Need help filling in a planning application form. Design & access statement/heritage statement.

Found 15th Jan 2013
I've recently opened a shop and have put up a illuminated projecting box sign on the front elevation. Now there was already a sign up there so i stupidly assumed it would be all ok. But it turns out i need planning permission.
I've filled in the main section of the form online but i am struggling with the mandatory documents, Design & access statement, heritage statement, location plans.
I know location plans can be bought online.
How difficult is a design & access statement, do i need to pay some one to write it, or is it straight froward.

I am not exactly flushed with cash at the moment, how much will all this cost me, and where to go now.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Community Updates
21 Comments
Banned
If you can speak to a cheapy architect he would sort this out for you, a design and access statement for a new house can be 10 plus pages but for a sign should be simple but in order to not waste your planning fee (£300 ish) you are best off paying an architect/planning consultant .
Original Poster
Thee fee according the online application place planningportal.gov.uk is £0.00. The amount of documents i need just for a sign is just stupid.
You should try calling the planning service and ask for an appointment as you need help with the document.

That should be your first port of call, and it''s free.
Original Poster
moob

You should try calling the planning service and ask for an appointment as … You should try calling the planning service and ask for an appointment as you need help with the document. That should be your first port of call, and it''s free.

Exactly what i did, and i was told all the information/help i need is on the website and to go through the various guides online.
earthlling

Exactly what i did, and i was told all the information/help i need is on … Exactly what i did, and i was told all the information/help i need is on the website and to go through the various guides online.

That's pretty poor. I work for a council, and I would get my erse kicked for fobbing someone off like that.

You should ask to speak to the principal planner instead.
Original Poster
Think i'll give them a ring again, and say i need help with the documents. Any ideas how much an architect would charge for something as small of a job as this.
earthlling

Think i'll give them a ring again, and say i need help with the … Think i'll give them a ring again, and say i need help with the documents. Any ideas how much an architect would charge for something as small of a job as this.

Depends if they bill by the hour etc - give a couple a phone and explain - get a set price off them would be my advice.
Unlikely you will need to supply most of what they have asked for and they have sent you out the standard application forms. Ring the Planning Officer for your application and ask him why you need the access part when you are applying for a replacement external sign.
A Heritage Statement suggests it is either a Listed Building or in a Conservation Area, both can be a nightmare. If the new sign is exactly the same (size and design) as the first then you should not need to apply for anything as you are changing like for like.
You could fill in the forms as best you can and submit them and then if the Council do not validate the application they will write to you and say why. This will cost you only your own time.
Original Poster
been quoted £500 from an architect...the external sign is different from the old, this is illuminated and the architect i spoke to has suggested that could be the main issue(the fact that it's illuminated).
The person i spoke to over the phone from the council was adamant that i do need all the documents listed on their website. The building is listed grade 2.

One more thing in the latter it asks for Listed Building Consent, is that not different from a full blown planning permission?
earthlling

been quoted £500 from an architect...the external sign is different from … been quoted £500 from an architect...the external sign is different from the old, this is illuminated and the architect i spoke to has suggested that could be the main issue(the fact that it's illuminated).The person i spoke to over the phone from the council was adamant that i do need all the documents listed on their website. The building is listed grade 2.One more thing in the latter it asks for Listed Building Consent, is that not different from a full blown planning permission?

The forms for Listed Building Consent (LBC) and Planning Permission (PP) are very similar if not the same so you will just be duplicating everything.
Ask the Council if you put back a sign of the same size and design (wood, plastic, metal or glass as per the original) in other words changing like for like then do you need any permissions. Could you have a non illuminated sign?
Listed Buildings can be a nightmare to deal with and most Councils are very strict what they will allow. Are there any adjacent Listed Buildings with a sign similar to yours?
Edited by: "donaldduck2" 15th Jan 2013
So you made a change without nannies permission, bad girl

If its going to cost a fortune to get permission why not just put up a none illuminated copy of the original, job done and ask the sign company if they will take the new/old one back?

(_;)
Is it possible that your council simply won't permit illuminated signs on listed buildings? And applying for planning permission is a waste of time?

google.co.uk/sea…ari
Original Poster
got it down to £250 from a different architect. I still have to pay for advertisement consent. Apparently the fee for the Listed Building Consent is nil. And the Advertisement Consent £110.
Original Poster
I am willing to take the illumination out, its just few tube lights. And have external lighting(lights shining on the sign, which already existed on the property).

I would still need the listed building consent as it's a listed building and any work carried out would have to be permitted.

Have an appointment with the architect on Monday.
Get a A board outside the shop instead of a sign attached to the building or do you need planning permission for that?
Original Poster
Mark2111

Get a A board outside the shop instead of a sign attached to the building … Get a A board outside the shop instead of a sign attached to the building or do you need planning permission for that?

No don't need any permission for that. As i am a new business i want people to know i am there so went for a decent sign so people notice it.
I'll see what the architect has to say, it's a no commitment visit so if the fees are too high i'll just take the sign off.
Banned
Mark2111

Get a A board outside the shop instead of a sign attached to the building … Get a A board outside the shop instead of a sign attached to the building or do you need planning permission for that?

Not too sure on this idea, someone walks into it , trips over it etc , suppose public liability would cover it though
ok ok, if you need a drawing for your application then contact me I will help you for FREE (that's a HOT UK Deal), you just need to give me a picture of the front of the shop with some dimensions and the dimensions of the Sign you want to erect!
if you have a picture/plan of the shop before any changes have been made that would be useful, so you can show the council that your Sign is no different from the older sign except it is 21st century driven rather than 13th century monolithic block!
Edited by: "Rugrats" 15th Jan 2013
planningportal.gov.uk/per…ps/

and check this PDF https//ww…ers

There is no need to pay a greedy architect for this small enquiry.

Read Page 16 and + I think you are in Class 4 and some extent Class 5

Edited by: "Rugrats" 15th Jan 2013
Rugrats

ok ok, if you need a drawing for your application then contact me I will … ok ok, if you need a drawing for your application then contact me I will help you for FREE (that's a HOT UK Deal), you just need to give me a picture of the front of the shop with some dimensions and the dimensions of the Sign you want to erect!if you have a picture/plan of the shop before any changes have been made that would be useful, so you can show the council that your Sign is no different from the older sign except it is 21st century driven rather than 13th century monolithic block!

Top man, that's very kind of you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants