Expired

Need a new laptop

17 replies
Found 8th Feb 2008
Having a lot of problems with my laptop and need to get a new one, I'm hoping you can help me. Following are what I do/dont want

NOT - Phillips or Dell
NOT - adding extra memory or anything myself (I am not that technical)
Price - Max is £500
Spec - Best I can get for the money
Needs - Built in WIFI

17 Comments

This is quite good value.

£449.10 less 5% Quidco. Use Code HPSPLDIS to get this price delivered. Two week delay.

h41306.www4.hp.com/sec…932

Original Poster

Thanks, that looks quite good - rep added

Any other suggestions?

Thats Good but not for me..If you come across any with DVI under £500 please do tell.

Original Poster

*Bump*

Original Poster

*Bumping again before I throw current laptop at the wall*

Original Poster

Thanks

out of interest...what's wrong with DELL?

John

Original Poster

The one I have now is a dell and have had nothing but problems with it, brother had a dell and had nothing but problems with it, and dell support are ****!

I am getting a blue screen a few times a day (5 times in 10 minutes yesterday) they did a factory restore but still having the problem, so they just said turn it off and on again when it happens

Original Poster

Decided on the following, with 5% discount code it was £512 - and 4% quidco should be paid too, bringing it below £500

play.com/PC/…tml

Have you ordered it yet?

The processor is only Dual Core 1.6ghz, old and slow.
You need to get Core2Duo or AMD Turion x2 if you want something decent.

A poor processor and integrated graphics, you'll have trouble running Vista properly.

Original Poster

pcworld.co.uk/mar…575

Is that any better?

The hard drive is only 160GB, but thats plenty for me

kelly_o_fanatic;1566151

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcadedfifjdfgcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Accessory&sku=559575Is that any better?The hard drive is only 160GB, but thats plenty for me

Your link is not working. The HP that I recommended before seems to have all you need at a cheaper price. Well made and good looking...

Original Poster

Sorry, its the ADVENT 9915W

* Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5250
* (1.50 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache)
* Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
* 2 GB Memory
* 160 GB Hard Drive

£370 (using discounts)

kelly_o_fanatic;1566531

Sorry, its the ADVENT 9915W * Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5250 * … Sorry, its the ADVENT 9915W * Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5250 * (1.50 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache) * Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium * 2 GB Memory * 160 GB Hard Drive£370 (using discounts)

Advent is the PC World group 'own make' - built to a price - unless cost is your 1st priority I would avoid.

I think you have been unlucky with your Dell computer. But consider HP, Dell, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Asus etc. I would avoid Acer as there are too many adverse reports and I never buy Sony on principle in view of their anti-consumer stance on every issue.

Original Poster

We have an Advent computer that we havent had any problems with, had that a few years. Price wasnt an issue with that, just liked the look of it and spec was good.

Appreciate all the help people are giving keep it coming!

I got my dell vostro 1500 today, got to say, quite impressed with build quality.
Save your yourself some money and go for a dell. They will have good deals end of next month if you can wait.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone else bored of video gaming2030
    2. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA2099
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769517
    4. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!1317

See more discussions