Need help with home Internet dropping out please

Found 21st Sep 2017
hi all

I have the latest virgin media superhub on my 100mb connection. The hub is in modem mode and it is connected to my asus rtn56u router which is probably 10 years old.

Problem I have is like at least once an hour I get dropout. Both wifi and my connected powerline connection to my pc drop out. The problem rectified itself like a minute later.

Is this down to my router or the virgin modem?

if it's router what is my best router to buy to upgrade it? I don't want to spend a fortune so £100 is my budget.

thanks for your help
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Seems over the years wifi signal has been boosted. Power turned up because folks were always complaining about signal strength. Problem is there are so many wifi points it's flooding the airways which causes problems. I can pick up about 30 wifi points from surrounding houses plus we have phones. Tablets. Printers. Firesticks ect all tring to connect. The airways are full which causes dropouts with channel switching and interference. It's a common problem with no answer.
Original Poster
wayners5 h, 2 m ago

Seems over the years wifi signal has been boosted. Power turned up because …Seems over the years wifi signal has been boosted. Power turned up because folks were always complaining about signal strength. Problem is there are so many wifi points it's flooding the airways which causes problems. I can pick up about 30 wifi points from surrounding houses plus we have phones. Tablets. Printers. Firesticks ect all tring to connect. The airways are full which causes dropouts with channel switching and interference. It's a common problem with no answer.

Sorry to clarify. It's my wired and wireless dropping...the entire network drops. Just checked my router and it says something is wrong with the ISPs DHCP.
For the avoidance of doubt I would swap out your old router. They are cheap enough to pickup and it rules in or out your possible rouge connection point
Phone VM. They will send someone out. I had this and it was a damaged cable that didn't look damaged
Original Poster
Thanks for replying guys. I took my router out and used my virgin superhub. Within an hour I had two hard disconnects lasting several minutes. Phoned virgin and it was an automated thing saying problem in my area and engineer on it.

Funnily enough Internet came back like 5 minutes after.

Gonna ring virgin tomorrow and demand an engineer come out.
an engineer cant fix an area issue, you'll be wasting both yours and his time
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions