Groups

Need i7-6700HQ laptop (not for Gaming!)

I've been looking for a powerful laptop for work use and then hobby based video editing. Want something that will be powerful and futureproof. Most it will be used in place of a desktop and on occasions also need to it to be mobile.
    The spec I want tends to be more gaming laptops but I can't stand the look of these gaming laptops. I would like something like an XPS with all the bells and the whistles but they are far outside my budget. I would be happy with the needed spec but in an standard Inspiron body shell and ideally aluminium / silver.

The spec I would like is:

15.4" FHD
    i7-6700HQ processor
    16GB RAM (or less if easy to upgrade)
    SSD drive (or not if easy to upgrade)
    HDD if the SSD is smaller then 500GB
    Nvadia graphics card (semi decent)
    Decent battery (to last a day)
    Backlit keyboard
    Less then 2kg (ish)
    Less then 2cm thick
    (Not Gaming styled!)

Been looking for long and these i7-6700HQ are not the one that tend to be on offer in a smart looking non-gaming body shell.

I saw offer of the spec available for £849 delivered new but it was the Gaming version so not interested:
    dell.com/uk/…dhs

I then have been looking at Dell Outlet where I have been seeing some Dell 15 7000 series with required spec so I have placed an order for a Inspiron 15 7566 as below:
    outlet.euro.dell.com/Onl…4bb

This is refurbished and for £778.82 - 10% = £700.94 delivered.

Now, this is a hesitant purchase if this is the standard 7000 series laptop that has this bodyshell:
    dell.com/uk/…top

But if its the gaming bodyshell then the image and description is very misleading as the picture shows a slender looking laptop and the description does not mention Gaming anywhere. I would be shocked if they were trying to sell a reburbished laptop for £778.82 when new is available for just £70 more??

So what am I likely to be sent, the Gaming laptop bodyshell or the standard 7000 series bodyshell?

Please advise of what alternative options I have? Can be other makes.

13 Comments

Original Poster

This is the spec of the Dell refurb I have ordered thinking it to be a standard Dell 15 7000 series and not gaming:

Inspiron 15 - 7566
    Windows 10 Home (64bit)
    128 GB SATAIII Solid State Drive
    1 TB SATA 2.5inch (5,400 Rpm) Hard Drive
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (4 Core,6M Cache up to 3.5GHz, 45W)
    16GB (1x16GB) 2400MHz SDRAM DDR4 Non-ECC
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 with 4GB
    15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
    LCD Back Cover - Black (Non-Touch Screen)
    Internal Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
    Battery : Primary 6-cell 74W/HR(Integrated)
    Power Supply: 130W AC Adapter
    Power Adapter - UK Type
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11ac, 1x1, 2.4 & 5GHz + Bluetooth 4.0
    Certified Refurbished

If its gaming - need to cancel and the search continues!

Original Poster

Here is an alternative that someone posted that I was considering but it was voted / commented down:

hotukdeals.com/dea…376

The 7566 is the quad-core (gaming) version, the normal dual-core version is the 7560.

Original Poster

Here is one of the few i7-6700HQ that got voted somewhat hot. Was a refurb and no longer available:
    hotukdeals.com/dea…304

I had this exact problem, one alternative is to go to the business end but then you are looking real money. In the end I cut my loses and went for a 12 month old Hp envy Beats with i7-4700MQ CPU benchmark = 7724 where as the i7-6700 HQ = 8104
    Saved myself £1000 just added another 8gb ram.
    Edited by: "PulisOut" 13th Jan

mubashar

The spec I want tends to be more gaming laptops but I can't stand the … The spec I want tends to be more gaming laptops but I can't stand the look of these gaming laptops. I would like something like an XPS with all the bells and the whistles but they are far outside my budget. I would be happy with the needed spec but in an standard Inspiron body shell and ideally aluminium / silver.

Have you actually found any gaming laptops that all fit your criteria for £900 aside from the styling? Those are a very demanding set of requirements.

Original Poster

mubashar

The spec I want tends to be more gaming laptops but I can't stand the … The spec I want tends to be more gaming laptops but I can't stand the look of these gaming laptops. I would like something like an XPS with all the bells and the whistles but they are far outside my budget. I would be happy with the needed spec but in an standard Inspiron body shell and ideally aluminium / silver.

I saw offer of the spec available for £849 delivered new but it was the … I saw offer of the spec available for £849 delivered new but it was the Gaming version so not interested:http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7566-laptop/pd?oc=cn56605&l=en&s=dhs

mubashar

That's 2.5cm thick, not less than 2cm as you specified.

mubashar

This is the spec of the Dell refurb I have ordered thinking it to be a … This is the spec of the Dell refurb I have ordered thinking it to be a standard Dell 15 7000 series and not gaming: Inspiron 15 - 7566 Windows 10 Home (64bit) 128 GB SATAIII Solid State Drive 1 TB SATA 2.5inch (5,400 Rpm) Hard Drive Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (4 Core,6M Cache up to 3.5GHz, 45W) 16GB (1x16GB) 2400MHz SDRAM DDR4 Non-ECC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 with 4GB 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display LCD Back Cover - Black (Non-Touch Screen) Internal Qwerty Backlit Keyboard Battery : Primary 6-cell 74W/HR(Integrated) Power Supply: 130W AC Adapter Power Adapter - UK Type Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11ac, 1x1, 2.4 & 5GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 Certified RefurbishedIf its gaming - need to cancel and the search continues!

But that has a 15.6" screen?
    Thought you were after a 15.4"?

Would your video-editing software actually take advantage of a dGPU? Because otherwise onboard might be fine, and you're far more likely to get 20mm, 2KG 15.6" inside your budget if you drop the dGPU.
    Plus, without a dGPU it's far easier too keep the whole think cool and not too noisy.
    Very unlikely to be able to get a quad-core business-class laptop for your budget though. Or even none-business-class.
    This was the NBC search with some of your criteria:
    notebookcheck.net/Lap…tml
    Nothing which lists under €3000 though.

Original Poster

Anyone care to share their thoughts in these options:

£620 ish:
    monimega.com/eu/…CIA

£900:
    laptopsdirect.co.uk/pc-…MFg

£900:
    laptopsdirect.co.uk/sto…GmQ

£910:
    grooves-inc.co.uk/hew…N5w

£960:
    monimega.com/eu/…L4w

£765:
    http://www.lambda-tek.com/Lenovo-80RU0010MX~sh/B4978401&origin=gbaseGB16.22?gclid=CPqkjqeTyNECFRUo0wodQM4Aug

£750:
    store.hp.com/UKS…NTB

£850:
    store.hp.com/UKS…NTB

£900:
    store.hp.com/UKS…NTB

£1000:
    store.hp.com/UKS…NTB

£1,100:
    store.hp.com/UKS…NTB

mubashar

Anyone care to share their thoughts in these options:

According to your requirements they're all too thick, most are too heavy, some are 17" instead of 15" and some have tiny batteries of less than 50Wh instead of the 80-100Wh you're going to need to get 10-12 hours out of it.

Original Poster

So are we saying to get the spec that I would want it would have to be £1000+ spend?

Here is XPS 15 with only 256GB SSD for £1,200:
    dell.com/uk/…top

Or £1,500 for a 512GB SSD version:
    dell.com/uk/…top

Might be able to get something for a £1000 odd on dell Outlet - Is it worth for a refurb on Dell Outlet if something come about?

More inclined to drop my expectation and spend less. So of the deal I listed, which would be the better value for money?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any PS4 News Here29313799
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1841335
      3. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2425
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767171

See more discussions