Expired

Need a new desktop PC

6 replies
Found 5th Aug 2010
My current computer is quickly dying and I'm in desperate need of a new one.

Requirements:
Fast processor (preferably quad core).
At least 4GB RAM.
Windows 7 (any version) included in the price.
Built in wireless networking.

Not needed:
Graphics card (already own a Raedon HD4850).
Large HDD (already have 1.5TB external)
Monitor.
Speakers.
Keyboard & Mouse (although I realise most package deals come with these so no problem if they're included).

Looking to spend around £450 ideally. Can go up to £600 so long as I'm getting good value for my money.

Please don't just tell me to build one myself - I'm not confident enough to do that (and I hear it's not really worth it with this kind of budget).

Look forward to seeing your responses!

6 Comments

I know what your saying about building it, but i still think with your budget you can build a nice machine, and its easy. your requirements will be hard to fulfil without you doing some work due to you not wanting a hard drive, which means you would need ot install window 7 yourself (which is easy)
I have put this together for you jsut to show you, it has a 6 core Processor, 4GB Ram and wireless N 300mb (not the 150mb a lot of places do) if you want a hand give us a shout

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz 9MB Cache Socket AM3 Retail Box Processor 204939 £155.68

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H 880G Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard 218935£69.09

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Obsidian i5 Memory Kit 1.65V CL9(9-9-9-24)£84.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 32-bit - English £74.65

Casecom Silver/Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU £11.46

Casecom Silver 500W PSU - With 12cm Red LED Fan, 20+4pin 1x SATA, 1x PCI-E £17.99

Tenda Wireless-N300 PCI Adapter 155641 150 in stock £17.49

Total
£431.35

on Ebuyer.com BTW

If you're able enough to install a graphics card and hard disk, I can't see why you can't build one yourself. It doesn't require a soldering iron or anything crazy like that... Just a screwdriver, a manual and the ability to fire off a google if you get stuck.

Original Poster

Thanks very much for the recommendation Chuckles. I'm definitely getting more tempted to build my own computer as it certainly seems like I can get more for my money. I actually forgot to mention in the initial post that I already own a 650W Corsair PSU so I wouldn't need to buy a new one of those. I've got a mate at work who built his own PC so I might be able to get him to give me a hand.

Build your own PC - it'll last 10x longer than one made by a manufacturer using cheap, low performance parts.
Also, if you buy a pre-build OEM PC, chances are you won't be able to overclock it.

i agree, build it m8, ull love it
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What is gearbest like on warranty?22
    2. active noise cancelling headphones10
    3. Difference between these WD 1TB Black HDDs22
    4. £300 for a XZ1 Compact Worth Keeping or return34

See more discussions