4 foot drop on to concrete and it's fine. The lens doesn't work under manual focus sadly.

Cheap camera with great specs, look into a cannon 550d. I had one for years. Only upgraded as I had dust on the sensor. Would most likely be a used model, but believe their now in the range of 2-300£.

kos1c29 m ago

My canon 700d would test you in the fragile part. I over weighted a small …My canon 700d would test you in the fragile part. I over weighted a small tripod by mistake took my eye off it for a second and it fell out of the window. Luckily it was only the ground floor, a 4 foot drop on to concrete and it's fine. The lens doesn't work under manual focus sadly. Cheap camera with great specs, look into a cannon 550d. I had one for years. Only upgraded as I had dust on the sensor. Would most likely be a used model, but believe their now in the range of 2-300£.

"Lens doesn't work under manual focus" - I rest my case

One sees while hiking a stag on top of a hill silhouetted by a stunning sunset, I whip out my cannon powershot set to auto and grab the photo, while you lot with yer DSLR's are still getting it out of the case inside the rucksack attaching a lens, working out what f-stop and aperture to set - stag gone! And if you buy a DSLR and leave it on auto - what's the blooming point of them! It's the 21st century DSLR's are overpriced nonsense. My twenty cents this time 😁

Pretty much all the top sports Journo's use Canon.

But the problem with DLSR's is that they are pretty weighty, especially when you are carrying around different lenses
as well. Get a bridge camera, there are some pretty decent models out there these days.

CrikeyBlimey53 m ago

"Lens doesn't work under manual focus" - I rest my case One sees while …"Lens doesn't work under manual focus" - I rest my case One sees while hiking a stag on top of a hill silhouetted by a stunning sunset, I whip out my cannon powershot set to auto and grab the photo, while you lot with yer DSLR's are still getting it out of the case inside the rucksack attaching a lens, working out what f-stop and aperture to set - stag gone! And if you buy a DSLR and leave it on auto - what's the blooming point of them! It's the 21st century DSLR's are overpriced nonsense. My twenty cents this time 😁

You said DSLR. My lens was what had been damaged

I agree. But if you're going on a shoot run. You'll have a lens set and the camera over a shoulder sling and not in a bag. So it's just draw to shoot.

But I agree. Smart phones and mirror less cameras are becoming great bits of kits and auto shoot cameras (digital compacts) are strong contenders.

CrikeyBlimey2 h, 18 m ago

"Lens doesn't work under manual focus" - I rest my case One sees while …"Lens doesn't work under manual focus" - I rest my case One sees while hiking a stag on top of a hill silhouetted by a stunning sunset, I whip out my cannon powershot set to auto and grab the photo, while you lot with yer DSLR's are still getting it out of the case inside the rucksack attaching a lens, working out what f-stop and aperture to set - stag gone! And if you buy a DSLR and leave it on auto - what's the blooming point of them! It's the 21st century DSLR's are overpriced nonsense. My twenty cents this time 😁

I can leave my nikon dslr on aperture priority and amend the aperture value with a dial very quickly. So it works as quickly really as a point and shoot.
Edited by: "afroylnt" 14th Nov 2017

Black Friday will probably have some bundle deals crop up on Olympus OM-D models. 10 mk2 would be a good shout. If you wanted mirrorless that is. I find the Olympus models fit your hand well and have electronic view finders.

If you go DSLR then Nikon d5300 or Canon 750d are sensible enough choices. Ideally you want 10-20mm lenses on those 2. Which will cost more. The 18-55mm kit lenses are better than most people credit them for.

CrikeyBlimey3 h, 53 m ago

I mean you are assuming everyone uses auto when using a DSLR and is a casual.

The biggest benefit a DSLR brings to me is for wildlife photography because I need the long lens reach and the ease of the placement of a dial to change the aperture is essential (changes depth of field).

And I'm just assuming, and I'm fine to be proven wrong but I'd assume your landscape photo you quickly snapped is probably pants. :P
Edited by: "Robot_Rooster" 14th Nov 2017

Budget?

Sony A6000 mirrorless. Better image quality than any Canon or Nikon DSLR at that price point and half the weight. Technology has moved on

Robot_Rooster17 h, 9 m ago

I mean you are assuming everyone uses auto when using a DSLR and is a …I mean you are assuming everyone uses auto when using a DSLR and is a casual.The biggest benefit a DSLR brings to me is for wildlife photography because I need the long lens reach and the ease of the placement of a dial to change the aperture is essential (changes depth of field).And I'm just assuming, and I'm fine to be proven wrong but I'd assume your landscape photo you quickly snapped is probably pants. :P

No, it's not pants the photographs are amazing, that's my point. These modern non DSLR's are incredible. They all have aperture and shutter priority functions just like DSLR's (insert patronising comment in brackets). The Nikon P900 is used by astronomers to photograph the surface of the moon! I think people should have another look at non DSLR cameras as they are no longer the weaker cousins to DSLR's.

CrikeyBlimey28 m ago

No, it's not pants the photographs are amazing, that's my point. These …No, it's not pants the photographs are amazing, that's my point. These modern non DSLR's are incredible. They all have aperture and shutter priority functions just like DSLR's (insert patronising comment in brackets). The Nikon P900 is used by astronomers to photograph the surface of the moon! I think people should have another look at non DSLR cameras as they are no longer the weaker cousins to DSLR's.

Just because i put a bit of information in brackets doesn't mean I was being patronising.

icecreamwoman11 h, 49 m ago

Sony A6000 mirrorless. Better image quality than any Canon or Nikon DSLR …Sony A6000 mirrorless. Better image quality than any Canon or Nikon DSLR at that price point and half the weight. Technology has moved on

Horse for courses. Nikon use sony sensors. Nikon/canon have better viewfinders and cheaper lenses. But are not as portable as the mirrorless cameras.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions