Need help building a powerful video editing desktop PC set-up!

11 replies
Found 12th Oct 2016
I'm going to need a custom built PC with ideally 32GB of ram and compatible graphics card. Either AMD or Intel processor and fast SSD drive. Minimum storage 1TB. Don't mind if OS is pre-installed or not. Will probably get peripherals separately as I will need a couple FHD monitors (I will be editing in at least 1080p), mouse and keyboard. Budget is £850 without peripherals.

I'm not a PC expert so not sure if all this will be possible on this budget, but will sacrifice the 32GB ram if someone can recommend a spec to deal with heavy video editing and vastly reduced render times (on Adobe Premiere). I know building it myself from scratch will be the most efficient financially but I would much rather a pre-build. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Suggestion 1 by John8717:

scan.co.uk/sav…d6b

(without discounts)

Suggestion 2 by John8717:

scan.co.uk/sav…e5a

(without discounts)

Option 3: Will these components work together?

scan.co.uk/sav…41b

Wishlist/future spec:

Option 1: very.co.uk/zoo…prd
Option 2: ebuyer.com/749…268
Option 3: laptopsdirect.co.uk/sto…asp

11 Comments

You have not mentioned what software you will use or what quality you want as final output.

I hope you get some reply s soon.

Original Poster

aj2001

You have not mentioned what software you will use or what quality you … You have not mentioned what software you will use or what quality you want as final output.I hope you get some reply s soon.

Thanks for reminding me aj2001, I've updated details

£600 is a very small budget especially if you're looking for a prebuilt system, the used market would get you some really good parts for decent prices.

Will you be editing 1080p video or higher?

Original Poster

Chidmas

£600 is a very small budget especially if you're looking for a prebuilt … £600 is a very small budget especially if you're looking for a prebuilt system, the used market would get you some really good parts for decent prices. Will you be editing 1080p video or higher?

The budget is around £850 and I'll be editing in 1080p video for now

Hi,

You can get this PC from Scan.co.uk ( scan.co.uk/pro…w-c?owpid=2779028) + GPU ( GTX 1060 - in the region on 250£ ) = a little bit over your budget but is i5 6600k

or you can combine them like that:

Motherboard + RAM + Cooler + SSD =255£ ( https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z170-gaming-k3-intel-z170-s-1151-ddr4-satae-m2-(pcie-sata)-2-way-crossfire-killer-lan-us?owpid=2779951)

Intel Core i7 6700K - 338£ ( but you can find it at aria or so around the price of 300 )

Case + PSU - 84£ (scan.co.uk/pro…-o-?owpid=2779953)

GPU GTX 1060 - 250£ ( you can find lower, MSI 1060 is 218 )

255+338+84+250=927, but if you are getting the CPU with 300£ or you get a i7 6700 ( non k) you will be around 850£

But probably they will give a discount if you buy all form scan, or you can search the web.

Original Poster

John8717

Hi,You can get this PC from Scan.co.uk ( … Hi,You can get this PC from Scan.co.uk ( https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-6600k-s-1151-skylake-quad-core-35ghz-39ghz-turbo-6mb-cache-1150mhz-gpu-35x-ratio-91w-c?owpid=2779028) + GPU ( GTX 1060 - in the region on 250£ ) = a little bit over your budget but is i5 6600k or you can combine them like that:Motherboard + RAM + Cooler + SSD =255£ ( https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z170-gaming-k3-intel-z170-s-1151-ddr4-satae-m2-(pcie-sata)-2-way-crossfire-killer-lan-us?owpid=2779951)Intel Core i7 6700K - 338£ ( but you can find it at aria or so around the price of 300 )Case + PSU - 84£ (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-carbide-series-100r-mid-tower-computer-chassis-with-side-window-usb-30-cable-management-w-o-?owpid=2779953)GPU GTX 1060 - 250£ ( you can find lower, MSI 1060 is 218 )255+338+84+250=927, but if you are getting the CPU with 300£ or you get a i7 6700 ( non k) you will be around 850£But probably they will give a discount if you buy all form scan, or you can search the web.

Thanks for your recommendations John8717. That's a good spec to start with, but I'm assuming this is going to require me to do a self-build right?

Best advice is to ask the vendor of the software you are going to be using. Ask the what setup they recommend, be warned some software does not make best use of expensive "gaming" video cards neither does image software. So best to get the info from the vendor as you might save hundreds of pounds.

specialfx

Thanks for your recommendations John8717. That's a good spec to start … Thanks for your recommendations John8717. That's a good spec to start with, but I'm assuming this is going to require me to do a self-build right?

Hi specialfx,

You don't need to do self-building, only to put the GPU in, that I think anyone can do that.

Sorry for the link but I don't see the computer. Go to scan.co.uk -> search the tag with daily deals ( red one - scroll down ) and look for MixIt Mega Bundle and Elite Bundles ( for the elite bundle I think you may need to put it together by yourself).

Original Poster

John8717

Hi specialfx,You don't need to do self-building, only to put the GPU in, … Hi specialfx,You don't need to do self-building, only to put the GPU in, that I think anyone can do that.Sorry for the link but I don't see the computer. Go to scan.co.uk -> search the tag with daily deals ( red one - scroll down ) and look for MixIt Mega Bundle and Elite Bundles ( for the elite bundle I think you may need to put it together by yourself).

Thanks John8717!

I managed to find the MixIt Mega bundle.
I'm going to use that as a starting point and see if I can find some GPU deals

Thanks again for your help!

What programs are you intending to use???
Is it a multipurpose computer you require i.e gaming, editing, films, music internet, or is it a dedicated video only editing pc you need?
Will there be any element of animation creation??

Original Poster

Lucifer_UK

What programs are you intending to use???Is it a multipurpose computer … What programs are you intending to use???Is it a multipurpose computer you require i.e gaming, editing, films, music internet, or is it a dedicated video only editing pc you need?Will there be any element of animation creation??

Yes it will need to be a multipurpose PC for use with music, internet, films and gaming etc but my primary focus is to get out of it as much as I can for video editing first and maybe accommodate for other tasks later/after upgrades.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823
    3. Krack WiFi vuln1121
    4. UBER can be a waste of money1019

See more discussions