Need an autostart MP3 player for a Prank....

Found 11th Jun
Hi all,

Need some advice on a prank i'm planning.

Does anyone know of anyway, can be any device that will autostart playing MP3 when the electric is switched on.

I have a mechanism to autostart the mains, but I want a connected device that will start playing an mp3 when the electric is switched on.

Must be mains operated.... Any suggestions?
Community Updates
AskAudio & Hi-FiMusic
13 Comments
Hmmm, that's an interesting problem. It's not really how 'digital' things work today, is it? The idea of something autostarting isn't the norm as everything is menu driven etc.

The ONLY thing I can think that would definitely work would be to go "low-tech" and get an old tape-deck. Record the 'whatever' from MP3 to tape. Pop it in the tape deck and press "play" - then turn off the leccy. When power is restored, the tape deck would still be in 'play' mode and would continue to play.

Worth considering?

Regards, Phsy.
I am guessing you are trying to spook someone? What about walkie talkie radios to transmit the sounds.

33969687-qIbk9.jpg
Spook is correct, however walkie talkies usually need a button press and usually have a lot of static.
I need something a bit more subtle.

Is there any mobile phone (android) apps that I can activate to play a song remotely???

@Phys - already thought of the tapedesk, in fact I tested it, but due to the mechanism, it makes a loud clunking sound when switched on. Seem something smooth.
Edited by: "Sharpharp" 11th Jun
Any computer can be set to turn on automatically when power is on. From there you simply have a start up script that plays any file, a bit of a bulky solution however. Even if you used a raspberry pi you would also need speakers.
What kind of voltage are you talking about?

If you happy with it being remote activated then a cheap bluetooth speaker would do the job.
joedastudd23 m ago

What kind of voltage are you talking about?If you happy with it being …What kind of voltage are you talking about?If you happy with it being remote activated then a cheap bluetooth speaker would do the job.

Mains-operated Smartplug (240V) to switch on the device, but it's a device that auto-starts playing or lets me start play that I need. Also can't be a PC, need something portable
If he has a router you could use an app on a mobile phone like automate it or use teamviewer on a mobile phone and start the music or sounds from that
Cheapest would probably be a Raspberry Pi Zero with a cheap or recycled speaker and just set it to auto play the file on boot. Might need to make a backup of the sd card after setting it up as cycling the power a bunch would probably corrupt it after a while.
Any sort of computing device should be capable of this, although they'd typically have long startup times.

Depending on how long it's sitting idle perhaps you could have the device playing the audio all the time and have the speakers switched on by the mains.
What about an MP3 capable Doorbell.
Force the switch to on, all the Time. The rig some kind of relay slave to switch the power on.

The Rasp Pi idea above was my first choice.
So what's going happen like someones going come home and then the music turns on to scare them or something cant u hide somewhere or just put it on as a ringtone and then ring that number at the time and it just play's that probably easiest way to do it
MynameisM23 m ago

So what's going happen like someones going come home and then the music …So what's going happen like someones going come home and then the music turns on to scare them or something cant u hide somewhere or just put it on as a ringtone and then ring that number at the time and it just play's that probably easiest way to do it

No no, this is gonna be a prolonged prank, slowly, but surely i'll be turning things up a notch day by day
Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming.
Yes keep us posted on how it goes maybe a short video or photos clips on here as updates lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions