Groups

Need Help - Potential Fire Hazard, What Happened to my Girlfriends Laptop

Hi, I would need some of your expertise. My girlfriend was woken up in the middle of the night to the smell of burning, she quickly realised it was her laptop. We noticed the back plastic has been slightly melted and when we took the back cover off this is what we saw.

What has burned here and how has that been possible?

27 Comments

dunno.

willhay5557 is correct!

There's a fair bit of dust on the fan. I wonder if it seized.

I cannot see really well what is there on the second image, but close to that black spot you have (I think) the network board. But that wasn't the one causing the issue by the looks of it. What was on the other side of the motherboard at the same spot where the black part is? It is not in the image you provided.

Original Poster

Predikuesi

willhay5557 is correct!There's a fair bit of dust on the fan. I wonder if … willhay5557 is correct!There's a fair bit of dust on the fan. I wonder if it seized.

The fan seems fine, I have had far dustier fans in my lifetime

Robot_Rooster

I agree with Robot, that amount of dust is not much in a laptop. It can work with a lot more dust.

Original Poster

dilyes

I cannot see really well what is there on the second image, but close to … I cannot see really well what is there on the second image, but close to that black spot you have (I think) the network board. But that wasn't the one causing the issue by the looks of it. What was on the other side of the motherboard at the same spot where the black part is? It is not in the image you provided.

I will try and see on the other side, it is at the moment proving quite difficult.

Robot_Rooster

Just spotted the burnt area by the 2R2 resistors (if that's what they're called).

looks like the hdd under the network card may have over heated and caused a short on the network socket. very hard to say without hands on view. at least your all healthy and were quick enough to react.

Google the schematics, if you can still read the numbers located by the burnt out parts, it will tell you on the schematics what they are.

Original Poster

https://s23.postimg.org/e0zy57mpn/16145248_10154991630052577_1503843411_o.jpg

https://s23.postimg.org/r6fgbbgl7/16129631_10154991629762577_1325145396_o.jpg

Original Poster

mcon

looks like the hdd under the network card may have over heated and caused … looks like the hdd under the network card may have over heated and caused a short on the network socket. very hard to say without hands on view. at least your all healthy and were quick enough to react.

The HDD is located on the side, it is the keyboard I believe underneath.

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Google the schematics, if you can still read the numbers located by the … Google the schematics, if you can still read the numbers located by the burnt out parts, it will tell you on the schematics what they are.

I am not great with the innards of a computer, what would the schematic be?

Robot_Rooster

I am not great with the innards of a computer, what would the schematic … I am not great with the innards of a computer, what would the schematic be?

Its a diagram of components.What is the laptop make and model?

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Its a diagram of components.What is the laptop make and model?

Lenovo Flex 2 14. The model number has been rubbed off from use

A component has gone short circuit, overheated and burnt out, damaging the motherboard in the process.
    It can't be repaired, you need a new motherboard.

Sorry , just had a 10 min search and couldnt find it but just checked ebay and a second hand motherboard will be about £60 so not really worth replacing it on a laptop of that value. Check your household insurance as it might be covered.

This repair manual might be helpful, but I doubt you'll want the expense of replacing the whole board.
    download.lenovo.com/con…pdf

itproportal.com/201…ks/

massive product recall fire hazard... on lenovo products .. see if yours is one..

Original Poster

Thanks for all the help

rhinopaul: She has problems since she has purchased it, has gone for repairs twice with PCworld and since it could had potentially set her ablaze I don't think she wants to keep it

paulkerr: Nope, not on there but thank you for the help.

Banned

Another reason not to leave nonessential electrical items running when you go to bed.

2R2 is the resistance of the resisters, so 2.2 ohms.

That looks like a regulator section, it is difficult to tell due to the damage.

If so, the chances are that whatever went wrong may have overvolted other components, so even if this section was repairable (it doesnt look likely), you might find the rest of the board dead or dying anyway.

Was she using the official charger?

Their wasnt something spilt into it was there like tea, in the keyboard!
    Edited by: "Moonwolf1976" 19th Jan

Original Poster

tri_94

Was she using the official charger?

​Yeah, official charger all the way

Original Poster

Moonwolf1976

Their wasnt something spilt into it was there like tea, in the keyboard!

​Nope nothing spilt, she has been very careful with it since it was the most she has spent on tech

I don't understand what has caused this, but I think it was from underneath as there is the most damage. I think 99% that this motherboard cannot be fixed. So either replace or just a new laptop I'm afraid. But I'm not an expert ..

Original Poster

dilyes

I don't understand what has caused this, but I think it was from … I don't understand what has caused this, but I think it was from underneath as there is the most damage. I think 99% that this motherboard cannot be fixed. So either replace or just a new laptop I'm afraid. But I'm not an expert ..

​No worries, we are going to separate the parts like the hard drive and the shell and sell them separately to get a few Bob for a new laptop. I appreciate all the help that has been given.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky11
      2. Iptv1227
      3. Hifi Speaker cable choice?46
      4. best place for fishing tackle?11

See more discussions