Need advice with adhesive for vinyl tiles

Posted 27th Jun
I am going to attempt to lay my vinyl tiles on top off the vinyl flooring which is already down in kitchen....I want to make them extra secure and was wanting some advice on what would be better to use...
PVA Adhesive and Sealer
Heavy Duty Adhesive Spray
Gorilla Glue

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Do the new vinyl tiles have an adhesive backing?

Is the old flooring vinyl tiles or vinyl sheet?
AC-ZEP-GEN-DC27/06/2020 13:31

Do the new vinyl tiles have an adhesive backing?Is the old flooring vinyl …Do the new vinyl tiles have an adhesive backing?Is the old flooring vinyl tiles or vinyl sheet?

Yes...they have an adhesive backing but most of the reviews stated they don’t properly stick and to use extra adhesive and it’s vinyl sheet I would be laying them on top off(y)
Usually it's best to not use any extra glue on self adhesive tiles. You could well end up with excess glue seeping, glues interacting or tiles slipping. Generally just clean the floor well, lay the tiles out flat for 24 hours in a warm room before use and avoid heavy use or dragging anything on the newly laid tiles for a day or two.
Obviously make sure the floor is flat and level and don't force a tile to fit, if you do it will lift over time .
I used self adhesive tiles in a bathroom. The floor was very uneven. Rather than re lay the floorboards I cut some marine ply to fit the floor. This gave me a smooth flat surface. That floor lasted for 6 years until the wife decided on a change of colour scheme.
I tend to agree with prior comment about not using extra glue. I do think the problem you may encounter is laying them on sheet vinyl. I guess it depends how well glued down the current vinyl is but if it moves in any areas then the tiles will also move. You might therefore need to remove the old flooring first and then see how solid the floor is below it.
Ringfinger27/06/2020 13:44

Usually it's best to not use any extra glue on self adhesive tiles. You …Usually it's best to not use any extra glue on self adhesive tiles. You could well end up with excess glue seeping, glues interacting or tiles slipping. Generally just clean the floor well, lay the tiles out flat for 24 hours in a warm room before use and avoid heavy use or dragging anything on the newly laid tiles for a day or two. Obviously make sure the floor is flat and level and don't force a tile to fit, if you do it will lift over time .I used self adhesive tiles in a bathroom. The floor was very uneven. Rather than re lay the floorboards I cut some marine ply to fit the floor. This gave me a smooth flat surface. That floor lasted for 6 years until the wife decided on a change of colour scheme.

AC-ZEP-GEN-DC27/06/2020 14:11

I tend to agree with prior comment about not using extra glue. I do think …I tend to agree with prior comment about not using extra glue. I do think the problem you may encounter is laying them on sheet vinyl. I guess it depends how well glued down the current vinyl is but if it moves in any areas then the tiles will also move. You might therefore need to remove the old flooring first and then see how solid the floor is below it.

Ok...thanks for the advice guys...I will just remove the old vinyl flooring and stick tiles to original concrete floor(y)
Mich8ll827/06/2020 15:19

Ok...thanks for the advice guys...I will just remove the old vinyl …Ok...thanks for the advice guys...I will just remove the old vinyl flooring and stick tiles to original concrete floor(y)

I've stuck vinyl floor tiles onto existing vinyl with no issues at all. Made it easier as there was a straight line pattern on the vinyl, which had been professionally laid, so I would use this to ensure I got the tiles straight!
Use adesive spray glue.
JimboParrot27/06/2020 20:25

I've stuck vinyl floor tiles onto existing vinyl with no issues at all. …I've stuck vinyl floor tiles onto existing vinyl with no issues at all. Made it easier as there was a straight line pattern on the vinyl, which had been professionally laid, so I would use this to ensure I got the tiles straight!

My mum said she has also put vinyl tiles on top off vinyl and worked out fine...I want it to be a quick and easy process(y)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants