Expired

Need advice please - neighbour says i hit her car but i didn't

Found 19th Jan 2014
Hi, my next door neighbour came round last night and said I had hit his girlfriends car and left some scratches on the door and bumper. She parks next to me when she stays over at his house. There are a couple of small blue scratches on the door but the bumper has black scratches. My car is blue and hers is white .. I have a few scratches on my car but I can't honestly say when I got them. There is no white paint on my car ... She said her damage is going to cost £2500 (there are no dents)? ... I don't want to fall out with them but I don't want to pay for damage I'm not 100% sure I did... She said it was done in the last few days and it was someone where she works that noticed it....... Could I of hit her car and not known?

53 Comments

If you had hit her car hard enough to do £2500 worth of damage I'm sure you would have noticed. A couple of small scratches doesn't cost anything like that to repair. The black scratches on the bumper could be due to it being scratched through to substrate (plastic) so they could have been damaged at the same time as the door but there would be traces of blue around the area. The fact that you have no white paint on yours is a huge clue....

Do you know him well? Has he / you lived there long? It sounds very much like he is trying it on!

Original Poster

I know him as much as a quick Hello. how are you, i dont know his girlfriend to speak to, she is a bit ignorant. I was thinking its a bit much for scratches but would a person who lives that close be that dishonest?

Tell them that you didn't do anything to their car and to speak to the Police to report it and go through the insurance companies as it sounds like they're trying to take you for a ride. Don't be intimidated by them, if you haven't done anything like you say then you have nothing to worry about.

the one who pointed it out to them is probably the one that did it! the scratches could've happened anywhere, at her work place / supermarket car park...... tell them you're not handing over a penny until they can prove it was your car that did it!!
as for £2500, where on earth did they get that quote from??? we went into the back of someone had fairly high speed and our car needed a whole new front panel and that was only just over £1000 for that!!!

Original Poster

I must admit i did feel intimidated, im not too good with confrontation and they kept talking over me. I rang my insurance today but was told to ring back monday.

Original Poster

She said she went to VW and they said it needed new parts - i would say it would come off with a t-cut.

they have no proof it was you could of happened any ware so tell them to go away but not that nice if you get what I mean

jeanetteford9

She said she went to VW and they said it needed new parts - i would say … She said she went to VW and they said it needed new parts - i would say it would come off with a t-cut.

Don't admit to anything they are at it. Don't even discuss it with them just tell them to deal with it through their own insurance company.

Tell them to prove it.

park the cars together so you can compare the damage, check for things like height of scratches, colour match how it was possibly done.

After all that tell them to gather their evidence after all THEY have to prove it was your fault.

I'm sure you can go as far as getting the scratches forensically tested for same paint etc but tell them to foot the cost.

Tell them you are up to your eyeballs in debt and are seriously considering bankruptcy. There is no way you could pay for it yourself, so they will have to go through the insurance companies. It sounds like they are after some cash from you instead of insurance (something similar happened to a friend a few years ago). See how keen they are to pursue it then.

Am I the only one who is thinking how can the OP have a licence and not know if they crashed into someone's car?

I know my car and would know where every mark was done and I would be asking questions of my own if scratches or marks suddenly appeared.

Maybe you should quit driving.

Original Poster

Exactly markvirgo i would know if i had hit someone, thats why i said i didnt.

and in 21 years of driving i have had one accident (3rd year) so i think quitting driving is a bit extreme.

Also i dont have the time to check my car everyday or week for marks, so wrong i know, but life gets in the way!

Original Poster

Thankyou to everyone for taking time to answer, your advice has been really helpful. I know i didn't do it so they can whistle...

Makes me laugh that she still parks next to me despite there being 3 other empty spaces??

Let's get some photos up of the scratches.

hi there i would as previously suggested go through insurance. even if the scratches match up whos to say she didnt hit yours when parking and now trying to blame you? The insurance claim wont get very far without any independant proof either way.the police only really get involved in injury or serious accidents so i dont think you would benefit from that.
have no contact with them to avoid the intimidation. best wishes trace

shouldnt have rung your insurance as your premium will rise next year regardless of any claim being pursued.

