Groups

NEED ABIT OF COMPUTER BOFFIN HELP PLEASE

Banned
    looking to get an ethernet cable down to the room i have at the botom of the garden, however its going to be 100m-120m in length and i only have a 2-3mbit connection speed. what speed would i be getting or is it so long i wouldnt even get any etc. i really wouldn't know how it works etc.

many thanks

Shaazah

11 Comments

The maximum length (maximum certifiable length) for CAT 5 patch or crossover cables is 328 feet (100 meters).

Beyond that, you run the risk of signal loss and other complications.

Why not go wireless ?

Original Poster Banned

lol wireless that will go 100m effectively, through walls and downhill, i should say that i have an extremely large and long garden with my own room at the bottom to escape from the missus, just wanna see if theres a way i can get my computer set up online etc down there, anyways of getting a long cable that will not lose any connection speed?

Swap? My garden is 5m x 5m!

Original Poster Banned

splatsplatsplat;4695423

Swap? My garden is 5m x 5m!

no tah, thanks for the offer. back to the point though

apart from buying an expensive fibre optic router all you can really do if you want a cable is put a switch or hub about halfway along, wouldn't go further than 85m really with the cable and then run another piece of cable from there but I expect having a switch halfway down your garden is going to be a bit of a problem!

shaazah;4695417

lol wireless that will go 100m effectively, through walls and downhill, i … lol wireless that will go 100m effectively, through walls and downhill, i should say that i have an extremely large and long garden with my own room at the bottom to escape from the missus, just wanna see if theres a way i can get my computer set up online etc down there, anyways of getting a long cable that will not lose any connection speed?

You will be extremely lucky to get wireless, As has already been said you could put a hub somewhere half way, Do you have the ethernet cable on a reel at the moment or were you hoping to buy a patch lead online?

SunTzu knows their stuff. A repeater would also do the same thing I think.

the other option is having 2 external directional WiFi arials which would cover 100m. Personally I would go down the fibre route at I have to fibre transcievers and a mate of mine installs fibre optic

Original Poster Banned

thanks for all the help lads, will see what i can figure out

Pick a hub up off ebay for a few quid.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…22
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?914
      3. Sad news about Barcelona26113
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188

See more discussions