Groups

Need help with HD-DVD and BLU-RAY

I want to buy a hd-dvd player for the tv so i was thinking of buying the 360 hd-dvd add on for £34 and i also wanted a blu-ray player. Its gonna be ages until there is a dual format player (there is already one out but it costs a bomb) so is it a good idea to but both?

I want HD-DVD because they have good movies such as heroes/transformers/bourne

11 Comments

Id rather the single ones, if one breaks out of warrenty you still have the other - if the dual breaks out of warrenty you lose both.

its not gonna take long for all the hd films to get ported to blu-ray now either i wouldnt have thought

Original Poster

if i buy the 360 hd-dvd will it upscale DVDs through HDMI?? If not and i have to use DVI will it lose significant picture quality?

kiwinator;1721421

if i buy the 360 hd-dvd will it upscale DVDs through HDMI?? If not and i … if i buy the 360 hd-dvd will it upscale DVDs through HDMI?? If not and i have to use DVI will it lose significant picture quality?

Yep

Original Poster

dandoc2;1721596

Yep

Yep to which one?

bump

forget hd dvd, its dead , go for blu ray and buy the ps3! best blu ray and standard definition player out there!

kiwinator;1721421

if i buy the 360 hd-dvd will it upscale DVDs through HDMI

It will upscale it without the HD-dvd drive (if you are using a HDMI)

As for the blu-ray player, i would wait around a few months the price might come down

kiwinator;1721421

if i buy the 360 hd-dvd will it upscale DVDs through HDMI?? If not and i … if i buy the 360 hd-dvd will it upscale DVDs through HDMI?? If not and i have to use DVI will it lose significant picture quality?

You can get an HDMI to DVD adapter or more cheaply a lead with an HDMI male plug on one end and a male DVI-D plug on the other. Ebuyer has them from less than £3. That way you will get HD on your display.

There are dual players (Pioneer) for about £99 for fitting in PCs and BD burners that also play HD DVDs for around £160 (LG)
    So HD DVD is not quite dead yet in the eyes of the hardware market. Toshiba got cold feet.

I picked up the Tosh HD-EP30 today from Comet for £59.99 with Bourne Supremacy and 300 dvds inside box. Not quite as good as the Play offer, but Amazon have put it up to £80+

Its kinda pointless buying hd-dvd player now, all the hd movies out currently will get a blu-ray release soon. i guess if you can be bothered with the hassle of having two players for the future then you might as well take advantage of the cheap hd-dvd discs going around at the moment but the 34 quid xbox drive isn't that great apparantly. Put all your money into getting a decent blu-ray player that will give you the best possible picture for all the current and future film releases.

03bintls;1824035

Its kinda pointless buying hd-dvd player now, all the hd movies out … Its kinda pointless buying hd-dvd player now, all the hd movies out currently will get a blu-ray release soon. i guess if you can be bothered with the hassle of having two players for the future then you might as well take advantage of the cheap hd-dvd discs going around at the moment but the 34 quid xbox drive isn't that great apparantly. Put all your money into getting a decent blu-ray player that will give you the best possible picture for all the current and future film releases.

YEah agreed. Don't bother wasting your money on HD-dvd when the disks from some places are £5 a pop. Just wait for them to be released of the winning blue-ray format and pay £20 a disk. Blue ray rulez and I know everythingk there is to now about it! :thumbsup:

How about buying a Playstation 3? Built in Blue ray, and also get all the fun from gaming.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. DVD storage22
      2. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?77
      3. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door11
      4. Looking for a mobile phone with a £300 budget22

See more discussions