Groups
    EXPIRED

need help with upgrade to play bf4 ?

I have ordered 4gb more ram ,now the graphic card that will play bf4 on high settings ,also is my possessor good enough for a decent card ?
    Thanks in advance!

Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X2 560 31 °C
    Callisto 45nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 700MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A78LT-M (AM3) 39 °C
    Graphics
    DELL 1907FP ([email protected])
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5670 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 41 °C
    Storage
    931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 29 °C
    931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device
    Audio
    VIA HD Audio

33 Comments

We will need to know your psu size before recommending a gfx card. I think your cpu will be a limiting factor but you are playing at a low resolution so it might not be as bad as playing at 1080p

Original Poster

enigmatik33

We will need to know your psu size before recommending a gfx card. I … We will need to know your psu size before recommending a gfx card. I think your cpu will be a limiting factor but you are playing at a low resolution so it might not be as bad as playing at 1080p

that was quick ,ok it's a win power plus 750w AD-E750AE-A5/A6.

wouldn't waste your time mate, its a crap game

Original Poster

mseeds1

wouldn't waste your time mate, its a crap game

is it better than bf3?

Original Poster

bubblegum2910

This won't help before you upgrade, but try … This won't help before you upgrade, but try thishttp://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Thanks that a good way of testing my system.

Recommended: 3GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 / NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 or better
    You Have: AMD Radeon HD 5670
    Video Card Click here for the latest Video Card drivers.
    Upgrade Suggested
    AMD Radeon HD 5670
    43rd percentile
    Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card
    Required You Have
    Icon Pixel Shader version 5.0 5.0
    Icon Vertex Shader version 5.0 5.0
    Icon Dedicated Video RAM 3 GB 1.0 GB
    CPU CPU
    Recommended: AMD Six-core CPU, Intel quad-core CPU or better
    You Have: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 560 Processor
    CPU Click here for the latest CPU drivers.
    Upgrade Suggested
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 560 Processor
    39th percentile
    CPU Speed CPU SPEED
    Recommended: Info
    You Have: 3.3 GHz

RAM RAM
    Recommended: 8 GB
    You Have: 4.1 GB
    Upgrade Suggested
    4.1 GB
    55th percentile
    OS OS
    Recommended: Windows 8 64-Bit
    You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    Windows Click here for the latest Windows drivers.
    Upgrade Suggested
    Free Disk Space FREE DISK SPACE
    Recommended: 30 GB
    You Have: 231.7 GB
    Free Disk Space Click here for the latest Free Disk Space drivers.

Original Poster

so looking at that what is the best cpu i can put in this mother board? @ best price to buy or second hand as don't want to spend loads. same with graphic card.

I believe the most powerful CPU you could purchase for this motherboard is an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T running at 95 Watts.

You're going to have a difficult time finding some of these older CPUs but you could try Newegg or eBay. I would imagine you'll find used chips rather than brand new.

Your motherboard is limited to a TDP of 95 Watts. You should not purchase a CPU with a TDP higher than that. Also, you're going to want to assess your current cooling mechanism as you may need to upgrade the cooling fan, and will also require new thermal grease for application to the top of the chip once it's seated in the motherboard.

Finally, it's usually said that a CPU upgrade will rarely help with gaming, at least that's the case for me, running an i7 3840QM - with the next step up being a 3920XM, a formidable CPU in its own right, but a paltry 10% increase over my current chip. As I'm using a single GTX680M in my laptop with the option to buy another and run it in SLI, the GPU upgrade is the primary option for gaming.

Original Poster

dkl_uk

I believe the most powerful CPU you could purchase for this motherboard … I believe the most powerful CPU you could purchase for this motherboard is an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T running at 95 Watts. You're going to have a difficult time finding some of these older CPUs but you could try Newegg or eBay. I would imagine you'll find used chips rather than brand new.Your motherboard is limited to a TDP of 95 Watts. You should not purchase a CPU with a TDP higher than that. Also, you're going to want to assess your current cooling mechanism as you may need to upgrade the cooling fan, and will also require new thermal grease for application to the top of the chip once it's seated in the motherboard.Finally, it's usually said that a CPU upgrade will rarely help with gaming, at least that's the case for me, running an i7 3840QM - with the next step up being a 3920XM, a formidable CPU in its own right, but a paltry 10% increase over my current chip. As I'm using a single GTX680M in my laptop with the option to buy another and run it in SLI, the GPU upgrade is the primary option for gaming.

Thanks for the reply!
    I can now start to look for the right parts maybe i will just get a better graphic card if the cpu upgrade will not make a lot of difference?

Please don't confuse CPU, GPU and PSU. I'm not being pedantic, knowing the difference between all three is essential.

PSU = Power Supply Unit. I haven't researched your model of PSU but at 750W it seems enough.

CPU = Central Processing Unit. This is the chip that powers your interactions with various applications and upgrading the CPU can remove bottlenecks. For your system, the slow RAM and graphics card mean a CPU upgrade will have no significant impact on gaming, but would help you edit a video.

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. The GPU us the power house when it comes to gaming. A GPU comes with its own RAM and the higher the better - however, with that comes a twist. Windows comes in 32bit and 64bit. 32bit cannot address more than 4GB overall RAM so chucking a high end GPU into a system with 4GB RAM on the motherboard will mean less RAM for Windows to use. A 64bit operating system doesn't have that limitation.

dkl_uk

Your motherboard is limited to a TDP of 95 Watts.

Asus' website disagrees with you:
    asus.com/uk/…ns/

The first priority is definitely graphics card. Battlefield isn't generally very CPU heavy in benchmarks, although actual multiplayer will add some more load.

Well, it sounds like you've got an ebay build power supply so you might want to replace that. Untraceable brand PSU wattage claims tend to be a joke at the best of times and you're lucky if it'll reliably deliver half of that. Looking up the model number it appears they've at least tried to limit the damage by only including one PCI-E 6-pin connector (so your '750W' PSU can supply a grand total of 150W to graphics cards).

So if you don't replace you're power supply you're looking at the lower end of gaming cards with a Radeon 270 or Geforce 750ti. Depending on the resolution you wish to run at they may handle high settings:
    techpowerup.com/rev…tml

Oh dear, Tom's Hardware showed the TPL for the 'LE' model. 125W CPU is fine then.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Asus' website disagrees with … Asus' website disagrees with you:http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/M4A78LTM/specifications/The first priority is definitely graphics card. Battlefield isn't generally very CPU heavy in benchmarks, although actual multiplayer will add some more load.Well, it sounds like you've got an ebay build power supply so you might want to replace that. Untraceable brand PSU wattage claims tend to be a joke at the best of times and you're lucky if it'll reliably deliver half of that. Looking up the model number it appears they've at least tried to limit the damage by only including one PCI-E 6-pin connector (so your '750W' PSU can supply a grand total of 150W to graphics cards).So if you don't replace you're power supply you're looking at the lower end of gaming cards with a Radeon 270 or Geforce 750ti. Depending on the resolution you wish to run at they may handle high settings:http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/10.html

Thanks for informative reply and spotting my mistake I did mean cpu . yes i did buy from eBay a while ago I didn't realize it was not what it said on the tin though,so you think I should get a better one ? I have a psu in my older pc is that a better one CIT model 550UT ? also now that you have found that 125w cpu will be ok for my MB what cpu is the best option?

mark stephens

Thanks for informative reply and spotting my mistake I did mean cpu . yes … Thanks for informative reply and spotting my mistake I did mean cpu . yes i did buy from eBay a while ago I didn't realize it was not what it said on the tin though,so you think I should get a better one ? I have a psu in my older pc is that a better one CIT model 550UT ? also now that you have found that 125w cpu will be ok for my MB what cpu is the best option?

The CIT Psu will be worse again not a trusted manufacturer. A 450 watt psu from one of the established brands will suffice.

Original Poster

Chidmas

The CIT Psu will be worse again not a trusted manufacturer. A 450 watt … The CIT Psu will be worse again not a trusted manufacturer. A 450 watt psu from one of the established brands will suffice.

Thank you very much very helpful,what do you think about cpu upgrade not sure what is the best one for my MB least i know 125w is ok.

Original Poster

I think this is the limit for my board Phenom IIX6 1100T(HDE00ZFBK6DGR),3.3GHz,125W,rev.E0,SocketAM3,6-Core

mark stephens

I think this is the limit for my board Phenom IIX6 … I think this is the limit for my board Phenom IIX6 1100T(HDE00ZFBK6DGR),3.3GHz,125W,rev.E0,SocketAM3,6-Core

Unless you know someone whos going to sell that for cheap I would stay well clear of that CPU for a third of the price you could buy a fx 6300 which would out perform that. After reading the following thread it seems its not even compatible tomshardware.co.uk/for…8lt and that goes for any 125w CPU
    Edited by: "Chidmas" 25th Dec 2014

Chidmas

After reading the following thread it seems its not even compatible … After reading the following thread it seems its not even compatible http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279950-30-asus-m4a78lt and that goes for any 125w CPU

That's the 'LE' version. Same problem I had with Toms Hardware - it's a different motherboard and the thread hasn't been titled properly in Google. 125W is fine as long as the motherboard isn't the LE version, which based on the second post by OP this isn't.

Original Poster

dkl_uk

That's the 'LE' version. Same problem I had with Toms Hardware - it's a … That's the 'LE' version. Same problem I had with Toms Hardware - it's a different motherboard and the thread hasn't been titled properly in Google. 125W is fine as long as the motherboard isn't the LE version, which based on the second post by OP this isn't.

Thanks for your for reply will the fx 6300 fit in a 938 pin am3 socket?

Original Poster

I can confirm this is my mother board Asus M4A78LT-M AMD 760G AM3 Motherboard

Original Poster

dkl_uk

That's the 'LE' version. Same problem I had with Toms Hardware - it's a … That's the 'LE' version. Same problem I had with Toms Hardware - it's a different motherboard and the thread hasn't been titled properly in Google. 125W is fine as long as the motherboard isn't the LE version, which based on the second post by OP this isn't.

Original Poster

Chidmas

Unless you know someone whos going to sell that for cheap I would stay … Unless you know someone whos going to sell that for cheap I would stay well clear of that CPU for a third of the price you could buy a fx 6300 which would out perform that. After reading the following thread it seems its not even compatible http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279950-30-asus-m4a78lt and that goes for any 125w CPU

Thanks yes would like that cpu (FX 6300) if its compatible? cheaper and faster and 95w my mother board is Asus M4A78LT-M AMD 760G AM3 .

You would need a AM3+ motherboard to use the FX6300.
    Edited by: "Evouk" 26th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Evouk

You would need a AM3+ motherboard to use the FX6300.

Thank you - so now i know fx6300 will not work on my MB.

mark stephens

Thank you - so now i know fx6300 will not work on my MB.

Yes the fx6300 wouldnt work on this mother board but for the price of the cpu you are looking at you could buy a motherboard and an fx 6300 and still have around £80 spare thats if you dont know anyone . Apologies was just trying to highlight the futility of upgrading if your paying the going rate for the cpu. You're looking at. The processor you are looking at is compatible although pcpartpicker doesn't show this but that is definitive.

If you give me a budget ill scout around the best deal for you.
    Edited by: "Chidmas" 26th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Chidmas

Yes the fx6300 wouldnt work on this mother board but for the price of … Yes the fx6300 wouldnt work on this mother board but for the price of the cpu you are looking at you could buy a motherboard and an fx 6300 and still have around £80 spare thats if you dont know anyone . Apologies was just trying to highlight the futility of upgrading if your paying the going rate for the cpu. You're looking at. The processor you are looking at is compatible although pcpartpicker doesn't show this but that is definitive. If you give me a budget ill scout around the best deal for you.

I was just thinking the same weather to get a am3+ mother board and fx300 , trouble is then it means new psu as mine is a winpower 750w not a good brand.also got to install windows ,no disc. so is it best to just put a Phenom IIX6 1065T(HDT65TWFK6DGR),2.9GHz,95W,rev.E0,SocketAM3,6-Core in for about £70.

Original Poster

or this one ebay.co.uk/itm…546 is it much better than the one i have in my MB a AMD Phenom II X2 560.

mark stephens

or this one … or this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-x6-1055T-2-8GHz-6MB-Hex-Core-Scoket-AM3-95W-TDP-E0-HDT55TWFK6DGR/351242101413?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140221143405%26meid%3D0cbe768106554754999dc6e8d4f38afe%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D20140221143405%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D221641244546 is it much better than the one i have in my MB a AMD Phenom II X2 560.

Yes thats about twice as good as the one you have. A new motherboard could lead to one issue. If you have an OEM version of Windows 7 then it is tied to the motherboard and so you will lose it.

These are the following questions I would ask yourself.
    In a years time do you think it likely that youll want to upgrade again? If Yes then you need to just build from scratch because these two processors are pretty much at the top of what you can install on your setup, secondly if you want to get every little bit of performance from the CPU by overclocking your motherboard, cpu and ram are all bottlenecks (also on overclocking the processor you have linked to isnt a black edition so overclocking is slightly more difficult). The GPU will also suffer with a better graphics card.

To conclude I would go for the processor you have posted also replace the GPU as that will make the biggest difference to gaming, but also be aware that your RAM and PSU may need to be replacing. Worst case scenario you can sell the CPU

Original Poster

Chidmas

Yes thats about twice as good as the one you have. A new motherboard … Yes thats about twice as good as the one you have. A new motherboard could lead to one issue. If you have an OEM version of Windows 7 then it is tied to the motherboard and so you will lose it. These are the following questions I would ask yourself. In a years time do you think it likely that youll want to upgrade again? If Yes then you need to just build from scratch because these two processors are pretty much at the top of what you can install on your setup, secondly if you want to get every little bit of performance from the CPU by overclocking your motherboard, cpu and ram are all bottlenecks (also on overclocking the processor you have linked to isnt a black edition so overclocking is slightly more difficult). The GPU will also suffer with a better graphics card.To conclude I would go for the processor you have posted also replace the GPU as that will make the biggest difference to gaming, but also be aware that your RAM and PSU may need to be replacing. Worst case scenario you can sell the CPU

cheers for looking into it for me .
    also if you could as a second option how much could i get a fx6300 and motherboard- psu and gpu if i decided to build one ?
    Thank you! ps . Santa should of bought be one.

The Phenom X6s are good chips, but for a lot of games you may find one of the higher clocked X4s is marginally better.

As I said before though, your primary concern is the graphics card. You could potentially increase performance three or four fold with a new graphics card alone (especially if your 5670 one is the slower GDDR3 version). With your current graphics card a CPU upgrade won't do a thing and even with a faster card it's likely to be under 1.5x improvement.

If you wanted to build a system then something like £350-400 would be a mid-range gaming combination of CPU/Motherboard/GPU/PSU.

FX6300 will cost around 60-80 dependent on new or used.
    Motherboard AM3+ you are looking about 50-£80 ideally this motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 as it will let you overclock the fx 6300 at a later date - Set you back from £40 to £80 dependant on new or used and what brand
    GPU - Graphics card 270x will cost from £80-£100
    PSU - Bronze rated 500w will set you back £40-£45 this is complete overkill but will its a good psu for a good price only issue is it isnt module dabs.com/pro…c=3

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

The Phenom X6s are good chips, but for a lot of games you may find one of … The Phenom X6s are good chips, but for a lot of games you may find one of the higher clocked X4s is marginally better.As I said before though, your primary concern is the graphics card. You could potentially increase performance three or four fold with a new graphics card alone (especially if your 5670 one is the slower GDDR3 version). With your current graphics card a CPU upgrade won't do a thing and even with a faster card it's likely to be under 1.5x improvement. If you wanted to build a system then something like £350-400 would be a mid-range gaming combination of CPU/Motherboard/GPU/PSU.

cheers for that- that is going to be my first upgrade then a better gpu then i will go from there i think it will be a 750 Ti lower watts. then cpu a quad core not sure witch one yet -then a new psu.

Original Poster

Chidmas

FX6300 will cost around 60-80 dependent on new or used.Motherboard AM3+ … FX6300 will cost around 60-80 dependent on new or used.Motherboard AM3+ you are looking about 50-£80 ideally this motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 as it will let you overclock the fx 6300 at a later date - Set you back from £40 to £80 dependant on new or used and what brand GPU - Graphics card 270x will cost from £80-£100PSU - Bronze rated 500w will set you back £40-£45 this is complete overkill but will its a good psu for a good price only issue is it isnt module http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-750w-cx-builder-series-80plus-bronze-psu-8758.html?us=1&src=3#usedstock

thanks for looking for me I will note down the model of the MB you put here and parts thank you very much.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      3. word association Game74044544
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468

See more discussions