Groups

Need help on computer processors!

I used to all about these things but ive been off the scene for a while. What i wanted to know was what was the best dual core chip for desktops and the bet one for laptops? I.e. whats the difference between core duo and core 2 duo. Also how can you tell what ghz an amd processor is when all it has for a name is a random code. + which is better at the moment intel or amd -or is that by the by. Thanks for the help.

6 Comments

Core 2 Duo are by far and away the best chips on the market. The AMD's offer a decent cheap alternative but can't compete at the top end at the mo.

If you want to get into the technical details a quick Google search will set you straight, there are tonnes of core duo vs core 2 duo and intel vs amd articles around.

I'm puzzled by this too.
    Dont want to hijack your thread, but I noticed that the duo core's are lower speed.
    ie 1.6ghz compared to normal ones at 2.0ghz+
    Are they still faster because they are duo?

Two cores at a lower speed are theoretically better than one at a higher speed (as long at the speed difference isn't too big of course) particularly for multitasking, although any actual performance difference (around 40% on average according to Intel) depends heavily on applications and OS's being able to properly take advantage of multiple cores.

The new Core 2 Duo's are also extremely energy efficient compared to the older P4's and Duo's

m623d

I'm puzzled by this too.Dont want to hijack your thread, but I noticed … I'm puzzled by this too.Dont want to hijack your thread, but I noticed that the duo core's are lower speed.ie 1.6ghz compared to normal ones at 2.0ghz+Are they still faster because they are duo?

They are the equivalent to two 1.6ghz processors. :thumbsup:

I found a really great site a couple of months ago when I wanted to know how my core duo stacked up against P4s etc. Mainly because the specs on games don't normally list the dual core requirements.

Typically I can't find the bloody site now... will keep looking.

Original Poster

thanks for your help megalo
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *Heads Up* Free Wrestling on Sunday 10pm YouTube, Facebook and WWE.com. Sum…11
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?27127
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764186
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?77

See more discussions