Groups
    EXPIRED

need advice from computer brahs

Hey there,

Im extremely ignorant on computer hardware sorry.

As of right now I have a late 2013 macbook pro with 8GB ram. As beautiful and fun to use it is for general browsing, it for obvious reasons does not run well on games. I exclusively play runecape and CS 1.6 so not sure why decade old games arent running well.

Im now looking for another windows based laptop that can run these two games without any frame drops/fans kicking off. Im sure i dont need a gaming laptop as i dont see myself playing the latest games at all but just to able to play Runescape + CS without the fans going off/getting hot would be nice.

Can someone sort of tell me what I'm looking for specs wise? I dont do any graphic intensive work/programming at all. I imagine 8GB of ram is a minimum, but what about processor/graphics card?

Many thanks

4 Comments

Onboard/Built in graphics have come a long way over the years and I actually bought a refurb Toshiba C50 (i3 4005u/8GB with HD 4400 graphics) which is exclusively used as a second gaming machine when friends come over and this is capable of playing games such as Wargame Red Dragon, Serious Sam 3, Company of Heroes 2, Men of War and Dawn of War 1/2 at 1600x900 at low/medium settings.

"Windows based laptop that can run these two games without any frame drops/fans kicking off"
    While there are a pelethora of machines that will serve up the performance you desire even for under £500, finding one that won't have "fans kicking off" is another matter entirely and part of the reason I note the first paragraph of this comment. If you go with a laptop with a dedicated card the fan will ramp up when playing CS.

As such I would advise finding a laptop with a 7th gen i5 CPU that does not have a dedicated GPU.

Edited by: "dozstanford" 27th Jan

Original Poster

thanks m8,

i'm looking at the dell outlet since they have decent priced laptops on there. If I get anything i5 + 8GB ram, am I good to go? All of these have integrated graphics.

Notebook check has a full list of laptop GPU's including integrated with FPS charts for many games, just be aware that if you want to play CS at 1080p at ultra settings and also demand a 60+FPS then you are going to need a dedicated card and fan noise will sadly be unavoidable.

HD 620 benchies (CS is near the bottom)
    notebookcheck.net/Int…tml
    Edited by: "dozstanford" 27th Jan

Original Poster

dozstanford

Notebook check has a full list of laptop GPU's including integrated with … Notebook check has a full list of laptop GPU's including integrated with FPS charts for many games, just be aware that if you want to play CS at 1080p at ultra settings and also demand a 60+FPS then you are going to need a dedicated card and fan noise will sadly be unavoidable.HD 620 benchies (CS is near the bottom)http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-620.172256.0.html

im honestly not going for ultra settings in anything. As long as it runs at low/medium without frame drops im good to go.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Amazon S&S price fix question22
    2. Has anyone found any Baileys Pumpkin Spiced for sale in the UK ?33
    3. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?11
    4. Three connection45

See more discussions