Need helping with putting on outdoor lighting

13 replies
Found 19th Dec 2016
So I've bought 3 lights from ebay to put outdoors for decoration but I'm not sure if I need to use an adapter of some sort or a Transformer as I don't want to blow any fuses at home. The voltage on each set of lights shows as 240v. Any advice?

It's this set of lights that I got.
m.ebay.co.uk/itm…ERS

13 Comments

Did they come with a standard 3 pin plug on them? 240v is the standard domestic voltage you get at home so you should be fine as long as they stay dry.

Original Poster

wolfee

Did they come with a standard 3 pin plug on them? 240v is the standard … Did they come with a standard 3 pin plug on them? 240v is the standard domestic voltage you get at home so you should be fine as long as they stay dry.

Yeah they did but I bought 3 of those so am wondering if it's safe to plug into an extension cord or not?

I'm no electrician but the 240v is suitable for UK Mains, if your worried about blowing a fuse/your circuit plug them into an RCD which is safer with them being outside anyway. LED's tend to be low wattage and it's your total wattage going into the plug socket/ ring circuit that's most important I believe but someone may correct me.

The plug should remain dry

going by listing the lights are ok outside but the controller box isn't and the plug wont be unless you have one of those weatherproof sockets

Plug them in indoors run the cable out thru a window. Mine are thin enough to be shut in the window, I also take the trickle vents off sometimes
Edited by: "Rich44" 19th Dec 2016

Original Poster

Rich44

Plug them in indoors run the cable out thru a window. Mine are thin … Plug them in indoors run the cable out thru a window. Mine are thin enough to be shut in the window, I also take the trickle vents off sometimes

Yeah I was thinking of doing that through the windows

Original Poster

Rich44

Plug them in indoors run the cable out thru a window. Mine are thin … Plug them in indoors run the cable out thru a window. Mine are thin enough to be shut in the window, I also take the trickle vents off sometimes

Is it safe to use an extension cable for 3 of these lights?

ash how many watts is each set of lights ?

Original Poster

tomminator

ash how many watts is each set of lights ?

I don't think it says how many watts but it says 220v each. I can take a look if it says anything on it.

Im an electrician, if you dont want them permanent then certainly put the cable through the window and plug it into a socket, as a normal plug is not IP68 rated (waterproof) you cannot have it outside , these lights will be no more than 100w total so definitely can have them all on an extention lead, id suggest to buy an RCD socket and plug the RCD socket into the wall then the extention lead into that , then the lights , give you piece of mind , if anything goes wrong the RCD socket will trip and not your electrics, Thanks

Original Poster

andrewmclachlan1

Im an electrician, if you dont want them permanent then certainly put the … Im an electrician, if you dont want them permanent then certainly put the cable through the window and plug it into a socket, as a normal plug is not IP68 rated (waterproof) you cannot have it outside , these lights will be no more than 100w total so definitely can have them all on an extention lead, id suggest to buy an RCD socket and plug the RCD socket into the wall then the extention lead into that , then the lights , give you piece of mind , if anything goes wrong the RCD socket will trip and not your electrics, Thanks

Thanks for your help. Will this be suitable?

amazon.co.uk/gp/…1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482185753&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=rcd%2Bplug&dpPl=1&dpID=41IOuKfZMjL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I bought two large light/rope displays from B&Q last year - a 3ft+ father Christmas and a dove - I had them on display on the inside bedroom windows last year but they absolutely smell horrible, especially when they heat up. This year, I've managed to hang them on the outside of the windows (used some of the plastic coated garden wire on a roll that I bought from Poundland - father Christmas is standing in the gutter though). The cables are quite thick, so I've just fed them through the small top window and plugged them in indoors - just hoping that the temperature does not drop too much within the next couple of weeks!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland1232
    2. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!88
    3. Coming up to bonfire night ...2339
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247605

See more discussions