Need an angle grinder!!

Found 5th Jul 2008
I need an angle grinder as need to cut up some concrete slabs as doing my garden and was wondering will it be better to hire one out or should I buy one and may need it in future as do alot of D.I.Y!! Can anyone make any suggestions and dont want to buy cheap ones as they will only last a day but not too expensive!!

Anyone got any for sale maybe?

Cheers

10 Comments

you can get a 9 inch one for about £20
you need a diamond wheel though (quicker)

Angle grinders are really cheap, you need to compare the price of hiring one to buying one.
It is sometimes cheaper to buy one.

They are not something you will get a lot of use out of to be honest, so I wouldn't factor that too much into your decision.

Original Poster

thesaint;2460432

Angle grinders are really cheap, you need to compare the price of hiring … Angle grinders are really cheap, you need to compare the price of hiring one to buying one.It is sometimes cheaper to buy one.

I know, it will be good to own one, any good brands? Need in in a day or two so will have to buy from shop rather than net!

Hi,
I would NEVER be without an angle grinder. So much quicker for doing LOTS of stuff around the house.
Depends how much concrete you have to cut up really. I would make do with a 4" if it was only half a doz or so slabs but more than that go for a 9".

B&Q 4" Angle grinders are OK.

For a 9" They can be expensive for a good one. I have an ALDI special(£29.99) and it is not bad.

Screwfix possibly? (pick up or deliver next day)

When using it let the cutting wheel do the work. If the motor is slowing down too much, ease off. They will burn out quite easily if you don't use your head.

Original Poster

rizla01;2460481

Hi,I would NEVER be without an angle grinder. So much quicker for doing … Hi,I would NEVER be without an angle grinder. So much quicker for doing LOTS of stuff around the house.Depends how much concrete you have to cut up really. I would make do with a 4" if it was only half a doz or so slabs but more than that go for a 9".B&Q 4" Angle grinders are OK. For a 9" They can be expensive for a good one. I have an ALDI special(£29.99) and it is not bad.Screwfix possibly? (pick up or deliver next day)When using it let the cutting wheel do the work. If the motor is slowing down too much, ease off. They will burn out quite easily if you don't use your head.

Cheers and I need to cut up roughly around 15-20 slabs and few on them concrete bricks (the leaf shaped ones when building on wall, forgot what they called)!! Will have a look in B&Q and screwfix. What are they like on gurantee as if returning it, if it burns out?

Both of them will not be a problem generally.

Get a variety of discs too.

Note:
If you are only going to cut them up roughly, then use a hammer & chisel. A LOT cheaper.

Original Poster

rizla01;2460750

Both of them will not be a problem generally.Get a variety of discs … Both of them will not be a problem generally.Get a variety of discs too.Note:If you are only going to cut them up roughly, then use a hammer & chisel. A LOT cheaper.

Going to cut them half in diagonal shapes!! lol Going to make it look fancy!!! :thumbsup:

I would score the surface and each edge of the slab down to about 6mm then lay the slab on sand and use a bolster & club hammer first, then clean of the edge afterwards.

Depending on the quality of the slab this should give a clean cut and save a lot of work/time.

Good luck.

If ya doing a lot then hire a wet stone cutter if ya don't want dust everywhere :roll:

A good grinder will cost ya about £35 upwards, go for Makita, AEG, Hitachi or Bosch blue range.

£15 Wickes one would be ok for home use
]http//ww…893

Original Poster

owlass;2460993

If ya doing a lot then hire a wet stone cutter if ya don't want dust … If ya doing a lot then hire a wet stone cutter if ya don't want dust everywhere :roll:A good grinder will cost ya about £35 upwards, go for Makita, AEG, Hitachi or Bosch blue range.£15 Wickes one would be ok for home use ]http://www.wickes.co.uk/Grinders/800W-Angle-Grinder/invt/186893

Thanks will look into it, but the water ones cost a bit dont they?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Free Now tv vouchers Giveaway. And a few others29
    2. Young Person's Railcard upper age limit going up to 30!915
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19548074
    4. A christmas wish2240

See more discussions