Need help..!! whats the good HDD to upgrade PS4

Found 18th May 2015
I need to upgrade my ps4 system, as the 500GB is not sufficient for me, like many people do. I was looking for the best hard drive for the upgrade, but now really confused what to get for a cheap upgrade. I know SSD performs well, but I am looking for cheap upgrade, mostly 2TB. Really appreciate some help.
Community Updates
18 Comments
This is reliable and huge. Don't cheap out bud.
amazon.co.uk/Sam…OQ4
Edited by moderator: "trim link" 18th May 2015
looneychoonz74

these are pretty … these are pretty good.http://www.ebuyer.com/412327-1tb-intenso-portable-external-hard-drive-6021560

Hey thanks but that's a 1Tb one and I am looking for 2Tb..
vivek67

Hey thanks but that's a 1Tb one and I am looking for 2Tb..

Seagate expansion 2tb.
m.ebuyer.com/625731

the seagate expansion portable I believe it was.
gerardarmstrong5

This is reliable and huge. Don't cheap out bud. … This is reliable and huge. Don't cheap out bud. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-9-5mm-Internal-Drive-Compatible/dp/B00I8O6OQ4

Thanks man, this looks good.
Will wd my passport ultra 2tb work??
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=ipmimxqtl&istBid=tztx
vivek67

Will wd my passport ultra 2tb work?? … Will wd my passport ultra 2tb work?? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/portable-external-hard-drives/wd-my-passport-ultra-exclusive-hard-drive-2-tb-blue-10030419-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=ipmimxqtl&istBid=tztx

The drive I posted above. You have to dismantle it to get the 2tb samsung drive out off it.

It's one of the cheaper ways to buy the 2tb Samsung drive. As a stand alone unit is about £80, while the portable expansion has been £55 before.

It's a 2 minute job to dismantle and you can house the old 500gb drive into it making a portable 500gb hdd.
kos1c

The drive I posted above. You have to dismantle it to get the 2tb samsung … The drive I posted above. You have to dismantle it to get the 2tb samsung drive out off it. It's one of the cheaper ways to buy the 2tb Samsung drive. As a stand alone unit is about £80, while the portable expansion has been £55 before. It's a 2 minute job to dismantle and you can house the old 500gb drive into it making a portable 500gb hdd.

thanks man i am actually checking it out right now..
vivek67

Will wd my passport ultra 2tb work?? … Will wd my passport ultra 2tb work?? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/portable-external-hard-drives/wd-my-passport-ultra-exclusive-hard-drive-2-tb-blue-10030419-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=ipmimxqtl&istBid=tztx

Yeah if you already have that, it'll work. Google on how to disable your particular model (if you want to keep the caddy).

Essentially any 2.5" drive will work.

vivek67

vivek67

Noooo!!! Don't disassemble your WD passport ultra. It doesn't have a SATA connection nor is it the correct height. If you want a 2TB drive upgrade, your only option is to buy the Samsung M9T drive on it's own or else buy the Seagate Expansion listed in comment #5 or else the similar Seagate Backup Plus 2TB portable drive. These both have the Samsung M9T drive inside the caddy. I believe it's the only 2TB drive that's 9.5mm with a SATA connection.
dreadzone101

Noooo!!! Don't disassemble your WD passport ultra. It doesn't have a SATA … Noooo!!! Don't disassemble your WD passport ultra. It doesn't have a SATA connection nor is it the correct height. If you want a 2TB drive upgrade, your only option is to buy the Samsung M9T drive on it's own or else buy the Seagate Expansion listed in comment #5 or else the similar Seagate Backup Plus 2TB portable drive. These both have the Samsung M9T drive inside the caddy. I believe it's the only 2TB drive that's 9.5mm with a SATA connection.

Thanks.. I think I will go for one of the seagates... Even I thought that any 2.5" will work but it also needs to be 9.5mm in height...
dreadzone101

Noooo!!! Don't disassemble your WD passport ultra. It doesn't have a SATA … Noooo!!! Don't disassemble your WD passport ultra. It doesn't have a SATA connection nor is it the correct height. If you want a 2TB drive upgrade, your only option is to buy the Samsung M9T drive on it's own or else buy the Seagate Expansion listed in comment #5 or else the similar Seagate Backup Plus 2TB portable drive. These both have the Samsung M9T drive inside the caddy. I believe it's the only 2TB drive that's 9.5mm with a SATA connection.

It doesn't? Must be some fancy new device I haven't seen before then!

What connection do you think it has?

Any 2.5" sata drive under 9.5mm will fit.
Edited by: "EagleUK" 18th May 2015
vivek67

Thanks.. I think I will go for one of the seagates... Even I thought that … Thanks.. I think I will go for one of the seagates... Even I thought that any 2.5" will work but it also needs to be 9.5mm in height...

Something to note is that if you buy one of the Seagate portables and extract the drive, it voids the warranty I think. But it's cheaper than buying the M9T drive on its own. £65 on Amazon. Extraction video. Same price in Argos too I think. Yeah needs to be 9.5mm. Some of the earlier 2TB drives are 12.5mm or 15mm like inside the Toshiba Canvio portables. Also what some manufacturers do with external portables is make the hard drive so that the circuit board is direct to the USB port. Hence can't be extracted and put inside a laptop etc since it doesn't have the SATA connection. WD Passports are like this and same with the likes of the Samsung M3.
EagleUK

It doesn't? Must be some fancy new device I haven't seen before then! … It doesn't? Must be some fancy new device I haven't seen before then! What connection do you think it has?Any 2.5" sata drive under 9.5mm will fit.

Yeah, although not all drives inside portables have the SATA connection. Example. Some manufacturers make hard drives that have the circuit board that are direct to USB so no SATA connection. Also some which do have a SATA connection can be 12.5mm or 15mm in height due to the extra platter. Toshiba Canvio have SATA connection but are taller than 9.5mm
dreadzone101

Yeah, although not all drives inside portables have the SATA connection. … Yeah, although not all drives inside portables have the SATA connection. Example. Some manufacturers make hard drives that have the circuit board that are direct to USB so no SATA connection. Also some which do have a SATA connection can be 12.5mm or 15mm in height due to the extra platter. Toshiba Canvio have SATA connection but are taller than 9.5mm

Awesome, cheers for the run down
Personally for warranty cover I just bought an internal Samsung. If you aren't bothered disassemble an external but as already mentioned some don't have sata connections so make sure first.

dreadzone101

Something to note is that if you buy one of the Seagate portables and … Something to note is that if you buy one of the Seagate portables and extract the drive, it voids the warranty I think. But it's cheaper than buying the M9T drive on its own. £65 on Amazon. Extraction video. Same price in Argos too I think. Yeah needs to be 9.5mm. Some of the earlier 2TB drives are 12.5mm or 15mm like inside the Toshiba Canvio portables. Also what some manufacturers do with external portables is make the hard drive so that the circuit board is direct to the USB port. Hence can't be extracted and put inside a laptop etc since it doesn't have the SATA connection. WD Passports are like this and same with the likes of the Samsung M3.

Thanks a lot man. ordered the expansion...:)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions