Need advise from builders/home owners

Posted 24th Dec 2019Edited by:"adamey19"
The house I am buying, I am planning on creating something like below towards end of the garden. Since the sale has not completed yet, I can't take any builders with me for a quote as per the owners request. To help me budget, I want to roughly know how much would it cost me to build this, mainly interested in knowing the cost of structure and wiring, not the furniture.

3373289.jpg
I have roughly 11m by 11m to play with.

Any advise on what type of materials I can use, would be helpful. This outbuilding will be used as gym and games room.

EDIT: I just took the diagram from Google images to show rough indication of what I want and I am happy have smaller courtyard in return for fair size of the inner building.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
11m? But your diagram is in feet. Not sure you can fit all that in 11m(2)

The master bedroom and Living room come to 8.4m leaving you less than 3 metres for the courtyard, yet you have it as 13' (4m) wide.
Bigfootpete24/12/2019 15:51

11m? But your diagram is in feet. Not sure you can fit all that in …11m? But your diagram is in feet. Not sure you can fit all that in 11m(2)The master bedroom and Living room come to 8.4m leaving you less than 3 metres for the courtyard, yet you have it as 13' (4m) wide.

I just took the diagram from Google images to show rough indication of what I want and I am happy have smaller courtyard in return for fair size of the inner building.

Sorry for the confusion, should have said this in OP.
Edited by: "adamey19" 24th Dec 2019
I cant help you on prices, sorry but have you considered just buying a log cabin. like this or similar? costco.co.uk/Gar…994
How long is a piece of string?

I have friends who had a building built for an elderly parent at the end of their garden - water, drains and electricity supply runs were expensive, a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living area were constructed. The costs spiralled and it was thousands as they went through the council to ensure there were no issues later as it was going to be lived in.

You can go online and get quotes from log cabin companies just from supplying measurements etc.
Why don't you just buy an 11m by 11m shed, stick it on a concrete base, insulate the all interior sides (walls, floor, & ceiling), then plasterboard the interior walls? Add flooring to suit; if it is going to be primarily a gym then use rubber matting (or similar).
flang24/12/2019 16:00

I cant help you on prices, sorry but have you considered just buying a log …I cant help you on prices, sorry but have you considered just buying a log cabin. like this or similar? https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Garden-Structures/Log-Cabins/Forest-Garden-Woodbury-58mm-Log-Cabin-22ft-9-x-13ft-1-70-x-40m/p/186994

Hadn't thought of that, will look into it - but as I will be using the room as gym, going by just the name log cabin I don't think it'll be strong enough.
fanpages24/12/2019 16:03

Why don't you just buy an 11m by 11m shed, stick it on a concrete base, …Why don't you just buy an 11m by 11m shed, stick it on a concrete base, insulate the all interior sides (walls, floor, & ceiling), then plasterboard the interior walls? Add flooring to suit; if it is going to be primarily a gym then use rubber matting (or similar).

Will look into that as well, thanks.
JimboParrot24/12/2019 16:02

How long is a piece of string?I have friends who had a building built for …How long is a piece of string?I have friends who had a building built for an elderly parent at the end of their garden - water, drains and electricity supply runs were expensive, a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living area were constructed. The costs spiralled and it was thousands as they went through the council to ensure there were no issues later as it was going to be lived in.You can go online and get quotes from log cabin companies just from supplying measurements etc.

will check online but when I posted this, I was just aiming to get some advise from people who have carried out similar work or builders who have experience around this area.
adamey1924/12/2019 16:06

Will look into that as well, thanks.

I did something similar about 15 years ago (albeit will a slightly larger set of dimensions). My "outbuilding" has a fair few electrical sockets & lighting (on a separate ring circuit) & is covered by my house alarm system too.
fanpages24/12/2019 16:08

I did something similar about 15 years ago (albeit will a slightly larger …I did something similar about 15 years ago (albeit will a slightly larger set of dimensions). My "outbuilding" has a fair few electrical sockets & lighting (on a separate ring circuit) & is covered by my house alarm system too.

How much did it roughly cost you and do you have to do regular maintenance or is it still holding from when you set it up?
have you asked the council whether this would get planning approval? something of this nature would need planning permission i would have thought. and you would definitely need building regulations approval.
mutley124/12/2019 16:13

have you asked the council whether this would get planning approval? …have you asked the council whether this would get planning approval? something of this nature would need planning permission i would have thought. and you would definitely need building regulations approval.

Will carry out the necessary checks once we have completed the house purchase but until then the owners have asked us to not do anything
No maintenance required at all. The year before last I cleared off the plant growth that had scaled the exterior over the years, but it is still as good as it was when erected.

The cost in November 2004 was...
£2,237 (including VAT) for the shed (delivered & erected).
Insulation materials: 2x£316 (two separate orders when we realised we should have doubled the amount).
Interior wallboards & nails: £226.
Flooring: £270.
Wood for roof: £40.

The electrical work was bundled-in with the re-wiring of our main property & I don't have the paperwork immediately to-hand. You'll need a sparky to do this for you though; so will probably need to get a quote if you were interested in doing this.
Great, thanks for the prices. Probably the prices have gone up a fair bit but I will also be rewiring the house itself so can probably fit the wiring of the backroom into that. Cheers, will look into this

If you don't mind me asking, do you have something similar to the image I pasted above in terms of the structure?
Edited by: "adamey19" 24th Dec 2019
adamey1924/12/2019 16:14

Will carry out the necessary checks once we have completed the house …Will carry out the necessary checks once we have completed the house purchase but until then the owners have asked us to not do anything

you may find that you will not get planning permission to build such a structure at the back of your garden so if you are buying the property with this in mind then you should not bank on it.

your first priority would be the planning permission, as without that, there is no point in looking at anything else. you can contact the council planning department and ask them whether in principle, they would approve something like this. they will often give you guidance on whether this could be approved or whether it is a complete no no.
mutley124/12/2019 16:28

you may find that you will not get planning permission to build such a …you may find that you will not get planning permission to build such a structure at the back of your garden so if you are buying the property with this in mind then you should not bank on it.your first priority would be the planning permission, as without that, there is no point in looking at anything else. you can contact the council planning department and ask them whether in principle, they would approve something like this. they will often give you guidance on whether this could be approved or whether it is a complete no no.

Thanks for the heads-up, will check with the local council but it won't be a biggie if this is not approved.
This will cost a fortune to make and create
ashmac24/12/2019 20:42

This will cost a fortune to make and create

Well you're helpful aren't you
mutley124/12/2019 20:52

this is information that may …this is information that may helphttps://www.homebuilding.co.uk/do-i-need-planning-permission-for-an-annexe/

Thanks
£20K ?

Really building 'properly' will be around £1k/m2 prices I've seen for garden rooms seem to start around £10k.
As long as your 2m from the boundary and not taking more then 50% of the land you should be able to do this through permitted development. I did post it recently on here on another profile.
You would be looking in the region of £20k plus materials I would have thought. If you have trees nearby that may push it up by £3 - 5k for a raft foundation. If you need help just pm me and I provide you with my WhatsApp number for any advice. Good luck.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions