Need help on home contents insurance

Found 14th Jan 2011
Just need a bit of help with home contents insurance.

Got quite a lot of expensive stuff in my crib and would like to know which one would be best for me and why?

Most of the stuff is electrical, for example: TV, game consoles and laptops.

I want insurance on everything like damages and theft.

I'm a newbie to this, so please explain like if I was a 12 year old when submitting.

Thanks.

16 Comments

Use the price comparison sites, find the best deal, then

Buy through one of cashback schemes, some pay out quite hefty amounts

PM if you want links
Edited by: "wbmkk" 14th Jan 2011

Banned

If you´re 12 your parents should be paying.
Edited by: "toshapetriji" 14th Jan 2011

also if your unsure about what type of lock you have... dont lie or guess, youll save at most 10% but it will cost you your claim if you dont have the specified type of lock you have put down

most insurance companies will let you add high end items, like collectables, high value computers, it will cost more but worth it if something happens.
dont set your excess to high or by the time you've paid that you wont have much left to replace the item, most companies offer old for new,
they will want to know the exact types of locks, alarms and window locks,
dont jump for the first quote i always get around 8 and then compare them, some people like the comparison sites i dont

They usually ask how much contents cover you want, thats when you state 10, 20 30, 40K or whatever is relevant. Also you usually have to declare high value items, with my ins co, its anything over the value of 3k has to be named on the policy, so for me there is the wifes jewellery, a few antiques and my hi fi kit.

Original Poster

max. £20k contents

mostly electricals.

Insurance because not long ago bought a expensive TV and only got 12 months warranty, I want to make sure I'm covered when it runs out and breaks, is this the right way?

Original Poster

jackvdbuk

also if your unsure about what type of lock you have... dont lie or … also if your unsure about what type of lock you have... dont lie or guess, youll save at most 10% but it will cost you your claim if you dont have the specified type of lock you have put down

confused...

Hi -

I work in home insurance - for a high street bank.

If you pm me I will give you the necessary - and simple- advice- from what you are saying, it's quite easy to tell you the type of cover you should be looking for.

I don't sell insurance by the way so I can't recommend any particular company/brand but I can tell you the type of cover you need quotes for.

Also, contrary to popular belief, for the best prices and quotes, the comparison sites aren't usually the best place - trust me- I have 'insider' knowledge!

karaokecolin

Hi -I work in home insurance - for a high street bank.If you pm me I will … Hi -I work in home insurance - for a high street bank.If you pm me I will give you the necessary - and simple- advice- from what you are saying, it's quite easy to tell you the type of cover you should be looking for.I don't sell insurance by the way so I can't recommend any particular company/brand but I can tell you the type of cover you need quotes for. Also, contrary to popular belief, for the best prices and quotes, the comparison sites aren't usually the best place - trust me- I have 'insider' knowledge!

that's interesting, do you recommend the high street banks etc for quotes ? also I'm always dubious when filling in the forms etc for insurance as the simplist mistake could make your claim invalid, or is that not a fair assumption.

Hi richp-

Yeah, the comparison sites are basically designed to chuck up the cheapest price, according to what details you put in your quotation request- eg. number of bedrooms, postocde etc etc. Most providers can actually undercut their comparison site quote if they quote you directly. The only thing you need to bear in mind is -

- the comparison site issues a "general" quote - this sometimes gets referred for confirmation by a company's underwriter.This can result in an increas in price sometimes.

- You need to be sure you are asking for the right level of cover (so as not under, over or incorrectly insured) and stick to that level as some providers often try and upsell or offer various add-ons.

- Getting like-for-like quotes is very difficult. The comparison sites don't truly offer these as most insurance policies differ in one way or another.

A better site to compare cover is defaqto - this is like a which? magazine for financial products. It is independent, factual and current.

As far as filling in forms, you have to be as accurate as possible and it is best to ensure all details are correct, certainly to the best of your knowledge because once the proposal is accepted, that is the basis upon which you are covered. It is very difficult, nigh on impossible, to claim for something afterwards if it is incorrectly covered.

shout out or pm me if you want any more individual info and I will do my best.

col.

Just a footnote to the above richp - as I said, I don't sell insurance - I work in complaints!

By far the most common complaint I deal with is where a claim is denied because the policy doesn't cover the goods or reason for claim. Out of these type of complaints, the policies have usually been sold via a 3rd party- eg a broker or comparison site and the cover is incorrect and usually also at an inflated price.

The problem then is that it is the insurer that get's the bad name, not the comparison site or broker.
Edited by: "karaokecolin" 14th Jan 2011

If some one makes a claim & its found they weren't fully covered for that item, is it a case of saying I'm sorry but you cant claim, & that's that ? I don't envy your job at all. I guess as with most things these days you have to make sure you read the terms & conditions (policy), but reading through the policies is a feat in itself ! many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

^^

All depends on the circs on each claim rich.

For example, most home contents policies have an individual item limit - i.e. they will cover each item in your house up to a certain amount. So if you have a watch worth £5k, and your insurance limits your cover to £3k per item, then that's it end of story.

Similarly, some policies only cover certain things against accidental damage. So if you drop your laptop and it breaks, but in your policy it isn't covered, then again that's it.

So in short, it is worth reading at least a summary of your cover if not as much of the t&c's as you can. Do this before any cooling-off period lapses then you can always cancel and get a different policy without being charged.

You can see how interesting I am in the pub?

Edited by: "karaokecolin" 14th Jan 2011

spacemaniac

because not long ago bought a expensive TV and only got 12 months … because not long ago bought a expensive TV and only got 12 months warranty, I want to make sure I'm covered when it runs out and breaks, is this the right way?

I'm no expert but my house contents insurance doesn't cover the TV breaking, only being stolen/fire/flooded/accidental damage eg ceiling falls on it. So I bought a tv with a 5 yr warranty against breakdown.
Edited by: "chalkysoil" 14th Jan 2011

chalkysoil

I'm no expert but my house contents insurance doesn't cover the TV … I'm no expert but my house contents insurance doesn't cover the TV breaking, only being stolen/fire/flooded/accidental damage eg ceiling falls on it. So I bought a tv with a 5 yr warranty against breakdown.

Yeah this is usually true. Most household contents policies usually cover TV's and the like against "major perils" - fire,flood, theft, etc and some extend the cover to accidental damage.

For general breakdowns and malfunctions, wear and tear etc you wouldusually be covered under a seperate warranty for the TV itself.

Original Poster

karaokecolin

Yeah this is usually true. Most household contents policies usually cover … Yeah this is usually true. Most household contents policies usually cover TV's and the like against "major perils" - fire,flood, theft, etc and some extend the cover to accidental damage.For general breakdowns and malfunctions, wear and tear etc you wouldusually be covered under a seperate warranty for the TV itself.

thanks for all your advice. will do some more research on it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Quidco Snow me the money Competition831109
    2. Win Longines Ladies Watch worth £117044
    3. Ending: 03/12 - A giveaway for a £175 Freedom To Exist Watch12
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 46 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515

See more discussions