Need advice on road rage incident

Found 17th May
I was driving on an A road today. A driver in front of me breaks harsh gets out and says I’ve hit his car then takes a pic of me and the front of my car.

I didn’t hit him and the car was far away.

Nothing has happened. Other than him claiming that this happened and taking pics.

His car was quite old I did manage to get a pic of his car, from when he stopped in traffic to show the distance of where he was.

He has some old scuffs on his car being it a really old car.

What do I do.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
deleted1132166
Call the police immediately. Generally the innocent party calls the police first. Hes in affect committing a crime by way of fraud. So that needs reporting. Your car has no blemishes which backs up your story
41 Comments
There’s no damage on my car, at all.
I’ve taken a pic of my car from front to record the time just in case.
Assuming there was no damage previously to the front of your car then do nothing.

Sounds a bit weird, but not road rage unless the other driver was going for it
u6645411 m ago

Assuming there was no damage previously to the front of your car then do …Assuming there was no damage previously to the front of your car then do nothing. Sounds a bit weird, but not road rage unless the other driver was going for it

It is road rage he stopped the car on a busy A road. Got out and grabbed my arm.
u6645411 m ago

Assuming there was no damage previously to the front of your car then do …Assuming there was no damage previously to the front of your car then do nothing. Sounds a bit weird, but not road rage unless the other driver was going for it

No damage at all to front of my car.
deleted1132166
Call the police immediately. Generally the innocent party calls the police first. Hes in affect committing a crime by way of fraud. So that needs reporting. Your car has no blemishes which backs up your story
Just called the police and informed of everything and the assault that took place by him grabbing my arm
This sort of incident, plus our living next to the student blockheads at Warwick University who drift across the road without looking, is precisely why we have dashcams in all our cars. A necessary self defence measure these days
ccnp27 m ago

This sort of incident, plus our living next to the student blockheads at …This sort of incident, plus our living next to the student blockheads at Warwick University who drift across the road without looking, is precisely why we have dashcams in all our cars. A necessary self defence measure these days

Getting one ASAP
I'd also ring your insurance co and tell them that you're worried about a false claim coming in.
mas9947 m ago

I'd also ring your insurance co and tell them that you're worried about a …I'd also ring your insurance co and tell them that you're worried about a false claim coming in.

A lot of people are saying there is no need and a few are saying I should. My mother is saying I should too.
CoolShelly17th May

A lot of people are saying there is no need and a few are saying I should. …A lot of people are saying there is no need and a few are saying I should. My mother is saying I should too.

Usually they will put that on a database and increase your premium
deleted568030
He won't have done it without intending to try and make claim, whether that's damage to his car or injury to himself. Report the incident to your insurance with all of his details that you have and also to the police. You may find he's done this sort of thing before, insurance companies keep, and share details on regular scammers.
Edited by: "deleted568030" 17th May
I really wouldn’t call your insurance! There has been no crash so no need to call them. Police maybe.
I’ve just seen somebody trying to do something very similar in a BMW by the Fort birmingham!
This is exactly why I spent a £100 and got a dashcam fitted by Halfords. This sort of think used to be rife where I live (there was gang who got caught and jailed). Reminds me of a clip where some lad jumped on an innocent women's car

Edit:
Edited by: "INDUSTRYHATER" 17th May
If this ever happens to you, say you've got a dash cam. They won't stick around long enough to check.

Obviously better to actually have one.
eayragt20 m ago

If this ever happens to you, say you've got a dash cam. They won't stick …If this ever happens to you, say you've got a dash cam. They won't stick around long enough to check.Obviously better to actually have one.

When I reached for my phone he went away. Police been informed about the assault and what happened

Just don’t know if I should tell insurance some people saying tell others saying don’t
Do not mention it to your insurers, there was no accident you were the victim of an attempted fraud. If you tell your insurers they will log it on their data base and increase your premium come renewal time as you have reported an incident/accident.
Police report is enough. Insurance only need to be known of an actual accident in this case it didn’t happen. Sounds like fake insurance claim scam
I think it is definitely important to report an incident like that to the police as you have, and to make a note of the crime reference number (not sure if that's the right term).

There is an insurance fraud bureau it seems, I don't know if it would be a good idea to report him to that? insurancefraudbureau.org/ins…ud/
eayragt1 h, 35 m ago

If this ever happens to you, say you've got a dash cam. They won't stick …If this ever happens to you, say you've got a dash cam. They won't stick around long enough to check.Obviously better to actually have one.

Fine, if you don't have one, but if you did actually have a dashcam, then I think it is best not to tell the other party that you have, they might even try to nick it. Better to wait for the police to arrive (if you can get them to come), let them get themselves in trouble by lying to the police, or their insurance company.
About time all cars were fitted with cams as standard. I think one or two are, but a rareity.
Don't report it. If they were to report it they would trace your car via number plate to your insurance company and they would contact you in regards to someone making a claim against you. They would ask you why you didn't report the accident and that is when you tell them that there was no accident hence why you didn't report it.
You've reported it to the police, thats enough for now. If your insurance contact you tell them there was no accident and give them the crime number.
mas9917 h, 16 m ago

I'd also ring your insurance co and tell them that you're worried about a …I'd also ring your insurance co and tell them that you're worried about a false claim coming in.

DONT CALL YOUR INSURANCE!

They will use any excuse to put your premium up.
gcmarcal26 m ago

DONT CALL YOUR INSURANCE! They will use any excuse to put your premium up.

Don't talk rubbish.

OP has a likely fraudster looking to put a false claim in. Letting the insurer know in advance is just sensible.

I've had a no fault accident and when I reported it to my insurer, just for their info, they didn't care (other party paid £2.5K of repair work and provided hire car).
mas9931 m ago

Don't talk rubbish.OP has a likely fraudster looking to put a false claim …Don't talk rubbish.OP has a likely fraudster looking to put a false claim in. Letting the insurer know in advance is just sensible.I've had a no fault accident and when I reported it to my insurer, just for their info, they didn't care (other party paid £2.5K of repair work and provided hire car).

Have you worked for any insurers? I did! just because your insurer didn't bother does not mean that others would not have their premium affected!

I had cases where they contacted the insurers just to ask about a possible claim... Premium went up!
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 18th May
As it happens, I have. I've worked on back end systems for quite a few. And been involved in anti-fraud systems.

Premium will sometimes go up in those cases where something has happened which the policyholder was responsible for. That doesn't apply here. OP has the chance to flag up a fraudster. Sensible insurer will check if the car in question comes up in another claim.
I feel I should correct myself, If you report it then the chances are your renewal premium with your current insurance company is likely to rise. It wouldn't prevent you from getting better quotes from elsewhere though.
.MUFC.23 m ago

I feel I should correct myself, If you report it then the chances are your …I feel I should correct myself, If you report it then the chances are your renewal premium with your current insurance company is likely to rise. It wouldn't prevent you from getting better quotes from elsewhere though.

I've informed the insurance as a log on the system. Not on the claims system, just so the company knows what went on as a heads up that is all.

I felt the need because I also reported it to the Police as the person assaulted me.

Getting a dash cam asap though.
mas991 h, 54 m ago

As it happens, I have. I've worked on back end systems for quite a few. …As it happens, I have. I've worked on back end systems for quite a few. And been involved in anti-fraud systems.Premium will sometimes go up in those cases where something has happened which the policyholder was responsible for. That doesn't apply here. OP has the chance to flag up a fraudster. Sensible insurer will check if the car in question comes up in another claim.

That does not justify your claim. I have seen insurance premiums go up for very silly reasons.

Insurance companies can be very different on their approach on accident or possible claims.

They cannot even agree on a standard for no claims bonus discount.
If he hasn't got the details of where you live or your insurance company then how is he going to claim?
Bigfootpete1 h, 4 m ago

If he hasn't got the details of where you live or your insurance company …If he hasn't got the details of where you live or your insurance company then how is he going to claim?

Apparently you can get them from here:
stayinsured.askmid.com/roa…tml
Bigfootpete6 h, 40 m ago

If he hasn't got the details of where you live or your insurance company …If he hasn't got the details of where you live or your insurance company then how is he going to claim?

U just needs number plate nothint else he will probably claimit essay hit and run .
If you have the footage of you not hitting him let him make a claim, once it goes through, you supply your evidence and he will be done for fraud
Edited by: "mattsk" 22nd May
mattsk3 m ago

If you have the footage of you not hitting him let him make a claim, once …If you have the footage of you not hitting him let him make a claim, once it goes through, you supply your evidence and he will be done for fraud

Thanks mate. I was assaulted, however, I haven't been injured, but assault did take place. He grabbed me basically. Footage shows him pulling out late, and slamming brakes
deleted396333
deleted1132166
Look he pulls this scam a lot. Way it works , makes it seem like it's your fault. Gets aggressive. Than he assesses your reaction. Some people in shock, intimidated by this threatening behaviour might take the easy option of accepting fault.
He makes a claim, gets his money.
Hes made an assessment that you were not enough cowered to accept liability. His scam did not pay off this time. You will not hear from him again.
Goodness knows how many times he has done this to vulnerable more gullable people.
You need to report it asap. You have more than enough evidence on your side.
deleted113216623rd May

Look he pulls this scam a lot. Way it works , makes it seem like it's your …Look he pulls this scam a lot. Way it works , makes it seem like it's your fault. Gets aggressive. Than he assesses your reaction. Some people in shock, intimidated by this threatening behaviour might take the easy option of accepting fault.He makes a claim, gets his money. Hes made an assessment that you were not enough cowered to accept liability. His scam did not pay off this time. You will not hear from him again.Goodness knows how many times he has done this to vulnerable more gullable people.You need to report it asap. You have more than enough evidence on your side.

That could be true.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants