Groups

Need Help finding a work experience placement!

Thought that I may as well ask you lot for ideas of where to do my work experience later next year, I was going to do it at my first school but someone beat me to it.
    So yeah, any ideas?

30 Comments

what is it your interested in?

For my first work experience, I worked at an architects office in the local town hall. Very, very boring and the staff all agreed.

For the second, I applied to an airport but was gutted when I was given a school instead. It ended up that I enjoyed working at the school and met quite a few people my age there...

The best advice I can give you is not to go for an office job.

my son 2 had the right idea i think..he asked to be a reporter on local paper and they took him.
    He had a brilliant time and went on location with the reporters and at the end of the week wrote a piece for the paper.
    He said he was treated like an adult and had a brilliant time. He didnt follow into that career but unless you have a def idea what you want to do-choose something different?

I worked as a groundsman at West Ham even though I don't support them. It was brilliant.

The2020;3687807

I worked as a groundsman at West Ham even though I don't support them. It … I worked as a groundsman at West Ham even though I don't support them. It was brilliant.

yep thats the idea...something different. Def NOT retail or office.

Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the replies!
    And to be honest I'm a techy kind of person, but would rather not work in a huge shop like PC World (if they even take placements)...

Would have liked to do it at HMV with a mate, but two other people are already doing it.

weirdwilli;3687844

Wow, thanks for all the replies!And to be honest I'm a techy kind of … Wow, thanks for all the replies!And to be honest I'm a techy kind of person, but would rather not work in a huge shop like PC World (if they even take placements)...Would have liked to do it at HMV with a mate, but two other people are already doing it.

Just dont follow the herd. Retail you will cart boxes and shelf-fill as they probably wont let you handle cash.

Go for something different that will be an EXPERIENCE rather than a week of boredom.

Is there somewhere locally makes comp games? or comp manufacturer. You will probably be treated better in industry too i would think than retail.

Banned

My nephew went to some small computer place, who build and sell computers, he had a good time, my daughter is going to her old infants school to do her 2 week placemnt next year, from what i can make it you are leaving it late to find something as most places will already be filled, well they would be round here

Original Poster

Don't think so, no.
    I live in Norwich, which isn't the biggest place in the world (Well it's not small either), so that linked with me not being able to think or anything isn't really getting me anywhere...
    Thanks again for the replies

And Sassie, different schools around the city are doing it at different times, and my school is doing it right at the end of the year so we've only been told about it the other week.

Look into things you're interested in but not necessarily as a job, think outside the box a little. Do you have relatives by the coast or in a city you could stay with for a week could you work on tech stuff for the navy or for a music producer, something interesting that you like but it doesn't have to be what you want to do as a job. The thing is you have more chance of getting a placement than a full-time job in places you wouldn't normally look and then who knows you may love it, they may love you and you may get something out of it.

You can work in HMV or PC World on a saturday and get paid for it, with a placement your more likely to get taken on in something much more exciting, as long as you ask.

I worked at our local jungle world and it was great. I missed the deadline and just got sent there, it was something I would never have chosen but it was amazing I got to work first hand with birds, big spiders, scorpions, snakes, chipmunks and other wonderful creatures. When I got back to school I'd had the better time than everyone who went for the easy retail jobs.

Is there a local tv station you could apply to a friend of mine also did that and shes now a producer at itv.

weirdwilli;3687899

Don't think so, no.I live in Norwich, which isn't the biggest place in … Don't think so, no.I live in Norwich, which isn't the biggest place in the world (Well it's not small either), so that linked with me not being able to think or anything isn't really getting me anywhere...Thanks again for the replies :)And Sassie, different schools around the city are doing it at different times, and my school is doing it right at the end of the year so we've only been told about it the other week.

In that case you should have the pick of what you want, remember if it's in June time it'll be summer too so you could get something where you might be outside.

Original Poster

The2020;3687903

Look into things you're interested in but not necessarily as a job, think … Look into things you're interested in but not necessarily as a job, think outside the box a little. Do you have relatives by the coast or in a city you could stay with for a week could you work on tech stuff for the navy or for a music producer, something interesting that you like but it doesn't have to be what you want to do as a job. The thing is you have more chance of getting a placement than a full-time job in places you wouldn't normally look and then who knows you may love it, they may love you and you may get something out of it.You can work in HMV or PC World on a saturday and get paid for it, with a placement your more likely to get taken on in something much more exciting, as long as you ask.

Most of my family live in France, which is the main problem (my mum's side of the family are French) and my dad's side live in London so thats out of the question really. :x

mrspodington;3687921

I worked at our local jungle world and it was great. I missed the … I worked at our local jungle world and it was great. I missed the deadline and just got sent there, it was something I would never have chosen but it was amazing I got to work first hand with birds, big spiders, scorpions, snakes, chipmunks and other wonderful creatures. When I got back to school I'd had the better time than everyone who went for the easy retail jobs.Is there a local tv station you could apply to a friend of mine also did that and shes now a producer at itv.

The2020;3687930

In that case you should have the pick of what you want, remember if it's … In that case you should have the pick of what you want, remember if it's in June time it'll be summer too so you could get something where you might be outside.

Thanks, both of you, just thought of a local garden/animal shop called Notcuts which would be fun!

i think if you re-read what we have all put you will get some good ideas and a general feeling..
    Dont go for what you want to do as a career-think outside the box-choose something different?
    Norwich radio? hospital radio maybe? local TV

do a google search and make a list. The more you put into your choice the more you will get out.

Banned

weirdwilli;3687899

Don't think so, no.I live in Norwich, which isn't the biggest place in … Don't think so, no.I live in Norwich, which isn't the biggest place in the world (Well it's not small either), so that linked with me not being able to think or anything isn't really getting me anywhere...Thanks again for the replies :)And Sassie, different schools around the city are doing it at different times, and my school is doing it right at the end of the year so we've only been told about it the other week.

I assumed it would be the same time of year as you where saying placements had already been filled at places you wanted to go, anyway if that is the case you should be able to pick whatever you want, go for something different rather than something run of the mill :thumbsup:

Do not go for retail, what a sell out, go for a profession not a saturday job.

I agree that the newspaper reporters or even local radio station would be excellent. How far away is your local news station recorded? Make enquiries there.

I'm in final year of university and at the end of the day work experience doesnt mean a lot except to reflect on a little in your uni appplication. It means nothing after that- I did mine in a playschool-was bored sick for 2 weeks as the adults grouped and gossiped leaving the kids to sort themselves out-taught me I didn't want to go into playschemes and now am almost a trained primary teacher.

If you go into a media experience you can reflect on how your confidence has grown/ how you felt closer to the community/ how you liked working with people/ how you enjoyed helping others and so forth.

If you're really brave how about shadowing an emergency service?

Alternatively hunt down some PR agencies near you/ theatre jobs and get meeting some celebs!!

Good luck.

Original Poster

Local news station is recorded very close, however I can imagine any places avalible there were filled very fast, and if not they would have asked a couple of students at my school who participate on the radio there.

I think I'll E-Mail Notcutts and wait for their reply actually as it sounds quite fun!
    And if not then post back here again :P
    Thanks for all your replies!

weirdwilli;3688000

Local news station is recorded very close, however I can imagine any … Local news station is recorded very close, however I can imagine any places avalible there were filled very fast, and if not they would have asked a couple of students at my school who participate on the radio there. I think I'll E-Mail Notcutts and wait for their reply actually as it sounds quite fun!And if not then post back here again :PThanks for all your replies!

notcutts is retail??

dont take it that places will be filled-ASK-you will not get anything worth having if you dont push a bit:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Yup, but it would probably be fun seeing as it's half outside and half inside with a bunch of animals and whatnot.

And TBH I'm not too keen on doing radio/tv things, too shy :P

weirdwilli;3688027

Yup, but it would probably be fun seeing as it's half outside and half … Yup, but it would probably be fun seeing as it's half outside and half inside with a bunch of animals and whatnot. :)And TBH I'm not too keen on doing radio/tv things, too shy :P

i hope you get it then:thumbsup: good luck:)

Original Poster

Thanks, now gotta' write it though! :P

Will dig out last years English book as we did ages on rhetorical techniques and formal writing

Original Poster

Oooh, found out that my Middle school was still looking for people somehow, so will enquire with a mate

weirdwilli;3688089

Oooh, found out that my Middle school was still looking for people … Oooh, found out that my Middle school was still looking for people somehow, so will enquire with a mate

Your mates won't follow you through life, if you are shy you need to get out there and do something on your own. Don't wait on and rely on other people, it'll get you nowhere.

curvy_chicka;3688223

Your mates won't follow you through life, if you are shy you need to get … Your mates won't follow you through life, if you are shy you need to get out there and do something on your own. Don't wait on and rely on other people, it'll get you nowhere.

totally agree get up and sort it -if you was my kid i would give you a kick:)

i went to an ofice on my own and played game, surfed the net and was on msn for the whole 2 weeks.

I agree with everyone else, try and do something that will give you hands on stuff to do. If you work in an office you get to do photocopying, and if you work in retail you are just stacking shelves and stuff.

I went to a nursery and really enjoyed it. The people I know who enjoyed their work experience went to schools, animal sanctuary type places, garden centres etc. The people who did office or retail were really bored for the 2 weeks.

Doesnt matter if you are actually interested in following on in that career

Original Poster

curvy_chicka;3688223

Your mates won't follow you through life, if you are shy you need to get … Your mates won't follow you through life, if you are shy you need to get out there and do something on your own. Don't wait on and rely on other people, it'll get you nowhere.

I know that sounded like I was only doing it because he was, but that's not true.
    I'll admit I would be less up for it if he wasn't going, but I still would be very happy to do it there. :whistling:

louloo;3688237

totally agree get up and sort it -if you was my kid i would give you a … totally agree get up and sort it -if you was my kid i would give you a kick:)

AGREED. All the clues in this message suggest OP isn't really listening to anyone- If the animal place won't take em theyre gonna post again? For us to spend our time giving the same useless suggestions that theyre not going to listen to?

And HMV? for work placement? COME ON!!!

I know what it's like to be shy-but shy doesnt mean pathetic, it means softly spoken. Get out there off your **** and do something with your life thats worthwhile for YOU noone else.

Original Poster

Think what you like, I really don't care unless you can say anything remotely useful.
    And also I think you'll find that I'm a lad.

I made this thread merely to help me think of some places to do it at, or for some stories you may have been through.

Also, what's wrong with HMV?
    OK, sure, I wouldn't like to spend my life working there, work experience is just to show students a taster of working at different places, and to develop responsibility. When I'm in Uni I may well work part-time in a place like that.

Then go for HMV and stop wasting our time.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any Just Eat Vouchers around?22
      2. Any better deals after year's Sky subscription is nearly up?22
      3. sky q is it a good deal?55
      4. Speccing a gaming pc37

See more discussions