Should have just stuck with 'I didnt hit your car'.

Edited by: "chocci" 19th Jan 2014

sounds like a scam. smells like a scam. quess what it is a scam.

Go take some pictures of both cars before anything escalates then any further damage either accidental or purposefully cannot be blamed to yourself

take photos of the scratches and also the area so you can see how both cars are parked also. my guess is it happened at her work!! good luck with getting it sorted.

Very dodgy! Stand your ground. Do not be intimidated. Tell them you are willing to go to court to prove it wasnt you etc
And hey just cz a person lives ' that close' doesnt mean they can't be dishonest.

Dont back down. If you didn't do it why should you pay? Grrrrrrrrrrrr

As everyone else has said, do not admit to anything. It is up to them to prove that you did it.
Be strong and walk away if they approach you

My neighbour reversed into my car a few years back. His green paint was on my car and my silver paint on his. It was 100% him hat had done it. I knocked his door and he just said "nope it wasn't me" went to the police and they just said if I had no evidence even though I had photos etc then there was nothing I could do.

Stand your ground, don't admit to anything and he won't get anything from you

Yes, as mentioned above make sure you take loads of photos as soon as possible of both cars and the alleged damage.

do you have legal cover on your insurance? I'm sure they will fight your corner. As there is no proof I really can't see how they can blame you!
sounds to me like there after a settlement fee from you , £2500 for a scratch. I guess there next quote would be £500 and well call it quits.
You must let the police know too, just for the record
hope you get it sorted!

jeanetteford9

Hi, my next door neighbour came round last night and said I had hit his … Hi, my next door neighbour came round last night and said I had hit his girlfriends car and left some scratches on the door and bumper. She parks next to me when she stays over at his house. There are a couple of small blue scratches on the door but the bumper has black scratches. My car is blue and hers is white .. I have a few scratches on my car but I can't honestly say when I got them. There is no white paint on my car ... She said her damage is going to cost £2500 (there are no dents)? ... I don't want to fall out with them but I don't want to pay for damage I'm not 100% sure I did... She said it was done in the last few days and it was someone where she works that noticed it....... Could I of hit her car and not known?

I'm concerned you have said your not sure. Surely you know if you have touched another car or not? Scratches are a fact of life super market trolleys are the worst so we're all likely to get a few scratches here and there. Does sound like a the girlfreind is trying it on and the boyfriend is probably under pressure from her. Try to get him on his own.

Another question to ask yourself, why would she go to VW to have the car looked at before speaking to you?

tell them to do one and don't entertain any more discussion with them

just pay up you know you did it!

She's probably also claiming this same trick elsewhere; wherever she lives, wherever she works, shops etc.

They're at it.

Do not involve your insurance unless they make a formal claim and demand your details.

Do write them a letter detailing their accusation and be polite and concise in denying any wrongdoing.

Do take photos of both vehicles.

moob

They're at it.Do not involve your insurance unless they make a formal … They're at it.Do not involve your insurance unless they make a formal claim and demand your details.Do write them a letter detailing their accusation and be polite and concise in denying any wrongdoing.Do take photos of both vehicles.

exactly my view ....

do take lots of photos of both cars

do not give them your insurance details

just tell them that if they really feel you are to blame and they have evidence them to put it in writing to you via a solicitor

EliTom

Definitly sounds like someone trying it on .Police won't get involved like someone says onus on them to prove and watch they don't damage your car back.You could install CCTV if it's a shared drive just pointing at your section though...

What a farce! Horrible situation, but make sure you don't let them put you into a corner.
The fact you say you're not sure, I guess I would know if I did or not but if you're sure you didn't make them prove it because they could be saying to anyone the same thing!!!
Ask for time date photos details to really show. If its vague just keep repeating it wasn't you so don't even try to say its me! If you have proof go through solicitor because they just want someone to pay but they have to provide evidence!!

tell them without forensic proof from the insurance company showing that the paint from your car matches theirs and vice versa they can do one as you definitely didn't and would have spoke to them at the time if you had.

What a nasty bind to be in. As someone has already said - you REALLY shouldn't have contacted your insurance company. As they say, you live and learn. It's a disgusting practice but as soon as you even hint to your ins. company of trouble, you are treated as a higher 'risk' and your premium will reflect this. Yes, even if it's not your fault.

Unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that a claim is necessary then no reporting is required. You are only oblidged to report anything to your insurance company when an ACTUAL incident has occured. The worrying thing here is that you don't know if you did any damage or not. I can safely say that in all my years of driving (and I'm not in any way professing to be an expert) I would definitely know if I'd hit someone's vehicle. You just do.

As I see it, you have a few options:

1) As previously mentioned - tell them politely to go jump. Yes, you'll fall out but if you hardly speak anyway then what is there to lose? You can just say you know it's not you so therefore it's up to them to prove otherwise. The fact of the matter is, they don't have a leg to stand on without witnesses/proof etc. The timescale is also on your side. If they hadn't noticed it for 'days' then it could have happened at any point in time, anywhere the car has been inbetween then and now. Of course, that doesn't stop a 'witness' just popping up to support their case...

2) Make a claim. You've already started the ball rolling (as it were) by talking to your ins. company so the damage is done. They may be trying it on - who knows. Perhaps you did damage the car (unknowingly) but you're trying to convince yourself that you didn't? Remember: if you go down route 1, you can be in no doubt whatsoever that it wasn't your doing.

3) Have the paint analysed. Either you get it done - or ask them to get it done to prove it's yours. Of course, they may have already scraped some paint off of your car to add to the damage on theirs. If that is the case then they have you over a barrel anyway so option 2 will come in to effect.

4) Free consultation with a solicitor. Bit extreme but you could have a quick word with a solicitor and ask their advice. Most have a free consultation period and it wouldn't take long to ask them - "What do I do if my neighbour is saying I damaged their car but I know I didn't?" They will know the legal implications and be best to advise you which route to take next. As I said, extreme option but worth consideration.

My advice? Option 1 unless your own personal feeling is giving you any doubt as to whether you 'could' be responsible. I absolutely despise situations like this; and feel for you; as there is never a "win win" ending. You might not pay out but you will alienate yourself from this neighbour. It is inevitable. If you do decide to cough up, they'll be proud as peacocks (if they are trying it on) or see you as an easy touch and you'll feel animosity towards them for doing so. Unless you are the 'turn the other cheek' variety of person, that is.

The decision is ultimately yours as the ball is firmly in your court. Now, are you going to punt it back into theirs? Good luck, OP.

Regards, Phsy.

Tell him to get stuffed or show you the proof..

Innocent until proven guilty, ask them to prove it. You could say she damaged your car!

Don't know where you live but Groupon are offering a scratch removal service which I believe was £14

As everyone says, it's simply down to evidence. You should also know if you actually hit the car or not. Think? Have you hit their car?

If no, then just tell them 'It wasn't me'. Don't under any circumstance tell them you're sorry you hit their car as this proves your guilt.

The amount to repair the vehicle is excessive. And also if you barely scratches the car what part are they asking for?

As mentioned previously take pictures of your car and their's so they can't change it anyway eg. scrapping paint off your car and adding it to their scratch.

If you are honestly sure it wasn't you then just tell them. From what you said they are trying it on.

PS: if you do take pictures then post them up here for all of us to have a look at

So no-one saw you do it and you don't think you did it? Tell them that for all you know, she hit you and you will counter their action with your own. They're clearly trying it on.

markvirgo

Am I the only one who is thinking how can the OP have a licence and not … Am I the only one who is thinking how can the OP have a licence and not know if they crashed into someone's car?I know my car and would know where every mark was done and I would be asking questions of my own if scratches or marks suddenly appeared.Maybe you should quit driving.

I agree, Who does not know if they have hit a another
car???
Edited by: "pcfix123" 20th Jan 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants