Need a PAYG sim with one time top-up that doesn’t expire

Found 24th Dec 2017Edited by:"Geemac"
Merry Christmas all.

Tello PAYG is closing down at the end of January 2018 apparently.

So I need to find a new PAYG sim for my wife’s backup phone.

It needs to be a one time top-up that never expires and as

cheap as possible per minute, can’t be Three as that’s her main phone. Any recommendations

please?
Community Updates
9 Comments
Nearly all companies top ups expire unless you make a one minute call every so often.
Curiosity: Why does your wife need a backup phone........?
Original Poster
For when she forgets to take/charge her phone. Backup sits in the bottom of her bag switched off.
Geemac6 m ago

For when she forgets to take/charge her phone. Backup sits in the bottom …For when she forgets to take/charge her phone. Backup sits in the bottom of her bag switched off.

Why not just get another 3 sim? I leave one in glovebox.
Original Poster
shadey1211 m ago

Why not just get another 3 sim? I leave one in glovebox.

Would like a different network in case of network problems.
O2 Classic is about the cheapest followed by Asda mobile (EE). As with most networks they both require an outgoing chargeable event (call, text, data) every 180 days to keep the SIM alive, some others like Vectone are worse at 84 days.
Geemac18 m ago

Would like a different network in case of network problems.

Fair enough, I've only been in a couple of places where I couldn't get a signal on 3 over the last few years. Thing is you couldn't get a signal on any network.
A few years ago I carried two phones on different networks because I had to be contactable, I've never had problems with the 3 network recently.
Cheapest call, text and data rates for occasional use and isn't Three: O2 Classic Pay as You Go
- 5p min/text/MB
- Make a call or send a text to a chargeable number once every six months to keep the SIM and its credit live.
- So if you have £10 on your SIM today, make a call today, the £10 will never expire as long as you make another chargeable call or text within six months.

Longest SIM validity: Vodafone Pay As You Go 1
- 20p min/text/MB
- For the days that the SIM is actually used, you can't spend more than £1. So, make 5 minutes of calls in a day or send 5 texts or use 5MB of data, then the rest of the day's calls, texts AND data are free, hence the name 'Pay As You Go 1'
- Don't pay a penny on any days where the phone isn't used
- Longest SIM and credit validity - 270 days. Make a chargeable event such as a call or text or use data once every 270 days to keep the SIM and the credit on it live. So if you have £10 on it today, make a one minute call today, you will have £9.80 for 269 days, and when you make another call then, you'll reset the counter and will then have £9.60 to play with for another 269 days.
Edited by: "preecey" 24th Dec 2017
I settle for a 90 day/5gb SIM from EE for my pad and diary a reminder.

Critical to me is that I pay cash and never get any cost overuns turning up on my credit card.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants