Need help with unblocking outside drain.

Posted 30th Nov
Drain outside running from my kitchen and bathroom is blocked and is overflowing into the neighbours drain on the other side of the fence. They’ve haven’t complained or anything but I just want to clear it. Before I call anyone out I was wondering if any of you know some good products I can try myself first. I’ve tried numerous hot buckets of soapy water to try and make the pressure unblock it. Thanks
3351546-jYFh4.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Ringfinger30/11/2019 11:25

If it's roots, call in the professionals.

Not sure if that's something Bodie & Doyle would be willing to handle but worth giving them a shout, I guess?
23 Comments
Thick gloves and put your hand down there. Could well be blocked with leaves. Wear a t-shirt so you can then put that in the wash and jump in the shower!

If you can lift the main manhole cover and you may well see something, but be aware there might be a rather strong smell or two.
if you have a pressure washer get the highest pressure nozzle in it stick it under the water and give a few short blasts
Where is the blockage? Where is water last seen running? Basically, if the blockage is on neighbours property, it's their problem.
That aside, what caused the blockage - Paper products down toilet, build up of fat from kitchen washing up, or roots invading the pipework?

Each need different resolutions. If it's paper and 'soft blockage' (polite name for poo) then a set of drain rods a plunger head. Plunge only just into the pipe, and lots of short sharp plunges, no big draw or you could lose your plunger head and be up sh.. Creek, literally.

If it's fat, the best thing is to plunge to move it then remove any excess fat with a high pressure jet wash - chemicals are pretty useless unless you empty the affected pipe, block it off and then fill it with chemical (just putting it in will only clear a channel enough to allow the chemical to drain, if you think about it).

Not sure if that's something Bodie & Doyle would be willing to handle but worth giving them a shout, I guess?
Must be a 12” Richard jammed horizontal !

Put a Asda bag for life on your hand and hope there’s no tear and fight that big boy out
Edited by: "ashmac" 30th Nov
Either rod it both sides of the gully, or buy a tub of caustic soda aka Sodium Hydroxide (don't buy bottles of liquid stuff), but use gloves and treat it with great respect, it will dissolve the fat under your skin and turn it to soap just as well as it dissolves the fat and hair in the blockage and it gets very hot!
Edited by: "melted" 30th Nov
Try domestic unblockers like caustic soda once you’ve removed some excess water 1st
jamstaruk197230/11/2019 11:20

if you have a pressure washer get the highest pressure nozzle in it stick …if you have a pressure washer get the highest pressure nozzle in it stick it under the water and give a few short blasts

Try and hold it at arms length as you squeeze the trigger, the potential for a nasty splash back is great wear goggles and a scarf or bandana over your lower face at least if no other protection available, I have made this mistake once and once only, I now have an old motorcycle helmet thats a few years old so no longer suitable for use for dirty pressyre washing protection.
We have the same problem but our conservatory is built above the drain cover 😡 its a rented property but weve tried every type of drain cleaner (down our kitchen sink) and its still blocked. The U bend in kitchen is clear but we cant get to the actual drain to unblock it.
looks bad. doesn't look like something that you would be able to deal with so best call dynorod.
The round metal cover next to the blocked drain is a drain rodding point (surprised no-one else has mentioned this), have you tried removing it to see whats going on down there?
If that's brim full of water as well then the pipe is blocked further on and its a job for dynorod.
However if thats clear then its the gulley itself in front of you (i.e. the drain) that is blocked. Put a plastic or rubber glove on and see if there are leaves or maybe a plastic bag or wrapper blocking it below the water level. Not a pleasant job I know but it could save you a few quid!
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 30th Nov
A friend told me a plumber unblocked his toilet pipe by getting a load of plastic shopping bags to create a seal and then used them like a plunger, load of old cloths inside a bag should do the same
JimboParrot30/11/2019 11:18

Thick gloves and put your hand down there. Could well be blocked with …Thick gloves and put your hand down there. Could well be blocked with leaves. Wear a t-shirt so you can then put that in the wash and jump in the shower!If you can lift the main manhole cover and you may well see something, but be aware there might be a rather strong smell or two.

I’ll try this tomorrow. Thanks
jamstaruk197230/11/2019 11:20

if you have a pressure washer get the highest pressure nozzle in it stick …if you have a pressure washer get the highest pressure nozzle in it stick it under the water and give a few short blasts

Ok, give this a go and see if it makes any difference. Thanks

Where is the blockage? Where is water last seen running? Basically, if …Where is the blockage? Where is water last seen running? Basically, if the blockage is on neighbours property, it's their problem.That aside, what caused the blockage - Paper products down toilet, build up of fat from kitchen washing up, or roots invading the pipework?Each need different resolutions. If it's paper and 'soft blockage' (polite name for poo) then a set of drain rods a plunger head. Plunge only just into the pipe, and lots of short sharp plunges, no big draw or you could lose your plunger head and be up sh.. Creek, literally.If it's fat, the best thing is to plunge to move it then remove any excess fat with a high pressure jet wash - chemicals are pretty useless unless you empty the affected pipe, block it off and then fill it with chemical (just putting it in will only clear a channel enough to allow the chemical to drain, if you think about it).If it's roots, call in the professionals.

The blockage is definitely in my drain just not sure where. Someone suggested using a mop down the rod drain
harlzter30/11/2019 13:04

Try and hold it at arms length as you squeeze the trigger, the potential …Try and hold it at arms length as you squeeze the trigger, the potential for a nasty splash back is great wear goggles and a scarf or bandana over your lower face at least if no other protection available, I have made this mistake once and once only, I now have an old motorcycle helmet thats a few years old so no longer suitable for use for dirty pressyre washing protection.

Delbert.Grady30/11/2019 18:07

The round metal cover next to the blocked drain is a drain rodding point …The round metal cover next to the blocked drain is a drain rodding point (surprised no-one else has mentioned this), have you tried removing it to see whats going on down there? If that's brim full of water as well then the pipe is blocked further on and its a job for dynorod.However if thats clear then its the gulley itself in front of you (i.e. the drain) that is blocked. Put a plastic or rubber glove on and see if there are leaves or maybe a plastic bag or wrapper blocking it below the water level. Not a pleasant job I know but it could save you a few quid!

I was wondering what the other cover was for. Thanks, I’ll open it up tomorrow and check. I’ll post some pics of it
jayonline8530/11/2019 19:19

I was wondering what the other cover was for. Thanks, I’ll open it up t …I was wondering what the other cover was for. Thanks, I’ll open it up tomorrow and check. I’ll post some pics of it

The oval one is rodding access. So you can push rod along the pipe without excessive bending of the rod and damage to pipework or manhole.
Try use a drain rod.They can be bought for around £20.Just remember to keep turning them clockwise when you are using them as the lengths are screw on & you don't want to lose one in the drain
Have u got a normal mop. Turn the white pipe out of the way. Get a big mop and force it up and down the drain. Make sure the drain is filled with water to create water pressure to clear the blockage. Worked for me many times. If no luck then you can buy some commercial drain cleaner from Toolstation.
Pour the bottle down a half filled drain and leave it for 10 minutes. It will dissolve the fat if it's close by. If the blockage is further ahead then you will need to rod it clear or pressure wash it out.
But definitely try removing the rodding point cover and rod it with drain rods. If all else fails you can buy a karcher drain pressure Lance from Toolstation for around £50. That will pretty much clear anything that will be down there.
Drain cleaner
Karcher Drain cleaner
Edited by: "kash2013" 30th Nov
kash201330/11/2019 21:50

Have u got a normal mop. Turn the white pipe out of the way. Get a big mop …Have u got a normal mop. Turn the white pipe out of the way. Get a big mop and force it up and down the drain. Make sure the drain is filled with water to create water pressure to clear the blockage. Worked for me many times. If no luck then you can buy some commercial drain cleaner from Toolstation. Pour the bottle down a half filled drain and leave it for 10 minutes. It will dissolve the fat if it's close by. If the blockage is further ahead then you will need to rod it clear or pressure wash it out. But definitely try removing the rodding point cover and rod it with drain rods. If all else fails you can buy a karcher drain pressure Lance from Toolstation for around £50. That will pretty much clear anything that will be down there. Drain cleanerKarcher Drain cleaner[Video]

A £3 mop, a bucket of hot water, some fairy liquid and the jobs done . Thanks everyone for helping I appreciate it.
39218437-eKLPl.jpg
jayonline8501/12/2019 16:16

A £3 mop, a bucket of hot water, some fairy liquid and the jobs done . …A £3 mop, a bucket of hot water, some fairy liquid and the jobs done . Thanks everyone for helping I appreciate it. [Image]

Plumbers are a hating lol!
I've done a *lot* of drain work... Digging them up, laying new ones, unblocking existings, fitting and maintaining all kinds of sewage treatment plants...

1 - SHEDLOADS of plunging... Keep at it... For a long old time... (enough to break at least one plunger!)
2 - Only resort to drainrods if you a) strain yourself with plungers and b) know how gentle you have to be (It's not hard to break drains with drainrods)
3 - Use chemicals on a *slightly* blocked drain... And every six months on a drain that has a tendency to get blocked

What's your washing machine like? Prolly get some stuff for that too, before it's too late..!

GLHF

wide02/12/2019 06:13

I've done a *lot* of drain work... Digging them up, laying new ones, …I've done a *lot* of drain work... Digging them up, laying new ones, unblocking existings, fitting and maintaining all kinds of sewage treatment plants... 1 - SHEDLOADS of plunging... Keep at it... For a long old time... (enough to break at least one plunger!)2 - Only resort to drainrods if you a) strain yourself with plungers and b) know how gentle you have to be (It's not hard to break drains with drainrods) 3 - Use chemicals on a *slightly* blocked drain... And every six months on a drain that has a tendency to get blockedWhat's your washing machine like? Prolly get some stuff for that too, before it's too late..!GLHF

Yep, been there and broke a rod inside the pipe, luckily found out my local waterboard had adopted my sewer, lucky escape!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions