Need guidance with a purchase

Found 14th Jan
Hi

I purchased a camera (via uk.lokal.com) which was listed as brand-new sealed pack. On receipt of the product, I found that product was pre-opened and not brand-new sealed.

Payment was done via paypal buyer protection, therefore I raised a dispute. Seller insisted to return the product but not ready to pay return postage.

I escalated to paypal but received same response. I can get the refund but I have to pay for return postage.

I am not sure, why buyer has to pay return postage for the fault of seller. I think, ebay policy state that seller has to pay return postage if item is not as described but paypal policy buyer protection does not handles that.

Can anyone guide please? Do I have to pay return postage on fault of seller?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Did you buy it from a seller on ebay? Yes I can read. Take it this was a private sale? Bottom line SNAD=buyer pays postage.
No you can't force the seller to reimburse you for that, comparing it to eBay is pointless, PayPal won't force the seller to pay the postage back to you.
If you paid by Paypal and have opened a dispute then you need to fund the return. Paypal did used to have a "returns on us" which you may find is still live, where they pay £15 towards a return.

You need to use a fully tracked method to send the item back to win your refund.
Was the item opened and inspected to confirm contents and sold as new/sealed or a used item sold as new
Think you are confusing lokal and eBay. They aren't the same thing and don't have the same rules.
Steer clear of that site
Shengis10 h, 44 m ago

Did you buy it from a seller on ebay? Yes I can read. Take it this was a …Did you buy it from a seller on ebay? Yes I can read. Take it this was a private sale? Bottom line SNAD=buyer pays postage.

Got it.. so that the disadvantage of buying stuff via private sale.. thank you
Richard_Richard10 h, 42 m ago

No you can't force the seller to reimburse you for that, comparing it to …No you can't force the seller to reimburse you for that, comparing it to eBay is pointless, PayPal won't force the seller to pay the postage back to you.

Yes, you are right.. I was under impression Paypal buyer protection makes sure buyer is not impacted for fault of seller but seems am wrong. Thank u for ur comment.
windym10 h, 34 m ago

If you paid by Paypal and have opened a dispute then you need to fund the …If you paid by Paypal and have opened a dispute then you need to fund the return. Paypal did used to have a "returns on us" which you may find is still live, where they pay £15 towards a return. You need to use a fully tracked method to send the item back to win your refund.

Got it.. thank u
Bradleigh10 h, 35 m ago

Was the item opened and inspected to confirm contents and sold as …Was the item opened and inspected to confirm contents and sold as new/sealed or a used item sold as new

I don't think so product was used.. But they were pre-opened as I found food marks both inside and outside the box and covers were a bit crushed. I wanted to gift it but unfortunately I couldn't do what I expected to..
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 42 m ago

Think you are confusing lokal and eBay. They aren't the same thing and …Think you are confusing lokal and eBay. They aren't the same thing and don't have the same rules.

My comparison was against eBay and Paypal rules.. I was under impression that buyer can recover all the money including return postage if there is fault of seller but seems return postage is on buyer if purchased via PayPal n private site combination..
Thank you for all the comments..
Tyash9 m ago

Yes, you are right.. I was under impression Paypal buyer protection makes …Yes, you are right.. I was under impression Paypal buyer protection makes sure buyer is not impacted for fault of seller but seems am wrong. Thank u for ur comment.

It'll cost you a few quid but it could've been worse using that site, I've only heard bad things about it, scammers paradise apparently, like all the worst sellers banned from other platforms end up on lokal.
Tyash20 m ago

My comparison was against eBay and Paypal rules.. I was under impression …My comparison was against eBay and Paypal rules.. I was under impression that buyer can recover all the money including return postage if there is fault of seller but seems return postage is on buyer if purchased via PayPal n private site combination..

Yes, if you had purchased on ebay you could open a dispute there and the seller has to provide a pre paid returns label. On Paypal it is down to the buyer regardless - other than the returns on us scheme.

Just be mindful to keep to the deadlines that Paypal has given you as if you miss them or don't upload the tracking the case can timeout and you cannot reopen it.
Shengis12 h, 7 m ago

Did you buy it from a seller on ebay? Yes I can read. Take it this was a …Did you buy it from a seller on ebay? Yes I can read. Take it this was a private sale? Bottom line SNAD=buyer pays postage.

WRONG. Teh goods were not as described. SO long as the buyer takes immediate action on receipt of them, all the buyer has to do is notify the seller the goods are ready to collect. Use Moneyclaim Onlline.
Richard_Richard12 h, 5 m ago

No you can't force the seller to reimburse you for that, comparing it to …No you can't force the seller to reimburse you for that, comparing it to eBay is pointless, PayPal won't force the seller to pay the postage back to you.

WRONG. The goods are not as described
Tyash1 h, 25 m ago

Got it.. so that the disadvantage of buying stuff via private sale.. thank …Got it.. so that the disadvantage of buying stuff via private sale.. thank you

Correct. Use a credit card for payment if over £100 and DO NOT USE PAYPAL as the intemediary. Section 75 rules apply. which.co.uk/con…act
ccnp10 m ago

WRONG. The goods are not as described

Read it again, it's not an ebay purchase, the seller of an item (that has only been paid for with PayPal) can't be forced to refund the return postage.

Just looked it up, it's in the t&cs, PayPal can only control the funds that processed through them on payment, which makes sense as they wouldn't have access to any more of the sellers funds outside the transaction. So if the seller refunds in full on return then where would the additional money to pay return shipping come from?

PayPal do have a returns are on us thing going but I don't know what exclusions there are, I assume it's returning to actual businesses but I don't know for a fact.
Edited by: "Richard_Richard" 15th Jan
JFC. Forget Ebay/Paypal etc Ts&Cs. This is UK law if the buyer is UK and believes it to be a UK transaction and the seller purports to be a UK retail business. Paypal etc love to tell you their Ts&Cs overide UK law. THEY DON'T.

Goods not as described. Seller must take immediate action to formally notify the seller. Buyer only has to make it available for collection. Moneyclaim online gets your money back.

If between £100 and £30,000, pay by credit card and backt eh merchant equally liable. which.co.uk/con…act

At best, if the deal had been genuine, it was likely to be grey goods. Best option; DONT BE STUPID AND BUY FROM FLY BY NIGHT BUSINESSES BECAUSE IT LOOKS CHEAP
ccnp2 h, 52 m ago

JFC. Forget Ebay/Paypal etc Ts&Cs. This is UK law if the buyer is UK and …JFC. Forget Ebay/Paypal etc Ts&Cs. This is UK law if the buyer is UK and believes it to be a UK transaction and the seller purports to be a UK retail business. Paypal etc love to tell you their Ts&Cs overide UK law. THEY DON'T.Goods not as described. Seller must take immediate action to formally notify the seller. Buyer only has to make it available for collection. Moneyclaim online gets your money back.If between £100 and £30,000, pay by credit card and backt eh merchant equally liable. https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-actAt best, if the deal had been genuine, it was likely to be grey goods. Best option; DONT BE STUPID AND BUY FROM FLY BY NIGHT BUSINESSES BECAUSE IT LOOKS CHEAP

You come here telling everyone they are wrong and yet don't notice it was a private sale.
Thank you for all the comments. It helped me a lot.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants