Need a sealant tape for laptop motherboard

Posted 22nd May
I am trying to refurbish an old laptop and noticed that the black isolating tape covering the mother board in some areas shrank. I want to cover it back but do you know where I can get such tape? Must be thin and at least 4cm wide.
Also, any other tips for cleaning the motherboard, fans before I put it back together?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Coming from someone who repairs laptops for Dell on a daily basis, you don’t need to do this. Some motherboards I install don’t even come with this from the factory. Are you having any issues with the board itself?
Yes, I have a hardware issue, laptop screen would go all artifacts blocks and freeze then shut off, restart sometimes with bsod and then with startup repair.
I tried diagnosing from elimonation removing bottom cover, holding the screen on my lap then flexing the hinges in and noticed it would happen (so thought motherboard touching something), I then removed all ribbons and placed back, removed the battery, then tried closing the lid again but it never happened again. Think that with battery the motherboard flexes differently touching something.
I now have installed fresh windows 10 and wanted to make sure it is all OK.
The fault was also displayed on hdmi and all diagnostics came up OK.
Ashan8522/05/2020 21:50

Yes, I have a hardware issue, laptop screen would go all artifacts blocks …Yes, I have a hardware issue, laptop screen would go all artifacts blocks and freeze then shut off, restart sometimes with bsod and then with startup repair.I tried diagnosing from elimonation removing bottom cover, holding the screen on my lap then flexing the hinges in and noticed it would happen (so thought motherboard touching something), I then removed all ribbons and placed back, removed the battery, then tried closing the lid again but it never happened again. Think that with battery the motherboard flexes differently touching something.I now have installed fresh windows 10 and wanted to make sure it is all OK.The fault was also displayed on hdmi and all diagnostics came up OK.

reddit.com/r/t…are
Ashan8522/05/2020 21:50

Yes, I have a hardware issue, laptop screen would go all artifacts blocks …Yes, I have a hardware issue, laptop screen would go all artifacts blocks and freeze then shut off, restart sometimes with bsod and then with startup repair.I tried diagnosing from elimonation removing bottom cover, holding the screen on my lap then flexing the hinges in and noticed it would happen (so thought motherboard touching something), I then removed all ribbons and placed back, removed the battery, then tried closing the lid again but it never happened again. Think that with battery the motherboard flexes differently touching something.I now have installed fresh windows 10 and wanted to make sure it is all OK.The fault was also displayed on hdmi and all diagnostics came up OK.

When it goes blue screen, what error message does it bring up? Did you run ePSA diagnostics. Restart the machine and press F12 then diagnostics. If that passes then your next step is to install a fresh copy of Windows which you have done. Then use the Dell command tool to update all drivers including the BIOS then get back to me with your findings.
BIGBOSS7865922/05/2020 23:16

When it goes blue screen, what error message does it bring up? Did you run …When it goes blue screen, what error message does it bring up? Did you run ePSA diagnostics. Restart the machine and press F12 then diagnostics. If that passes then your next step is to install a fresh copy of Windows which you have done. Then use the Dell command tool to update all drivers including the BIOS then get back to me with your findings.

Page fault in non paged area was the last error.
It is an HP. I ran all test, memory check, ssd cpu etc.
Tomorrow will update drivers and close it.
Ashan8523/05/2020 00:14

Page fault in non paged area was the last error.It is an HP. I ran all …Page fault in non paged area was the last error.It is an HP. I ran all test, memory check, ssd cpu etc.Tomorrow will update drivers and close it.

What’s the model number of your machine?
Hp envy 13-d 053sa
Does it look like this :
h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/…265

Sounds like the onboard graphics is overheating.Your processor has this built-in. So, it seems that the processor is overheating.
I would replace the poor factory thermal paste with Arctic cooling MX. If this doesn't resolve it, and if you see a space between the thermal paste and the heatsink, you can add on top a 1p coin or superglue couple of them together and then fill the space.
Btw, those sealant tapes are thermal pads. They are usually found on the RAM chips on a graphics card.
zworld23/05/2020 01:38

Does it look like this …Does it look like this :https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Envy-13-d-screen-artifacts-and-freeze-then-restarts-with/td-p/7614265Sounds like the onboard graphics is overheating.Your processor has this built-in. So, it seems that the processor is overheating.I would replace the poor factory thermal paste with Arctic cooling MX. If this doesn't resolve it, and if you see a space between the thermal paste and the heatsink, you can add on top a 1p coin or superglue couple of them together and then fill the space.

Yes, that's my post.
I was always scared of repasting but I will do it. Bought an mx-4.
I still believe it is a certain contact that does this because when I was flexing the screen with the motherboard at 90 degrees it was happening. Soon as I removed battery, due to change in flex amount and weight balance it stopped doing it.
Ashan8523/05/2020 12:03

Yes, that's my post.I was always scared of repasting but I will do it. …Yes, that's my post.I was always scared of repasting but I will do it. Bought an mx-4.I still believe it is a certain contact that does this because when I was flexing the screen with the motherboard at 90 degrees it was happening. Soon as I removed battery, due to change in flex amount and weight balance it stopped doing it.

That would be the stage when you would need to resolder. I have never done this myself and I would not advise you to do it either. In the old days with NVIDIA graphics cards, you could bake the cards in an oven and the solder would melt and then resolder.
The enxt step would be then to cut your losses and look for another laptop.
Edited by: "zworld" 23rd May
all cleaned up and ready for re-pasting. now I am reading way too much about paste application technique. should I do the pea size? the cpu and gpu are small. gpu is thin and tall and the cpu is almost square, both very small. Would the pea size be enough?

Also, should I take the 2 mini fans apart? they have a tiny screw on the back but not sure if these can be dismantled like the big ones
So thought I should let you guys know.
I have repasted the cpu and GPU. X application for cpu and stripe for GPU.
I also added sellotape on the case where motherboard might touch. Cleaned the fans as well. All screwed back on and it is fixed and stable.
Temperatures are in 40 to 65 range for normal use. It gets supper hot on cpu stress or 4k YouTube steaming which from my research is normal for this kind of ultrathin laptop with ULV cpu.
I have de bloated Windows and the thing flies for browsing and normal office work.
Girlfriend will use it so happy with it. Will monitor how it works and will buy a keyboard base assembly soon.
I kinda like doing this now, might buy a joblot and make money ooyt of my new tinkering hobby 💰
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions