Need help keeping heat out of babys room

Found 25th Jun
Hi All

My babys room starts getting sun fom about midday and by the end of the day its absolutely red hot, like 28c. I currently have some mirror films on the window, a roller blind and curtains, but still this makes no difference to the heat coming in.

I was thinking of trying putting some blackout curtains in too and maybe some foil on the windows, since the mirror films seem to do sweet F.A.

Anyone got any other ideas? I have recently installed an air conditioner in the room and it works to cool it down before bed, but soon as I turn it off the temps shoot up and the air con is too loud to be kept on all night.

Im ready to pull my hair out with this one....any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Have you tried topping up your loft insulation as this helps a lot. We had a similar issue to you but our heatstorage run from the boiler passed right under the bedroom and kept it warm. Switching to Triple glazed units helps as well.

I don't think babies are bothered about noise as they will sleep through any regular noise unlike adults.
Blackout blinds sort of work for us but it is really difficult in this heat. We keep the blinds upstairs closed all day and have a fan.
Move the air conditioning unit (if it's a mobile one) outside the room, and adapting one of the tumble drier vents (the rubberised ones) vent the cold air into the room, without the noise.
I have the same problem. I keep the windows and curtains shut all day- until the suns set, I open the windows. I then re-close come the morning. I’ve also heard that keeping the loft hatch open (if you have one) circulates the air. We have a tower fan which seems to help too.
Original Poster
THanks for your input.

We already have the loft hatch open, this is always open.

I was thinking about applying foil to the windows, possibly externally to keep light and heat out. Thoughts?
Wet towels in the room will help a little. The evaporating water will cool the air.
bbfb12320 m ago

THanks for your input.We already have the loft hatch open, this is always …THanks for your input.We already have the loft hatch open, this is always open.I was thinking about applying foil to the windows, possibly externally to keep light and heat out. Thoughts?

Your loft should feel like an oven if you have the right amount of insulation in it. When I open the hatch in my son's room it's like entering a sauna.
Original Poster
kester7613 m ago

Your loft should feel like an oven if you have the right amount of …Your loft should feel like an oven if you have the right amount of insulation in it. When I open the hatch in my son's room it's like entering a sauna.

I can feel the heat radiating from the loft when i walk under the hatch yeah.

Im tempted to apply some aluminium foil to the outside of the window, however im weary of how hot it will get and if it will cause other issues like reflecting sun rays opposite my house to the road and trees etc.
bbfb1233 m ago

I can feel the heat radiating from the loft when i walk under the hatch …I can feel the heat radiating from the loft when i walk under the hatch yeah.Im tempted to apply some aluminium foil to the outside of the window, however im weary of how hot it will get and if it will cause other issues like reflecting sun rays opposite my house to the road and trees etc.

I think the point is that you insulate the loft and keep the hatch shut therefor keeping the heat in their and out of the upstairs. Could be wrong tho.
bbfb12322 m ago

I can feel the heat radiating from the loft when i walk under the hatch …I can feel the heat radiating from the loft when i walk under the hatch yeah.Im tempted to apply some aluminium foil to the outside of the window, however im weary of how hot it will get and if it will cause other issues like reflecting sun rays opposite my house to the road and trees etc.

Those stick on car blinds would probably work. A lot of houses still use shutters to deflect excess heat.
Crude but may assist: small fan (or larger fan on low speed) blowing across a reasonable size bucket of ice / ice packs, with optional towels hanging out of bucket, pre-dampened if using with ice-packs. Consider the fan motor will marginally add to the room heat load but should be more than negated by the cooling effect of the evaporating ice, and of course it is assumed that the device creating the ice is not situated in the same room to be cooled!
Original Poster
kester761 h, 7 m ago

Those stick on car blinds would probably work. A lot of houses still use …Those stick on car blinds would probably work. A lot of houses still use shutters to deflect excess heat.

Tried those too but they didn't work unfortunately.
I don't have a baby to worry about, but when its hot, I open the front and rear bedroom windows and wedge the opposing bedroom doors open so I get a nice cooling flow of air through the house.
bbfb1231 h, 43 m ago

Surely it would be easier to wrap baby in foil
Have you thought about a cooling pad ? Maybe if you can't cool the room, cool the baby. I certainly wouldn't be bothering with sleepsuits and bedding in weather like this.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 25th Jun
Surely foil would just radiate hea? I like the fan tip though. Make sure there's no loose wires though in case of fire. Plus, do bear in mind as well that water (ice) and electricity don't mix.

If you do use a fan, don’t point it directly at your child; instead; use it to keep the air circulating. I know I'm stating the obvious when I say this though make sure that your child cannot touch the fan as well, as the blades are a hazard for small fingers.

And if you use an air conditioner, make sure the room doesn't get too cold: set it for 24C.

Advice in the following link suggests a nursery thermometer will help you monitor the temperature of your baby's room. Your baby will sleep most comfortably when their room is between 16C and 20C.

How can I keep my baby safe during hot weather?
Edited by: "LemonHead" 26th Jun
I would suggest keeping the windows closed for a start, open windows only circulate warm air through the house. Also putting up black out blinds will reflect the sunlight. Try putting a low speed fan in the hallway pointing towards the baby's room and leave the door ajar, if the fan is far enough away it shouldn't keep the baby awake.
Ok changing my mind blackout blinds did not work my baby did not sleep until 11.30 and woke up several times throughout the night despite usually sleeping through 😩
Maybe if it’s possible move the cot? In mine downstairs gets pretty cool at night and I’m in a similar situation to you. Twins in separate rooms one room is hot one is cooler. I have air con too that I just leave on From about 3pm.

my plan B is to move the cot downstairs and use the blackout blinds.
Disclaimer first: I'm not a doctor! Have you looked into using a chillow? There are pillows and mats, I wouldn't use the pillow with a baby but putting the mat on the mattress , under the sheet may help.

When my children were younger we actually slept downstairs as heat rises so it was cooler in the living room
Maybe the mattress is reflecting baby's body heat? This is a good investment and sure to keep the air circulating;

PurFlo Cot Mattress amazon.co.uk/dp/…5XF
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions