Need anything else?

Posted 20th Nov
Was kindly recommended a gaming build on here for my son, I've got all the parts and other than a caddy for the ssd is there any extra cables needed.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
You should have all the cable in the part boxes, get m/board manual out and just go through what you need for each part...
With regards to not having a caddy for the SSD I've actually used blu-tack to hold one in place before, is this wrong?
Should have mentioned, some parts are used would this make a difference
R_S20/11/2019 14:49

Should have mentioned, some parts are used would this make a difference

Yes it makes a difference, especially if it's a motherboard or a psu
Motherboard, psu and cpu are new
Cpu came with heatsink and fan and thermal paste and not an oem version?

Got a cable for the monitor to gfx card ?
m1keyp1key20/11/2019 15:38

Cpu came with heatsink and fan and thermal paste and not an oem version? …Cpu came with heatsink and fan and thermal paste and not an oem version? Got a cable for the monitor to gfx card ?

Cpu was boxed from amazon, sure it comes with heatsink, cable for graphics card I will need to have a look, what am I looking for.
When you say a caddy for an SSD, are you talking about a mounting adaptor for a case with no 2.5" bays?

You don't want to be using a USB external drive caddy for the system's main SSD.
EndlessWaves20/11/2019 16:23

When you say a caddy for an SSD, are you talking about a mounting adaptor …When you say a caddy for an SSD, are you talking about a mounting adaptor for a case with no 2.5" bays? You don't want to be using a USB external drive caddy for the system's main SSD.

I thought it had to fit 3.5 form factor hence needing a caddy if that's even the right name for it.
Card in question is sapphire nitro radeon rx 580 8gb. Card only no cables.
R_S20/11/2019 17:52

I thought it had to fit 3.5 form factor hence needing a caddy if that's …I thought it had to fit 3.5 form factor hence needing a caddy if that's even the right name for it.

Most currently available cases have 2.5" bays as that's the only common SSD form factor (other than M.2 mounted directly to the motherboard). You only need an adaptor for a 3.5" bay if the case was designed before SSDs were about.
EndlessWaves20/11/2019 19:12

Most currently available cases have 2.5" bays as that's the only common …Most currently available cases have 2.5" bays as that's the only common SSD form factor (other than M.2 mounted directly to the motherboard). You only need an adaptor for a 3.5" bay if the case was designed before SSDs were about.

googleadservices.com/pag…clk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi96PrnwfnlAhUFtO0KHU2MCiwYABAJGgJkZw&ae=1&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RorX4-wgMAi4OtqGcrQMmdaBA&sig=AOD64_16T6pnnBairf3QjyYjJKYK5q7hsA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjMvPPnwfnlAhUQYsAKHcUcC5wQwg96BAgLEA0&adurl=novatech.co.uk/pro…BwE

The case in question
If you get new motherboard, it comes with cables.

just to remind you to ground the case before building.

Twist tie would be handy for cable management
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions