Need a good media player. Suggestions?

8 replies
Found 5th Feb 2009
Hey,

Im after a Media Player. Ive seen loads, some with and without hard drives.
Im after one for my mam, so I can but loads of DivX onto the hard drive and she can watch them without much fuss.

Anyone have one? What are they like? Are there onscreen menu's for easy searching?
What model do you lot suggest?

Any input is helpful.
Cheers.

8 Comments

You can't beat PS3, Plays Divx, MP4 and Avi (plus I'm sure many more formats), also great MP3 player, blu-ray player plus with add-on you can watch digital tv (free-view) pause, rewind and record programs etc and if your mum still gets bored she can play games! its Win Win!

Oh and full internet access!

Original Poster

barriey;4295075

You can't beat PS3, Plays Divx, MP4 and Avi (plus I'm sure many more … You can't beat PS3, Plays Divx, MP4 and Avi (plus I'm sure many more formats), also great MP3 player, blu-ray player plus with add-on you can watch digital tv (free-view) pause, rewind and record programs etc and if your mum still gets bored she can play games! its Win Win!Oh and full internet access!

Yeh, all correct, but its mine. lol.
Im after a media player for my mam, mainly for her bedroom TV. :thumbsup:

gdw298;4295140

Yeh, all correct, but its mine. lol.Im after a media player for my mam, … Yeh, all correct, but its mine. lol.Im after a media player for my mam, mainly for her bedroom TV. :thumbsup:

Go on Treat her! She'll love a PS3 and in these times of the 'credit crunch' Sony will love you for buying two PS3's! lol

barriey;4295216

Go on Treat her! She'll love a PS3 and in these times of the 'credit … Go on Treat her! She'll love a PS3 and in these times of the 'credit crunch' Sony will love you for buying two PS3's! lol

lol, Credit Crunch and you want the OP to dump £300 on a media player.

My advice - get an Xbox 1 preowned from GameStation and soft mod it. Then put XBMC on it.

Job done for £20 - £25.

Better still, get a 360 at £129 which will do the exact same job with media streaming (if not better) than a PS3 but will cost you less than half the price. True, there's no Blu Ray player but if you're streaming content from the network/external HDD you don't need one.

Oh yeah, it's also the best games console out there :thumbsup:

I think this is what your after.
]http//ww…id=

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;4295497

lol, Credit Crunch and you want the OP to dump £300 on a media player.My … lol, Credit Crunch and you want the OP to dump £300 on a media player.My advice - get an Xbox 1 preowned from GameStation and soft mod it. Then put XBMC on it.Job done for £20 - £25.Better still, get a 360 at £129 which will do the exact same job with media streaming (if not better) than a PS3 but will cost you less than half the price. True, there's no Blu Ray player but if you're streaming content from the network/external HDD you don't need one.Oh yeah, it's also the best games console out there :thumbsup:

You see, thats what I would do if it was me who wanted it. But she's after something smallish and compact, literally just a standalone media player with a harddrive. Exactly like below

scousekop;4295505

I think this is what your … I think this is what your after.]http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadeggjgddedcflgceggdhhmdfhk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=792568&category_oid=

Thats the one, or something like that. Is that the recommended one?

scousekop;4295505

I think this is what your … I think this is what your after.]http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadeggjgddedcflgceggdhhmdfhk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=792568&category_oid=

Can you play pro evo or COD on this ??

My advise is go for the xbox 360, she might not use it for gaming but it will hold its value way better. Investment in these troubled times

gdw298;4296660

You see, thats what I would do if it was me who wanted it. But she's … You see, thats what I would do if it was me who wanted it. But she's after something smallish and compact, literally just a standalone media player with a harddrive. Exactly like belowThats the one, or something like that. Is that the recommended one?

Specs from the one linked:

Product Information

Supported Media Formats

# Video: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (AVI, VOB) , MPEG-4 (AVI; DiVX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x; XviD)
# Photo: JPEG
# Audio: MP3, AC3 (Dolby), WAV

I fully understand the smaller footprint issue and that it's also a HDD, but the 360 has fantastic HD playback via WMV VC1 encoded files. This *may* support divx-hd, but I would very much doubt it. There would be no point spending this kind of cash on a SD player when you've a 360 that will do all of the above and more in SD and HD.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition70778
    2. Win Google Pixel 2 or a Google Pixel 2 XL11
    3. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54

See more discussions