Need help finding USB mini B cable, don't laugh...

Posted 10th Jan
Please can anyone recommend me high quality miniusb type B data(high speed)/charging cable?? I need something braided and minimum 2meters long.... Everything being now days micro usb or type c I can't seem find anything decent...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
ali express.
cheap, a bit of a wait but will save you problems (buy "an heir & a spare") & make a bag of still needed but possibly out of date cables, I have one in a bright orange , partitioned, it works well for "misplaced" units.

If it is for a dash cam, consider a dedicated kit for your car at around the £2.75 - £3.75 mark delivered with a dual fuse blade for a spare / piggyback fitting in the vehicle.
There's a few options on Amazon.

Some braided, some not.

Various lengths including 1.8m / 2m / 4m.
Mr_Gus10/01/2020 13:44

ali express.cheap, a bit of a wait but will save you problems (buy "an …ali express.cheap, a bit of a wait but will save you problems (buy "an heir & a spare") & make a bag of still needed but possibly out of date cables, I have one in a bright orange , partitioned, it works well for "misplaced" units.If it is for a dash cam, consider a dedicated kit for your car at around the £2.75 - £3.75 mark delivered with a dual fuse blade for a spare / piggyback fitting in the vehicle.

I need it for few units but mainly for ps nav controller with dead battery. Main issues with cheap cables I have is: 1.they don't see controller 2.they disconnect often 3.break within few weeks to few months
Mini A was never really used, so you can assume all Mini USB connectors are the B variant. It's also very unlikely you'll see a cable that doesn't support high speed (USB 2.0 mode) these days.

Which connector do you need at the other end? Type A?

Are you sure you need decorative braiding? That's going to make it a lot harder to source.

I've had Juicebitz cables in the past that have been decent quality and they have a variety of A to Mini B cables:
juicebitz.co.uk/all…i-b
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 10th Jan
EndlessWaves10/01/2020 15:05

Mini A was never really used, so you can assume all Mini USB connectors …Mini A was never really used, so you can assume all Mini USB connectors are the B variant. It's also very unlikely you'll see a cable that doesn't support high speed (USB 2.0 mode) these days. Which connector do you need at the other end? Type A?Are you sure you need decorative braiding? That's going to make it a lot harder to source.I've had Juicebitz cables in the past that have been decent quality and they have a variety of A to Mini B cables:https://www.juicebitz.co.uk/all-cables/usb/mini-b

Imho braiding is not only decorative,generally from my experience braided cables are far more durable and able to withstand bends and knots over extended periods of time.
SlawomirSz10/01/2020 15:52

Imho braiding is not only decorative,generally from my experience braided …Imho braiding is not only decorative,generally from my experience braided cables are far more durable and able to withstand bends and knots over extended periods of time.

See I don't think that entirely true. In theory that would make sense. But in practice it just makes the cable unecessarily heavy. Making it more likely to break at the connector or even worse, add extra stress on the port of the device your connecting to. It's also used as an easy way to "mask" cheaper quality cables.

And why exactly would you be bending and knotting a cable in the first place?! Anyway, I recently needed to get some mini USB for exactly the same reason. These are very good:

Lindy Anthra

Unfortunately they're an add on item. But they are the best USB mini cable I've ever had, including fancy Anker and braided ones. The Correct weight, correct gauge and a robust but light weight connector that easily inserts, is easy to take out but still gives a firm connection.
Edited by: "ra786" 10th Jan
ra78610/01/2020 20:42

In theory that would make sense. But in practice it just makes the cable …In theory that would make sense. But in practice it just makes the cable unecessarily heavy.

As far as I understand it the design purpose of braided sheaths is to prevent the cable from breaking as a result of rubbing over and against things, they're a tough outer skin.

But when was the last time you saw a cable where the insulation has split part way along the length? I don't think I've ever seen one. PVC/TPE/etc. is good enough for everyday abrasion resistance.

Most dead USB and similar cables in my experience either come apart at the connectors or break internally.

Durability against internal breaks seems to be primarily down to the diameter of the conducting fibres - thinner strands take bending better and stay flexible for longer. But how often and tightly you're bending the cable is also a factor so the extra layer of braiding making the cable stiffer and less flexible might be increasing it's lifetime there.

Of course you also get the disadvantages of a thicker and stiffer cable, and if you want that then it's probably a lot cheaper just to change the insulation composition/thickness.

I'm not convinced that on cables made to the same budget, allocating some of that to braiding and not to other things makes a better cable.

Which is the other factor of course, anyone that's gone one step further to add pretty braiding to their cable expects to be able to sell it for a little more money, and can afford to spend a little more money on the construction.
I agree about breaking at the connector. That's why I said the braiding just makes the cable heavier adding more strain. But in my experience, it's always the braided cables that fail quickly as opposed to just a good quality cable. Not convinced by the last point you made though. There may be some cables that are both braided and well constructed.

But actually it makes sense to buy low quality product and present it in a way that makes it look more "premium". Manufacturers and sellers do it all the time. A braided cable doesn't not mean the cable inside is going to be good quality just because of the extra effort involved. The braiding will be far cheaper than copper.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants