need a replacement for Mrs EliTom's Samsung Tab 2 8 incher ...

Found 20th Feb 2016
so wife's Tab 2 8.0 is dying - battery does not last long now and a few other bugs

looking for another 8" Android tablet - she would like to stay with Samsung but the 8" but the Galaxy Tab S2 8" is over £300

looking at the Lenovo Yoga 3 at £130 ish but looking for other ideas

Don't want to go down the Chinese tab route as she uses it every day so it gets heavy use !!

Nvidia Shield too expensive and Kindle ecosystem not desiraeble

any other ideas?

EliTom
Community Updates
14 Comments
I do like the Yoga 3 but in all honesty for the sake of £20 the Shield is far superior. You will find it hard if not impossible to beat the shields spec at £150.
cecilmcroberts

I do like the Yoga 3 but in all honesty for the sake of £20 the Shield is … I do like the Yoga 3 but in all honesty for the sake of £20 the Shield is far superior. You will find it hard if not impossible to beat the shields spec at £150.

I thought the NVIDIA Shield was a gaming device - missus wants a normal Android tablet ... or does the Shield do this also? reviews only talk about the gaming aspect

EliTom
elitom

I thought the NVIDIA Shield was a gaming device - missus wants a normal … I thought the NVIDIA Shield was a gaming device - missus wants a normal Android tablet ... or does the Shield do this also? reviews only talk about the gaming aspectEliTom

It is more or less a normal tablet with the added benefits of the gaming aspect. It does what all others do but they market with the gaming aspect as that is what it really stands out with. It now also has Marshmallow update and they are always pretty good at updating to new versions pretty quick in comparison to the rest. If you had of asked this question 6 months ago I would have said the Yoga without a doubt until I bought one of these for myself (after being pleased with the Shield box)

gsmarena.com/com…642

If you have any other questions about it I'm more than happy to answer for you.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 20th Feb 2016
elitom

I thought the NVIDIA Shield was a gaming device - missus wants a normal … I thought the NVIDIA Shield was a gaming device - missus wants a normal Android tablet ... or does the Shield do this also? reviews only talk about the gaming aspectEliTom

NVIDIA Shield comes with more less stock android, very good tablet so its not just for gaming
Another recommendation for the Nvidia Shield K1 its great
yeah its aimed at gaming but as said looks just like stock android but with a few apps to the shield hub.
Good thing with it being for gamers it has 2 big front facing speakers which give great sound.
Tab 2 is a budget tablet, S2 is high end. There are quite a few inbetween, like the Tab 4 which was £90 in Currys a few weeks ago.
The Sony Z3 Compact Tablet (8-inch) is a great tablet.,had kine almost a year now and its given zero hassles, plus its getting Marshmallow next month. it is pricier though, around 230 or so.
How about a 10 inch?
idealworld.tv/pp/…p=1
Doesn't look a bad price for tab, keyboard, stand, security software
Mrs EliTom's 8 incher seen too much use eh oO X)
allowed

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-zenpad-s-8-0/£125 notes on amazon

eh? its 165 on amazon
i have one of these - its so thin its not that comfy to hold
performance is a little poor for the price
doesn't have hdmi etc
screen is nice and so is the sound
i only really got it as had a voucher
if was spending my own money the shield seems to be the one to go for even if not gaming really

or a lenovo yoga 2 if can get it cheap rather than the 3 - they were a little over 100quid at some point iirc
What about the xiaomi mi pad2. Seen these at Gearbest for about £110 which even if you get caught by customs will still be around your target price.

They have very good reviews and really good spec too
waynehardy

What about the xiaomi mi pad2. Seen these at Gearbest for about £110 … What about the xiaomi mi pad2. Seen these at Gearbest for about £110 which even if you get caught by customs will still be around your target price.They have very good reviews and really good spec too

hmmm - but do I really want any of the Chinese carp?

will take a look but Gearbest are getting slated these days for poor service and delivery

I like the idea of The Shield now

EliTom
elitom

hmmm - but do I really want any of the Chinese carp? :pwill take a look … hmmm - but do I really want any of the Chinese carp? :pwill take a look but Gearbest are getting slated these days for poor service and deliveryI like the idea of The Shield now ;)EliTom

​not had an issue with them personally and had a couple of things from them. not had to deal with cs tho
seriously the mi pad2 is very good according to reviews etc but I agree the shield has good specs and reviews too
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants