Need Freeview Box Advice

Found 12th Mar
This is for my parents, they have a tv with freeview built in, but would like to pause, rewind and ideally record tv which the tv has no facility to do.

They are not fussed about catch-up tv and there would be no way of routing the box to the router without the additional expense of using homeplugs, and we want to keep this as cheap as possible.

So probably looking at a 2nd hand box, which one would you recommend i should be looking for, don't want to spend more than £20-£30?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
15 Comments
I would recommend a Humax. Their website, humanity.co.uk, offers refurbished boxes, but I doubt you will get a decent box anywhere for £20 to £30.
No chance of getting anything for £30
So you really need a freeview set top box, you don't want to use streaming TV via your /their Internet? Who are they with for their Internet? Plusnet do a youview box that you don't have to connect to the Internet to use (you may have to just to register it but once up and running disconnect) though without Internet you miss a lot of great channels. The price is not exorbitant and if you sign up for 2 years they will usually waive the cost of the box - though for some strange reason they never waive the postage . The only other thing to do is to advertise in the wanted section of free cycle (free to register and can get some great freebies. I got a dvd player with optical audio output once, still using it). And keep searching gumtree.
Edited by: "mrty" 12th Mar
Plusnet box £5 a month. @£60 for box (but phone them up and ask if they will waive the cost of you sign for 2 years. They will).
Original Poster
They are with BT, and wouldn't want to change provider.

I've seen youview boxes advertised 2nd hand that can just pause and rewind..... think you can pause for 30mins max.... but also what about these nowtv boxes, do these have to be connected to the internet if we only want to watch freeview and pause and rewind?
Forget about the recording feature if it will cost much more.

Thanks for the replies thus far
+1 for humax if you want a nice user friendly interface
saintscouple27 m ago

They are with BT, and wouldn't want to change provider.I've seen youview …They are with BT, and wouldn't want to change provider.I've seen youview boxes advertised 2nd hand that can just pause and rewind..... think you can pause for 30mins max.... but also what about these nowtv boxes, do these have to be connected to the internet if we only want to watch freeview and pause and rewind? Forget about the recording feature if it will cost much more. Thanks for the replies thus far

They already haved freeview so getting a box without recording capabilities wont make any difference

Get a bt dtr-t2100 from cex fire about £50. Brilliant twin HD tuner youview recorder. Wont need Internet unless they want catch up
mrty46 m ago

So you really need a freeview set top box, you don't want to use streaming …So you really need a freeview set top box, you don't want to use streaming TV via your /their Internet? Who are they with for their Internet? Plusnet do a youview box that you don't have to connect to the Internet to use (you may have to just to register it but once up and running disconnect) though without Internet you miss a lot of great channels. The price is not exorbitant and if you sign up for 2 years they will usually waive the cost of the box - though for some strange reason they never waive the postage . The only other thing to do is to advertise in the wanted section of free cycle (free to register and can get some great freebies. I got a dvd player with optical audio output once, still using it). And keep searching gumtree.

Without the Internet on a youview box, you don't miss any channels. Just catch up and payg subscription services
Make sure whichever box you choose has a built in hard drive or comes with an external one. Just because it says it’s cable of recording/live pause doesn’t mean it can do it as standard
BT produce a very good freeview recorder, I was meant to give mine back when I switched to TalkTalk but they owed me money so I kept it.
amazon.co.uk/BT-…box

*Edit BT sent me the box when I signed up to their broadband, so you should be able to just ask for a box.
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 12th Mar
Original Poster
Cheers everyone,

Just got a DTR-T2110 BT Youview box for £35 from shpock... i believe that should sort them well.
Some TVs have a USB socket you can put a memory stick into making it possible to do the basic pause/record etc.

Otherwise, Humax
Original Poster
sicklysweet13 m ago

Some TVs have a USB socket you can put a memory stick into making it …Some TVs have a USB socket you can put a memory stick into making it possible to do the basic pause/record etc. Otherwise, Humax

Yeah, I did check and the folks tv doesn't have that port...... was surprised it has 2 x hdmi ports, not that they use them, they have their vhs player connected by scart.
Bigfootpete15 h, 26 m ago

BT produce a very good freeview recorder, I was meant to give mine back …BT produce a very good freeview recorder, I was meant to give mine back when I switched to TalkTalk but they owed me money so I kept it.https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Youview-500Gb-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B00YHD6GUY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1520866661&sr=1-3&keywords=freeview+recording+box*Edit BT sent me the box when I signed up to their broadband, so you should be able to just ask for a box.

That's made by humax (bt dtr-t2100)
Original Poster
Just been reading about the box and seems you do need an internet connection, if only for the set-up procedure, so found a pair of comtrend passthrough powerline adapters for a tenner, that should do the trick.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants