Expired

need advice about a laptop returned to saveonlaptops

Found 24th Aug 2011
I need the advice regarding a laptop (hp-probook-4320s) which I bought last month for £400 on a £100 HP Cashback deal from saveonlaptops, it was posted on hotukdeals.

As my OH didn't like the laptop, I returned it. The laptop was powered on once and even did not complete the boot up first time. I mentioned it when I called saveonlaptops to arrange for the return. The guy on the phone said this does not come under the definition of "being used" and as such the restoration charge of 25% of the price will not be applied in this case. Due to problems with the courier service the delivery got delayed but still the laptop reached within 28 days time limit.

However, this afternoon I recieved an email from the sales team
"We have received the machine back the engineers have advised this machine has been used and has been restored.
Please can you advise further?"

What I get from this email, that they are blaming me to restore it after using it. Has anybody dealt with them in such a situation. I will talk to them in the morning but I have little hope as they have such a cheek to already declare it restored. I am really gutted.

Forum members, I will really appreciate any helpful and "positive" comments please.

Many thanks

22 Comments

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Listen to the warnings not to buy a HP next time

It is not about HP, it is about saveonlaptops. I thought it is a good company but seriously, the tactic they have used is really really very cheap. I feel disgusted at their meanness.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

It is not about HP it is about saveonlaptops, I thought it is a good company. But honestly, the tactic they have used is really really cheap. I feel really disgusted about this company.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

It is not about HP it is about saveonlaptops. I thought it was a good company but honestly the tactic they have used is really cheap. I feel disgusted about this company. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Original Poster

mumbojumbo

Did you click on the EULA? If you agreed then it counts as used even if … Did you click on the EULA? If you agreed then it counts as used even if it didn't make it to the start up screen.

Can you please point out where does it say in EULA. The customer services guy confirmed that it does not count as being used. I asked this question explicitly as I didn't want to lose the return postage on the laptop.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

If you kept repeating yourself like you have in this thread i expect the … If you kept repeating yourself like you have in this thread i expect the "guy on the phone" said it to get rid of you

Thanks, it was quite helpful.
I will appreciate any positive responses please.

So you bought a laptop, Decided you don't like it, Sent it back.

No wonder Britain's broke.

Original Poster

mumbojumbo

The screen only comes up once and once you've agreed Windows is activated … The screen only comes up once and once you've agreed Windows is activated on that machine.Edit: What I mean is it only appears before activation. If the screen doesn't come up then it cannot be sold again as "new". It is "used".

The screen did not come up at all.

Original Poster

mumbojumbo

So nothing appeared on the screen when you powered it on?

I did not agree with or accepted anything when the machine was turned on.

Just stick up for your rights as a consumer! You didn't use the laptop, you contacted their customer services to arrange return. Tell them their own CS advised you it was classed as not used - don't be fobbed off. Ask to speak to their manager and escalate until you get what you want a full refund. I think we have forgotten who is customer and who us supplier, sigh.

If you didn't like it, why did you start to power it up then change your mind?

Original Poster

matty127

Just stick up for your rights as a consumer! You didn't use the laptop, … Just stick up for your rights as a consumer! You didn't use the laptop, you contacted their customer services to arrange return. Tell them their own CS advised you it was classed as not used - don't be fobbed off. Ask to speak to their manager and escalate until you get what you want a full refund. I think we have forgotten who is customer and who us supplier, sigh.

Thanks very much for such a reassuring post. I will definitely do the same.

exmouthred

If you didn't like it, why did you start to power it up then change your … If you didn't like it, why did you start to power it up then change your mind?

I liked it and I tried to turn it on but then thought would be better to show my OH first before going ahead with the setup. As apprehended, she didnot like it !

If you get no joy contact consumer direct

Had the same issue with save on in '07. They sent me a laptop it was faulty, so i returned it and said I just want a refund. I was in the first few days of purchase maybe even the first or second day. They said we will charge £50 for use unless you restore it. So I did and they still charged me.

lesson learnt NEVER BUY FROM SAVE ON LAPTOPS...complete Ripoff.

