Found 18th Dec 2016
I bought Acer i3 laptop from very, not yet delivered but it has only 120 GB SSD drive, although I have 2 TB external drive but I still want at least 250 or 500 GB drive.

My question is it is easy to remove the drive and replace with new, does it void the warranty?

If I am going to sell the one come with laptop how much I should expect to get also any advice for cheap new SSD either 250 or 500 GB

thanks

14 Comments

Which model?

256GB around £40-50, 500GB £90-£120.

It will void the warranty but why would you want that much on board storage if you have a 2TB external?

Original Poster

the product description says 120gb ssd storage, as I still don't have the laptop yet expecting in next two days, so don't know which brand is that

very.co.uk/ace…529

do you recommend which brand is reliable as there are so many in the market

Original Poster

getmeone

It will void the warranty but why would you want that much on board … It will void the warranty but why would you want that much on board storage if you have a 2TB external?

well I have lot of stuff and always have two partitions since I start using PC/laptop, always plug in the external hard drive for me is not comfortable....

Some super thin laptops have the SSD chips soldered on to the motherboard so not replaceable. IF the SSD is replaceable the swapping won't void the warranty .... it's classed as a user upgrade ... BUT if you need to return the laptop you'll need to put the original back in! So you can't sell it. Think if you really need the extra capacity. Most laptops have an SD slot, much slower yes, but if it's just for movies and stuff then will be more than adequate. Exactly what I do with my 64gb Surface Pro

Original Poster

japes

Some super thin laptops have the SSD chips soldered on to the motherboard … Some super thin laptops have the SSD chips soldered on to the motherboard so not replaceable. IF the SSD is replaceable the swapping won't void the warranty .... it's classed as a user upgrade ... BUT if you need to return the laptop you'll need to put the original back in! So you can't sell it. Think if you really need the extra capacity. Most laptops have an SD slot, much slower yes, but if it's just for movies and stuff then will be more than adequate. Exactly what I do with my 64gb Surface Pro

thanks mate very good advice and save me hassle of doing all these changes (selling/buying installing OS again), decide to keep the one come with my new laptop ......

jun19

well I have lot of stuff and always have two partitions since I start … well I have lot of stuff and always have two partitions since I start using PC/laptop, always plug in the external hard drive for me is not comfortable....

Partition all your programs on on one and have your storage as the other. Use a Wifi Caddy and Bob's your uncle.

jun19

thanks mate very good advice and save me hassle of doing all these … thanks mate very good advice and save me hassle of doing all these changes (selling/buying installing OS again), decide to keep the one come with my new laptop ......

Wise decision, you have to remove the screws from the bottom, then pry off the top with keyboard still attached with something like a guitar pick, the ES15 models are plastic, so expect marks to be left where you open it up.

Take your DVD drive out and replace it with a HDD caddy. You got one screw underneath your laptop to unscrew, difficulty level 1/10.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 18th Dec 2016

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

Take your DVD drive out and replace it with a HDD caddy. You got one … Take your DVD drive out and replace it with a HDD caddy. You got one screw underneath your laptop to unscrew, difficulty level 1/10.

thanks mate very useful information

jun19

thanks mate very useful information

Last time I watched a DVD on a laptop was back in 2010. X)

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

Last time I watched a DVD on a laptop was back in 2010. X)

But what if you want to change the OS like my current Dell came with windows 8, I install windows 7 64 bit, so you definitely need a DVD or CD Rom, I know there is a way to install through USB but don't know how to do it

jun19

But what if you want to change the OS like my current Dell came with … But what if you want to change the OS like my current Dell came with windows 8, I install windows 7 64 bit, so you definitely need a DVD or CD Rom, I know there is a way to install through USB but don't know how to do it

For your Dell I would have made copy of Win7 on an usb drive. Press F12 on start up for one time boot sequence then select to boot up once from your usb to install your Win7 OS. There's loads of tutorials on Youtube.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 18th Dec 2016

jun19

But what if you want to change the OS like my current Dell came with … But what if you want to change the OS like my current Dell came with windows 8, I install windows 7 64 bit, so you definitely need a DVD or CD Rom, I know there is a way to install through USB but don't know how to do it

Use this, much easier than DVD: microsoft.com/en-…ool
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769594
    2. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz11
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…53116
    4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48911003

See more discussions