Expired

Need help running cables along skirting boards ?

Found 29th Aug 2013
Hey.
I have moved into a house and its pristine, the landlord has made it very clear that it should stay this way, which I think its great they take such good care of their home, but....

I have lots of stereo equipment with wires, and need to run something along gloss white skirting boards without damaging them if I take it off.

I used to use the white electrical ducting with sticky back but that damaged the wall my other house that I own.

Any ideas on what I can use to run cables without damaging the wall, and here is the kicker, I have double doors in the way, so I need to be able to run into the door and back out again,

Anything sticky enough to stick to the skirting, but not enough that it will take away paint.

Thanks
Community Updates
20 Comments
There is no guarantee that the double sided tape on the ducting won't remove paint. I can't think of another solution that suits your case though.

You could try a small piece of ducting in a place where it won't be noticed and use Sticky Stuff Remover to see if it will dissolve the sticky tape.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 29th Aug 2013
Would it not be easier to just do it the way you want and then just gloss the skirtings before you leave?
Use a few blobs of decorators caulk , it doesn't set hard and generally scrapes off
You could attach trunking using the white tack

diy.com/nav…ent
I was thinking of just running the white trunking and glossing when I move out as it will only be in a small area.

Was just wondering if there is anything else out there.
Some of the trunking is self adhesive. I've not used it myself.
The self adhesive trunking would leave some marks and you will end up glossing anyway to get it back how it was. The same with decorators caulk, when left for a good amount of time it is just like silicone and when you scrape it enough to get it off then you will damage the paintwork, so may as well plan on glossing it before you leave anyway.
It takes fives minutes to gloss one wall of a skirting
I think either way, I am damned if I do and damned if I dont.

Will just buy the trunking again and paint when I move.

I am planning to stay in the place for a long time.

Thanks guys
I take it that it's not carpet but laminate? Can't the cable go behind the edge beading? Should be just a few panel pins to pull out with pliers.
How about wireless audio streaming?
surely you cant be expected to live in a house for more than a couple of months without "fair wear and tear"?

after a year or so the gloss paint will fade and dull along with the paint on the wall becoming grubby, is it legal for the landlord to expect things to remain "pristine"?

I move house every two or three years because of my job and dont get billed for redecorating unless there is obvious damage done.
You can't just gloss one skirting in a room and think no one will notice, especially if you're there a long time. You have to allow for the finish on the other skirting, any discolouration of the other wood in the room, any paint that has been completely removed when you take away your trunking making it harder to achieve a decent finish.

It's not as easy as you think.
steve01980

You can't just gloss one skirting in a room and think no one will notice, … You can't just gloss one skirting in a room and think no one will notice, especially if you're there a long time. You have to allow for the finish on the other skirting, any discolouration of the other wood in the room, any paint that has been completely removed when you take away your trunking making it harder to achieve a decent finish. It's not as easy as you think.

Provided he makes good the one skirting he will have affected by trunking or whatever he does to it then the rest is not down to him. That is the landlords responsibility
lookingfordeals2013

Provided he makes good the one skirting he will have affected by trunking … Provided he makes good the one skirting he will have affected by trunking or whatever he does to it then the rest is not down to him. That is the landlords responsibility

I disagree, if you leave one skirting as it is then it will discolour at the same rate as the others. Paint one skirting and it will stick out like a sore thumb.
steve01980

I disagree, if you leave one skirting as it is then it will discolour at … I disagree, if you leave one skirting as it is then it will discolour at the same rate as the others. Paint one skirting and it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Yes it will stick out like a sore thumb but that would be the only one that he has a responsibility to put right, not the whole room. He would have only damaged/affected one skirting
lookingfordeals2013

Yes it will stick out like a sore thumb but that would be the only one … Yes it will stick out like a sore thumb but that would be the only one that he has a responsibility to put right, not the whole room. He would have only damaged/affected one skirting

But my point is that by painting one, he has affected the wood in the entire room because they no longer match.
steve01980

But my point is that by painting one, he has affected the wood in the … But my point is that by painting one, he has affected the wood in the entire room because they no longer match.

But where will it end? he glosses all the skirtings, then that makes the door frames and door stand out so he glosses them, then the other side of the door/frame as the paint does not match the other side, the the skirtings there and so on and so forth. Anyway we can go around in circles with this, he could always do all the skirtings, its not a difficult thing and would take no more than half an hour, if he is not that good at painting, just use masking tape.
why dont u just stick the self adhesive trunking to the floor instead of the skirting. ie stick it to the laminate instead. it will be alot easier to remove and if it left residue u can easy clean it off the laminate.
I think you are better off selling your stereo and taking a vow of silence
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants