Need more Speaker Cable for Tannoy TFX. Which type to get?

Found 20th Jun 2015
Hi again everyone.

Hoping someone here can assist as I'm a complete Home cinema separates n00b.

I've just purchased a Tannoy TFX 5.1 set, but I've run out of the included speaker cable.

Could someone let me know which type I'd need to get to best match the supplied cable?

I've had a look at Maplin and found the following... any of these ok?

Speaker Cable Figure of 8 4 x 2mm White (priced per metre) | Maplin
or
Loudspeaker Cable 20m Drum White | Maplin
or
Something from richer sounds? (Not too expensive though!)

Thanks in advance,
Community Updates
13 Comments
ipswich78

I was recommended this: … I was recommended this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Van-Damme-Professional-Twin-Axial-268-525-060-2-x-2-5mm/dp/B0030BXCDI

totally overkill for home cinema speakers and but ugly to hide
ipswich78

I was recommended this: … I was recommended this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Van-Damme-Professional-Twin-Axial-268-525-060-2-x-2-5mm/dp/B0030BXCDI

Wowzer. Quite expensive for 18-20m though.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wonder if the Maplins people will be able to suggest something if I bring abit of cable with me tomorrow...
I have the tannoy sfx set purchased couple months back and ordered this speaker cable gets good reviews on av forums and is just as good as more expensive cables, delivery doesn't cost that much and they they provide great customer service
here

and here

This HUKD site is meant to save people money and hopefully this is what I'm intending to do

HTH
If the cable is aluminium with copper coating it, I would just buy something cheap and similar. If it is proper copper cable then I would go to Richersounds and get some cheap copper cable.
philphil61

hereand hereThis HUKD site is meant to save people money and hopefully … hereand hereThis HUKD site is meant to save people money and hopefully this is what I'm intending to doHTH

This is a common theme with people buying very expensive cable . I'd go for what you like the look at because in most cases you can use pretty much any good copper cable as a speaker cable. Not so sure about Electrostatic speakers as I've heard certain cables effect the response of these. Most cables are glorified mains cable at best.
I'd only recommend expensive cables if you had :-
1) Excessive electronic noise
2) Damp environment
3) Huge runs between Amp and Speakers
4) Lots of money and liked buying expensive stuff
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I'm gonna head down to maplins and buy a 20m run because they have one that is copper and looks extremely similar to the cable supplied in the TFX box.

4mmx2mm so it'll look the same as well.

Really appreciated!
Rikachu

Thanks for all the input everyone!I'm gonna head down to maplins and buy … Thanks for all the input everyone!I'm gonna head down to maplins and buy a 20m run because they have one that is copper and looks extremely similar to the cable supplied in the TFX box.4mmx2mm so it'll look the same as well.Really appreciated!

I think the one you have gone for is loudspeaker cable and is only 13 strands of copper, they have hi-fi cable which is 74 strand. I really wouldn't get the 13 strand stuff.
MIDURIX

I think the one you have gone for is loudspeaker cable and is only 13 … I think the one you have gone for is loudspeaker cable and is only 13 strands of copper, they have hi-fi cable which is 74 strand. I really wouldn't get the 13 strand stuff.

Good shout dude.

When I got there, the 4x2mm had next to no copper in there.

I got the 6x3mm cable that was labelled hi-fi and home cinema compatible.

Just in the process of running it around the living room.

Thanks again.
Rikachu

Good shout dude.When I got there, the 4x2mm had next to no copper in … Good shout dude.When I got there, the 4x2mm had next to no copper in there.I got the 6x3mm cable that was labelled hi-fi and home cinema compatible.Just in the process of running it around the living room.Thanks again.

I think the expensive cable where you spend £3+ per metre is ridiculous, but 13 strands of cable did sound a bit low.
Any wire will do as long as it's thick enough
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants