Need laptop for studies

7 replies
Found 31st Aug 2016
I'll be doing interior architecture at university and looking for laptop.
Will be working with programs such as Adobe, MS Office and AutoCad.

Don't know a lot about electronics but I suppose I'm looking for something with larger screen and good baterry life.

Any suggestions?


You will need a laptop with a decent graphics card and at least 8gb ram.

Original Poster

would Mac be good for this?


would Mac be good for this?

If you spent enough and the programmes you need are compatible then a Mac would work but it'd probably be more expensive. Either way it seems you'll need to splash out a fair bit.

One thing to consider is building a good desktop and getting a lighter and more portable Chromebook if you can do without your specialist programmes on the go.


would Mac be good for this?

Not really no. All the architects I work with don't use Mac's.

Larger laptops tend to come in two screen sizes - 15.6" and 17.3". There are smaller screens (11" 13" etc) but they will be no good for what you want.

The default (most common) tends to be 15.6" but even they may be too small.

So consider a 17.3" screen however these laptops can be very large and heavy if you are carrying them around a lot.

Go and look at a 17.3" laptop in Curry's or John Lewis or other store where they are on display and see how you feel about carrying it around.

Here is a laptop with 17.3" screen from Argos as an example, £349…htm

Edited by: "guilbert53" 31st Aug 2016

Get a PC

asus ux305
Post a comment
    Top Discussions
    1. Spotify family22
    2. Gala Bingo/Games. Deposit £5 get £40 cashback. Quidco - new Gala members11
    3. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
    4. Urgent help needed with travel agent56

    See more discussions