Need an app to monitor dropouts on WiFi

Posted 3rd Dec
WiFi keeps dropping . Need an app that logs any dropouts and I can print a log off so I can give network provider some grief. Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Are you talking about WiFi dropping out or your internet connection?

If Wifi then buy a mesh network .i.e tenda/google home WiFi/bt home WiFi

The google home app alerts me when my network is down which is rare.

If internet then you need to probably have a look at google or see if the modem/router has logging.
Log in to router. Go to stats page. Screenshot / print connectivity logs. That will show (supply) connectivity history. Credible wifi connectivity history will require a dedicated device placed and stationary within various areas within range.
Why does the ISP deserve the grief?
Have you plugged the router directly into the master socket and let it run from there for 48 hours?
As AndyRoyd has said, there is an actual uptime log in your router. Google the ISP hubs type for login details.
Do devices connected by Ethernet drop out?
Have you scanned the WiFi channel usage to see if you and your neighbours are all saturating the same WiFi Channel?

From any computer try running a script with ping google.com -t > C:\pinglogs\ping.txt. (Will double check -t switch) This will
Continuously ping and give you a record of when connectivity drops. If it’s an Ethernet device, good chance it’s the line. If Wi-fi odds on the WiFi coverage/channels.

I used to use ping -t when playing Wow in a laptop using a mobile connection, via a Sony Ericsson D850. It prevented the connection from going to sleep. In this case it will show when a timeout occurs and when the connection reinstates.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 3rd Dec
AndyRoyd03/12/2019 20:22

Log in to router. Go to stats page. Screenshot / print connectivity logs. …Log in to router. Go to stats page. Screenshot / print connectivity logs. That will show (supply) connectivity history. Credible wifi connectivity history will require a dedicated device placed and stationary within various areas within range.

Thanks will find out how to do that.
Oneday7703/12/2019 21:03

Why does the ISP deserve the grief? Have you plugged the router directly …Why does the ISP deserve the grief? Have you plugged the router directly into the master socket and let it run from there for 48 hours?As AndyRoyd has said, there is an actual uptime log in your router. Google the ISP hubs type for login details. Do devices connected by Ethernet drop out?Have you scanned the WiFi channel usage to see if you and your neighbours are all saturating the same WiFi Channel? From any computer try running a script with ping google.com -t > C:\pinglogs\ping.txt. (Will double check -t switch) This willContinuously ping and give you a record of when connectivity drops. If it’s an Ethernet device, good chance it’s the line. If Wi-fi odds on the WiFi coverage/channels.I used to use ping -t when playing Wow in a laptop using a mobile connection, via a Sony Ericsson D850. It prevented the connection from going to sleep. In this case it will show when a timeout occurs and when the connection reinstates.

ISP may deserve the grief of I find that it's not the WiFi or router that's dropping, but the connection between junction and the house. I had this issue before, where an openreach engineer worked on the cabinet and the signal dropped 20 plus times a minute. Turned out (eventually, after jumping through loads of hoops) that an engineer working on the cabinet had loosened a load of terminals and not tightened them. Every time a large vehicle drive past the vibration caused a disconnection. Then because of DLM my speed kept going down till I was in kbps.
So I'm trying to see if it is the router, WiFi or external issue.
I have already changed to an uncrowded channel.
Other point, I don't have a master socket, with the engineers socket inside. It comes directly from outside the house to a normal socket.
Ringfinger04/12/2019 10:09

ISP may deserve the grief of I find that it's not the WiFi or router …ISP may deserve the grief of I find that it's not the WiFi or router that's dropping, but the connection between junction and the house. I had this issue before, where an openreach engineer worked on the cabinet and the signal dropped 20 plus times a minute. Turned out (eventually, after jumping through loads of hoops) that an engineer working on the cabinet had loosened a load of terminals and not tightened them. Every time a large vehicle drive past the vibration caused a disconnection. Then because of DLM my speed kept going down till I was in kbps.So I'm trying to see if it is the router, WiFi or external issue.I have already changed to an uncrowded channel.Other point, I don't have a master socket, with the engineers socket inside. It comes directly from outside the house to a normal socket.

I’m not saying that the ISP isn’t to blame. There are many reasons why this internet drops. I’ve gone though lots of hardware to finally have a stable connection in my house, from a WiFi perspective.

What ISP do you have? If it’s cable then I understand no master socket. As you mention Openreach then you will have BT cabling. There should be a master socket, especially if you have Fibre to Cabinet FTC. If you have no master socket, then raise that as an issue as extensions are notorious for bad connections.
Ringfinger04/12/2019 10:09

ISP may deserve the grief of I find that it's not the WiFi or router …ISP may deserve the grief of I find that it's not the WiFi or router that's dropping, but the connection between junction and the house. I had this issue before, where an openreach engineer worked on the cabinet and the signal dropped 20 plus times a minute. Turned out (eventually, after jumping through loads of hoops) that an engineer working on the cabinet had loosened a load of terminals and not tightened them. Every time a large vehicle drive past the vibration caused a disconnection. Then because of DLM my speed kept going down till I was in kbps.So I'm trying to see if it is the router, WiFi or external issue.I have already changed to an uncrowded channel.Other point, I don't have a master socket, with the engineers socket inside. It comes directly from outside the house to a normal socket.

If you wish to monitor your internet connection (as opposed to wifi), Adslguide have a ping test for monitoring packet loss/latency, the graph would show when the connection has dropped.

Your router must support responding to remote ICMP ping requests, some have an option in the settings where they drop by default.

thinkbroadband.com/bro…ity
Thanks guys, I will look into this. I'm not computer literate, I learn by chasing down problems. So if I get a new problem I start from scratch.
I do have FTC but no master socket. I had ADSL before. I'm with Plusnet, who have been brilliant in the past but I want to go to them and say 'I've done this.. and here's the results'.

We have Netflix, via a youview box and that is rubber banding all the time. Many Internet channels pixellate and/or freeze.

I used to play Wow to, but it became a chore with all the expansions and trying to keep up with all the new players who got all the free boosts.
Ringfinger04/12/2019 10:45

Thanks guys, I will look into this. I'm not computer literate, I learn by …Thanks guys, I will look into this. I'm not computer literate, I learn by chasing down problems. So if I get a new problem I start from scratch.I do have FTC but no master socket. I had ADSL before. I'm with Plusnet, who have been brilliant in the past but I want to go to them and say 'I've done this.. and here's the results'.We have Netflix, via a youview box and that is rubber banding all the time. Many Internet channels pixellate and/or freeze.I used to play Wow to, but it became a chore with all the expansions and trying to keep up with all the new players who got all the free boosts.

Ah plusnet!

There's reportedly an issue with 5ghz wifi with the latest firmware on their hub one router.

I believe they currently recommend turning 5ghz off if you have the affected version.

Firmware v4.7.5.1.83.8.263 is apparently the buggy version.

Ispreview item here:- ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml

I think I read one person claimed splitting the 2.4 and 5ghz bands and setting manual channels fixed the issues for them, so that might also be worth trying, but no one else has confirmed that.

Unfortunately, I don't think their firmware will work with the latency test I posted.

I'm with plusnet myself at the moment, not using the supplied router though, it is currently waiting to be flashed with the latest openwrt, it's the same hardware as the BT hub 5A.

If you have been with BT in the past and still have a BT hub 5 or a BT smart hub, that can be used with plusnet (it will accept the plusnet username + password since they are owned by BT)
Edited by: "melted" 4th Dec
melted04/12/2019 11:49

Ah plusnet!There's reportedly an issue with 5ghz wifi with the latest …Ah plusnet!There's reportedly an issue with 5ghz wifi with the latest firmware on their hub one router.I believe they currently recommend turning 5ghz off if you have the affected version.Firmware v4.7.5.1.83.8.263 is apparently the buggy version.Ispreview item here:- https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-one-router.htmlI think I read one person claimed splitting the 2.4 and 5ghz bands and setting manual channels fixed the issues for them, so that might also be worth trying, but no one else has confirmed that. Unfortunately, I don't think their firmware will work with the latency test I posted.I'm with plusnet myself at the moment, not using the supplied router though, it is currently waiting to be flashed with the latest openwrt, it's the same hardware as the BT hub 5A.If you have been with BT in the past and still have a BT hub 5 or a BT smart hub, that can be used with plusnet (it will accept the plusnet username + password since they are owned by BT)

Unfortunately most of what you posted means little to me. I will have a read and then see what I can do. If it is a firmware issue then that's a small relief. I've had this router for about 6 years. So maybe get another one? Thanks
Ringfinger04/12/2019 13:53

Unfortunately most of what you posted means little to me. I will have a …Unfortunately most of what you posted means little to me. I will have a read and then see what I can do. If it is a firmware issue then that's a small relief. I've had this router for about 6 years. So maybe get another one? Thanks

First thing to do is to confirm if you have a plusnet hub one, and check if it has the buggy firmware version.

To check, open the router web user interface, which should be 192.168.1.254, select troubleshooting and helpdesk.

If it is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 then go into advanced settings, and change the wireless settings to split 2.4ghz and 5ghz, then disable 5ghz to see if that fixes the issue. Don't forget to turn it back on once they find the bug and release new firmware. You could also ask for help on the plusnet forum.

39255747-61lCo.jpg
Edited by: "melted" 4th Dec
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants