Need advice for moving out to a rented shared house.

Found 25th Sep 2016
Hi, I've decided to move out to Leicester around city center as I have found a great job there, problem is, I've never lived away from family and I'm 23. I've been scouring the internet and have learned a lot of essential information, but thought I'd like to ask real humans on here for more advice. Any tips in general would do, but I also have a few questions.

Earning around £2,000 p/m after tax, would I be okay in thinking I can manage £300 rent a month, while saving £400-500 a month in my savings account?

How much should I have saved up for moving out in to a furnished rented home, most essentials I already have such as a TV, a PC with monitor, a Playstation 4, etc. So I won't have to start from scratch. Would around £3000 be sufficient enough?

Are there any good guides out there you guys used when first moving out? If so, please link them bellow, as I'd love to read.

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

34 Comments

Heres a quick list to see whats available do you know much about leicester have you got any friends there etc
gumtree.com/fla…ter

Best of luck - I am sure everything will go well. Living with new people there is always give and take --- so many things are better if once a week or month you all drink together or have a house meal: so much harder to fall out with people you like!

Money wise - I have always found if you are strict with a budget you'll stick to it. Also found in house shares that everyone putting in £5 a month into a kitty for communion items (toilet roll, washing up liquid, soap, cleaning stuff) really reduces the stress for everyone! But follow whatever they are doing there, always good to fit in at the start. And don't sweat the small stuff - and pick your battles!

For all else this guide might be useful - moneysavingexpert.com/mor…rty

Onwards!
Edited by: "PD101" 25th Sep 2016

Original Poster

I do have a couple of friends out side of work there, and a few work friends. I know most of the city center, I also went to a university there but didn't actually live in the city, just commuted twice a week (not a degree).

Thanks for the link, will have a look pal.

Original Poster

PD101

Best of luck - I am sure everything will go well. Living with new people … Best of luck - I am sure everything will go well. Living with new people there is always give and take --- so many things are better if once a week or month you all drink together or have a house meal: so much harder to fall out with people you like!Money wise - I have always found if you are strict with a budget you'll stick to it. Also found in house shares that everyone putting in £5 a month into a kitty for communion items (toilet roll, washing up liquid, soap, cleaning stuff) really reduces the stress for everyone! But follow whatever they are doing there, always good to fit in at the start. And don't sweat the small stuff - and pick your battles!For all else this guide might be useful - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/rent-a-propertyOnwards!

Great advice, thanks mate. I think I need to try and stick to my budget as best as possible, it's the only problem I have since I tend to buy junk whenever I see money in my account, especially being a HUKD user haha

Will check out the link, thanks again.

£300 rent £500 savings , what on earth are you spending the other £1200 on ??? That sounds like one massive party lifestyle to me . Make hay while the sun shines ! Seriously though , living with other people is always give and take make sure you like the people first . Put aside money for bills , holidays , car , future house deposit etc before you spend a single penny . Living with other people is fine but in a few years you'll want a place of your own . Good luck on your exciting new adventure

You could always contact the local MP i have heard he is a very friendly sort.

Citizens Advice have a great budget tool here

They also have some good links on finding accommodation here

Banned

You worry too much.

Best of luck... You wont need luck though... Just a couple of deep breathes...

With an income of £2k a month and £300 rent I'd be looking to save £1k a month! Doing that will soon get you some hefty savings for great house deposit in a few years. Once you slip into the lifestyle of burning through money it's very hard to change.

Plenty of scope and income there. My advise would be get 10% deposit saved up asap and buy a house.

Spareroom.co.uk

If you are earning £2K after tax, I think you'll be fine no matter what you end up doing!

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

£300 rent £500 savings , what on earth are you spending the other £1200 on … £300 rent £500 savings , what on earth are you spending the other £1200 on ??? That sounds like one massive party lifestyle to me . Make hay while the sun shines ! Seriously though , living with other people is always give and take make sure you like the people first . Put aside money for bills , holidays , car , future house deposit etc before you spend a single penny . Living with other people is fine but in a few years you'll want a place of your own . Good luck on your exciting new adventure

Although it sounds like a lot, when the expenses add up, it does take it out of me. I'm a bit of a gym head, so I do spend a bit on gym items per month, on top of that I have car insurance and and a few other monthly direct debits. When you look at the big picture, £500 savings is realistic enough, but thanks for your advice and concern, will follow what you said.

Original Poster

tardytortoise

Citizens Advice have a great budget tool hereThey also have some good … Citizens Advice have a great budget tool hereThey also have some good links on finding accommodation here

YouDontWantToKnow

You worry too much.Best of luck... You wont need luck though... Just a … You worry too much.Best of luck... You wont need luck though... Just a couple of deep breathes...

Wadda

Plenty of scope and income there. My advise would be get 10% deposit … Plenty of scope and income there. My advise would be get 10% deposit saved up asap and buy a house.Spareroom.co.uk

cdm22

If you are earning £2K after tax, I think you'll be fine no matter what … If you are earning £2K after tax, I think you'll be fine no matter what you end up doing!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys, also the links, I'll make sure to check every single one of them. Mainly asked these questions because I had no idea if 2k a month was enough since I've never lived on my own and my family have catered to my needs for 23 long years.

Some people have to live on half of that!

Hopefully you find a place that is clean - a lot of people are messy and don't clean up after themselves very well (it only takes one person).

I have found that you need to be quite tolerant as some people can be inconsiderate.

Check whether bills like electricity and gas are included or if they are extra. Whether the place has sky or BT sport included (can make a difference if you find two places charging the same in rent).

Once you have paid your rent and any extra costs related to the flat, then the rest of your pay you need to think about how much you might spend each month on food and drink. If you still have money after that then fantastic! (save for a mortgage or a car).

a major problem can be people you share with stealing from you. then there is the 'I am short this month, can you pay my part of the rent ?'. I knew someone who was drugged by their flatmates and photos taken of her.

good luck.

Banned

jonnithomas

I knew someone who was drugged by their flatmates and photos taken of … I knew someone who was drugged by their flatmates and photos taken of her.good luck.

I hope you told the police

YouDontWantToKnow

I hope you told the police

she wouldn't let me unfortunately. I was told in confidence and she moved out once she had the money. she had made the mistake of thinking they were friends and she went out with them a lot at first.

Banned

jonnithomas

she wouldn't let me unfortunately. I was told in confidence and she moved … she wouldn't let me unfortunately. I was told in confidence and she moved out once she had the money. she had made the mistake of thinking they were friends and she went out with them a lot at first.

I would have called the police & given the names regardless of what she said. Yes they wouldnt prosecute but if they drugged her then they might do it again to someone else or have done it before.

YouDontWantToKnow

I would have called the police & given the names regardless of what she … I would have called the police & given the names regardless of what she said. Yes they wouldnt prosecute but if they drugged her then they might do it again to someone else or have done it before.

yes but she still lived there with them. they had stolen her money and taken the photos. so she was adamant that she couldn't report it to the police. unfortunately I had given my word I would keep what she said in confidence before she told me.

jonnithomas

she wouldn't let me unfortunately. I was told in confidence and she moved … she wouldn't let me unfortunately. I was told in confidence and she moved out once she had the money. she had made the mistake of thinking they were friends and she went out with them a lot at first.

But you'll tell random people on an internet deals website about it? oO

But you'll tell random people on an internet deals website about it? oO

ooops, shock horror.... you caught me there !!!!

this really has embarrassed her as you know (without a doubt) who she is from my description and now you really really know me too

jonnithomas

ooops, shock horror.... you caught me there !!!!this really has … ooops, shock horror.... you caught me there !!!!this really has embarrassed her as you know (without a doubt) who she is from my description and now you really really know me too

You obviously have no idea about the amount people can find out through the internet.

You obviously have no idea about the amount people can find out through … You obviously have no idea about the amount people can find out through the internet.

Why would you say that ? you neither know me or my level of IT knowledge. feel free to trying to locate anything about me I've done it for a living for 35 years lol.

btw if you wanted your binary to say [] it needs to be 1011101010111011

Original Poster

So, I see this thread has turned in to an episode of Mr Robot.. haha

jonnithomas

Why would you say that ? you neither know me or my level of IT knowledge. … Why would you say that ? you neither know me or my level of IT knowledge. feel free to trying to locate anything about me I've done it for a living for 35 years lol.btw if you wanted your binary to say [] it needs to be 1011101010111011

It takes less than 60 seconds to locate a Facebook profile and then take it from there.. You've obviously missed the original point anyway. Say your friend uses this site and is reading through comments and comes across yours? I'm sure she would be happy with that right?

It takes less than 60 seconds to locate a Facebook profile and then take … It takes less than 60 seconds to locate a Facebook profile and then take it from there.. You've obviously missed the original point anyway. Say your friend uses this site and is reading through comments and comes across yours? I'm sure she would be happy with that right?

Prove it. Find my facebook profile.

spoo

Prove it. Find my facebook profile.

You were never involved, this was never about your 'friend'.

You were never involved, this was never about your 'friend'.

It wasn't about your friend either, didn't stop you chiming in.

I'm calling you out on your assertion that the Facebook profile of a random HUKD member can be identified based on what they've posted here.

spoo

It wasn't about your friend either, didn't stop you chiming in.I'm … It wasn't about your friend either, didn't stop you chiming in.I'm calling you out on your assertion that the Facebook profile of a random HUKD member can be identified based on what they've posted here.

The person I said it to has one of the easiest Facebook profiles to find, so in this case you can kindly get yourself to f

The person I said it to has one of the easiest Facebook profiles to find, … The person I said it to has one of the easiest Facebook profiles to find, so in this case you can kindly get yourself to f

yes, and it's a dummy facebook profile. for the hard of thinking it is easy to find because it is fake. there is nothing and nobody on that facebook profile related to me or my address or any location related to me. I also have use of TOR and obscure my true IP address and geographic location. mind you I think this last post shows a lot about you so byyyyeeeeeee.
Edited by: "jonnithomas" 29th Sep 2016

lolololol.... I just thought, why is that facebook account so easy ??? the one that was easy isn't mine !!!!! lololol

What nobody else has said is be prepared to check all the small print on the lease, most say you will be liable for the rent and expenses of another person if they are not around to pay their share!! The landlord must be paid the rent whether there is one of you or 4 of you. Hopefully it wont happen but can if someone runs off without paying their share.
If people are not tidy etc get everyone to contribute to a cleaner or gardener to take the stress away of that job.

Original Poster

googley2

What nobody else has said is be prepared to check all the small print on … What nobody else has said is be prepared to check all the small print on the lease, most say you will be liable for the rent and expenses of another person if they are not around to pay their share!! The landlord must be paid the rent whether there is one of you or 4 of you. Hopefully it wont happen but can if someone runs off without paying their share.If people are not tidy etc get everyone to contribute to a cleaner or gardener to take the stress away of that job.

Thanks mate, still check this thread for advice..
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Driving anxiety.88
    2. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?56
    3. Is this laptop any good33
    4. Appliance direct code or voucher22

See more discussions