Need advice on laptop to monitor connections

Posted 27th Dec 2019
Hope you can advise. got a new work laptop and it only has
HDMI,
USB and
USB C ports.

Need to connect it to my large external Samsung monitor which unfortunately only has:

VGA,
DVI and
Display Port
😣

I'd like to get the best quality of picture, so would rather stay away from VGA adapters, but I'm not knowledgeable enough on other ports. What would you get to best connect the two? Cable? Adapter? Docking station? Port replicator?

Thank you for any advice or links

Regards
Gee
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Get a HDMI to Display Port cable or adapter. I work in IT and that’s what we use for over 300 PCs. They’re about £10 on amazon
Edited by: "AdventureDeals" 27th Dec 2019
It looks like DisplayPort to HDMI is a cheap passive adapter, but going from HDMI to DP requires an active adapter.

HDMI to DVI is simple, passive, and bidirectional, but will require an additional connection for audio as DVI does not interpret the audio signal.
AdventureDeals27/12/2019 20:16

Get a HDMI to Display Port cable or adapter. I work in IT and that’s what w …Get a HDMI to Display Port cable or adapter. I work in IT and that’s what we use for over 300 PCs. They’re about £10 on amazon

Thank you very much, that's great. I looked on Amazon, eBay and ebuyer and found few, but prices start from £20 for my direction (hdmi ---> display port). If you happen to know the cable you are using in office, would you mind sending me a name or a link please?

Thanks
misslady28/12/2019 01:42

Thank you very much, that's great. I looked on Amazon, eBay and ebuyer …Thank you very much, that's great. I looked on Amazon, eBay and ebuyer and found few, but prices start from £20 for my direction (hdmi ---> display port). If you happen to know the cable you are using in office, would you mind sending me a name or a link please?Thanks

Hi there. I don’t know the exact one we use but if you search for this on amazon B00ZMVGTA2 it is an adapter. Plug your HDMI cable from your laptop into the adapter and plug the adapter’s DVI side into your monitor.

DVI is the same picture quality as HDMI but there will be no sound pass through.

Hope this is a good solution for you, it’s only £6 too.
matth999928/12/2019 01:24

It looks like DisplayPort to HDMI is a cheap passive adapter, but going …It looks like DisplayPort to HDMI is a cheap passive adapter, but going from HDMI to DP requires an active adapter.HDMI to DVI is simple, passive, and bidirectional, but will require an additional connection for audio as DVI does not interpret the audio signal.

Thank you very much, DVI seems much cheaper, and i don't need sound, so i might start with that and if i don't like the quality, will look into buying DisplayPort option.

Cheers
esar28/12/2019 02:00

DVI is the same as hdmi without the …DVI is the same as hdmi without the soundhttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143467626066

Oooh is it the same? Didn't realise. Learning a lot thank you Esar. Your link is even cheaper then what i found, will get that one 😁
AdventureDeals28/12/2019 04:04

Hi there. I don’t know the exact one we use but if you search for this on a …Hi there. I don’t know the exact one we use but if you search for this on amazon B00ZMVGTA2 it is an adapter. Plug your HDMI cable from your laptop into the adapter and plug the adapter’s DVI side into your monitor.DVI is the same picture quality as HDMI but there will be no sound pass through. Hope this is a good solution for you, it’s only £6 too.

Oh brilliant another option thank you so much 😁
misslady28/12/2019 04:54

Oooh is it the same? Didn't realise. Learning a lot thank you Esar. …Oooh is it the same? Didn't realise. Learning a lot thank you Esar. Your link is even cheaper then what i found, will get that one 😁

Not quite, but HDMI was built on DVI so it's the same basic video protocol and most of the established stuff used by computers is shared between the two.

But more modern requirements like variable refresh rate (freesync) or carrying audio won't work over DVI.

USB is a device control protocol so you can't connect it to a port expecting a video signal, you have to use an external USB video card (which are often marketed as adaptors or incorporated into docking stations).

However, the Type C connector does provide many pins in the intention that they can be used to implement additional protocols. The two most common as DisplayPort and Thunderbolt - the latter of which includes DisplayPort.

So it's worth checking the manual/specs/reviews to see whether your laptop supports Thunderbolt 3 or DisplayPort alternate mode on the Type C connectors.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 28th Dec 2019
Can get as a cable with HDMI one end and DVI the other, £2.49 or thereabouts on ebay depending on length
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions