Need A New Media Player - What Should I Buy ?

11 replies
Found 15th Dec 2009
Hello all :).

My western digital media player has just died & i have shipped it back to amazon for a refund as they don't have any in stock (old model). So i need a new media player but which one to get ? (hhmm)

I'm hoping for first hand experience opinions of what media player i should go for as i want a new one before xmas as i have quite alot i want to watch. All i want is a 1080p media player that let's me play avi, mkv, iso & img.

Any ideas people ???

10 Comments

ipod touch?

Original Poster

JaYy_dOg;7234062

ipod touch?

Not the kind of thing i was thinking of (got an iphone). I was thinking of a popcorn hour or latest version of western digital media player or something similar as long as it's a good piece of kit. Don't want to spend more than £200 really.

theres the popcorn hour players..

but check out the below article, then combine that with the aspire revo for £144 (link below) from ebuyer, and you could have a nice setup

lifehacker.com/539…eap
ebuyer.com/pro…153
Acer Aspire Revo R3600 Desktop PC, Atom 230 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, HDMI, nVidia GeForce 9400 ION, WIFI, Linux

here is a nice review site for htpc which will give you some good reviews.
mpcclub.com/

i personally used a hacked atv. but it kind of struggles on 720p, so i am going to buy one of those revos and install xbmc on it myself in the new year.

Ps3.................?

I have a WDTV live and think it's pretty amazing, haven't used a popcorn hour but can't really see where the extra £100 goes

Original Poster

Mecoconuts;7234112

WDTV Live ? .....£95 on … WDTV Live ? .....£95 on Amazon...:thumbsup:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Internet-Streamer-Television/dp/B002LZUHMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1260899318&sr=8-1-spell

I think that might be the winner for me, Just looking for a good price at the moment

Best price i can find from a known retailer so far is £92.99 from play using the £5 off voucher - UPDATE: play seemed to have stopped the £5 vouchers working on electronics so i went for amazon with the free prime delivery trial

WDTV live!

Mac Mini + Plex
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57588
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!44
    3. Free money and competition entry @ Circle813
    4. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22

See more discussions