Nothing to do with Save on Laptops, but DSRs - you have used the laptop, regardless of how short a period you have used it for, they have no obligation to accept it back unless it's faulty or unused within the time period stipulated in the DSRs.

Original Poster

Update:
Got full refund for the price though I had to challenge them to prove that it was used /restored by "me". The only possibility of it being restored was that I was sent a used and restored laptop.

Though I got a full refund, but I will never ever deal with this company again! The lady on customer services was the worst sales/customer person I have dealt with in my whole life, what a disgrace. They even refuse to let somebody from returns department talk to you on the phone. The only way to communicate is through email which workd for me though it was very frustrating experience.

Banned

Cool story bro

Banned

realblender

Glad you got yourself sorted. You should write a review on the review … Glad you got yourself sorted. You should write a review on the review sites. The company seem very good at channelling their customers to write postiive reviews which seems to wash out the many genuinely bad experiences like yours. e.g. look at hotukdeals where they have 60+ reviews when bigger companies with more active customers like Dell have only 4 reviews! As far as I can tell, from reading reviews, they are able to deliver a laptop impressively fast. However, if you have any problems or need to call customer services you read about many poor experiences. I personally dislike them for other reasons related to my suspicians of underhand promotional activities but that is another story.

And not one mention of apple!
Edited by: "dimebars" 4th Sep 2011

ordered a laptop from saveonlaptops. Eight days later no delivery in sight.Courier company blamed.However saveonlaptops have no intention of issuing a replacement until courier company accept responsibility. This stinks! Saveonlaptops have been paid and courier company paid. Customer who did the paying is left in the cold.

Wouldn't bother with this crowd again! I ordered a laptop a few days ago - it took nearly an hour as the site kept crashing but I persevered and eventually placed the order. At 5 PM I received a text saying there was a problem with my order and to 'phone them. When I asked them what the problem was I was told it was a random security check 'for my own protection' and he proceeded to ask quite a list of questions (thankfully for my own protection!) At this point I was starting to lose patience, the payment had been taken from my a/c at lunchtime, they had put me on hold for a few minutes when I called (but my call was of course importantt to them!) Anyway, cancelled the order and told them it might be a good idea if they wanted to talk to a customer that maybe they should do the 'phoning! Lost on them I should think.

Hey guys. Never and never buy anything from this company. I have recently bought laptop MSI best gaming laptop from here, it is 1,606 pounds around 1,909 Euro's. I have paid with my credit card directly online from my account. They have received it and then canceled purchase. They never refunded it back. So I just lost 1,909 Euros just like that. Same issue happened to my friend recenlty. I guess they just some cheaters on the net. Now I am in U.K. trying with legitimate ways to sue them with court. Already found a lawyer. So if don't want get same situation avoid and buy from amazon.co.uk instead

Hi i also wanted some advice about save on laptops, i brought an asus laptop from them recently and the day i recieved it i have been emailing them about a returns and no one has responded to my 3 emails. I ordered a new product but the product came open sealed open box. I cant tel if this product is a refurb or brand new but all i see is an open box and i refuse to accept a brand new product in this state, anything could be going on here. I dont want to turn the product on to check incase they drop a restore price on me but saying a this they have not responded to my emails?? What shal i do who do i contact

Original Poster

Niki12345

Hi i also wanted some advice about save on laptops, i brought an asus … Hi i also wanted some advice about save on laptops, i brought an asus laptop from them recently and the day i recieved it i have been emailing them about a returns and no one has responded to my 3 emails. I ordered a new product but the product came open sealed open box. I cant tel if this product is a refurb or brand new but all i see is an open box and i refuse to accept a brand new product in this state, anything could be going on here. I dont want to turn the product on to check incase they drop a restore price on me but saying a this they have not responded to my emails?? What shal i do who do i contact

Hi Nikki sorry to hear that you are going through this with the joke of a company. Don't turn the laptop on, they might charge you for that. I guess it is better to start a new thread and you might be more likely to get a response from other members. Your other options are to ask on other forums like moneysavingexpert, consumer action group and as a last resort citizen advice bureau. All the best !
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions