Groups

Need help with notebook

I have been given a Sony Vario notebook which is running Windows 98. I would like to hook up to the web with it, what is best way of doing this? It does not have ethernet port or a disk drive, I have a wireless dongle but because it is wins 98 it is asking for a driver which I have on cd but I don't have a drive to put it in. Is it best to buy a wireless card for it or an external disk drive - how do these connect to the notebook?

1 Comment

Banned

we covered this already:

hotukdeals.com/ite…ter
    so you really just made a new thread anyway?

before you go further

I suggest you double check the driver, are you sure its for win98?

and check its not just for win98se, as that driver wont work

you cannot use a memory stick as win98 needs drivers for that, blind alley there.

the only realistic way is if you have a floppy disc on your laptop and find someone who has a pc with cd drive and a floppy

a wireless card will need a driver, a period one would come with these on floppy. an external drive would need usb, and need usb drivers, which you cant use.

i think you will find anyway, it will run like its on dialup, pcs that age are so slow, and there isnt a decent browser anyway.
    a win 98 machine is before pentiums, i threw away a pentium 2, which would have had close to 10 times the ram of your laptop, and it was unusable online. Sorry
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553757
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826345
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767183
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423714459

See more discussions