Need screens to display my restaurant menu

Found 11th Dec 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a restaurant and would like to display my menu on 3 different screens (3 different images)

The images dont necessarily have to change.

What are my possible solutions? My best solution right now is to buy 3 x 32” TVs with usb input and have one image on each usb drive. This might not be the best solution. Any suggestions?

I would prefer to have to have 3 27” monitors but I can’t find any with USB input, guess they don’t support what I’m looking for alone. They’d need to be hooked up to a computer.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

I use a smart TV at work. It has several USB ports. Alternatively you could use a digital photo frame.

How about a vga splitter for connecting all the monitors to one pc and buy a cheap second hand pc or laptop and cheap 2nd hand monitors
Edited by: "ding" 11th Dec 2017

It sounds like a PC would be your best option. combined with one 55inch TV which you could have 3 images open simultaneously in a plethora of image viewing programmes. Also this would mean you can easily update the images on the PC and not have to fiddle around with USB sticks.

Original Poster

The only downside with that is that I either have to leave the PC on at all times or shut down and turn on the PC and load the images everyday

Original Poster

sylviasmith94429 m ago

I use a smart TV at work. It has several USB ports. Alternatively you …I use a smart TV at work. It has several USB ports. Alternatively you could use a digital photo frame.

Is there a digital photo frame that’s larger than 24”?

Original Poster

Elitefox9 m ago

It sounds like a PC would be your best option. combined with one 55inch TV …It sounds like a PC would be your best option. combined with one 55inch TV which you could have 3 images open simultaneously in a plethora of image viewing programmes. Also this would mean you can easily update the images on the PC and not have to fiddle around with USB sticks.

I’d prefer to have 3 different screens, and I think it would still be cheaper than one 55”?

I presume these are doing to be displays mounted and read from indoors? If it's in a window or outside then you'll have brightness issues, and requirement for whetherproofing if it's outdoors.

Monitors with USB do exist, but it's for other functionality. You might find a commercial display that can do what you want though.

You can get 27/28" TVs if you're after the smaller screens because they're a better physical size.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves2 h, 2 m ago

I presume these are doing to be displays mounted and read from indoors? If …I presume these are doing to be displays mounted and read from indoors? If it's in a window or outside then you'll have brightness issues, and requirement for whetherproofing if it's outdoors.Monitors with USB do exist, but it's for other functionality. You might find a commercial display that can do what you want though. You can get 27/28" TVs if you're after the smaller screens because they're a better physical size.

You’re right. I have a salad bar and I’ll be mounting the screens from the ceiling. Commercial displays are quite hard to find and the ones I have found cost around £300 each.

Thank you for all your help. I might go for a beelink mini PC and hook 3 monitors up to it, if that’s possible, with 3 different images shown. Otherwise 3 x 27-32” TVs and just a USB each.

I'd have three monitors/TV's and three £9 Raspberry Pi Zero's connected by HDMI (or £13 Raspberry Pi Zero W's - built in wifi). You could remotely control them to swap the menus from another phone or pc as well. Also I'd use a PDF rather than an image, it'll scale better.

You could run Chromium browser in Kiosk mode (full screen), point each Pi at a separate image/pdf on dropbox and then to swap it out you just put a new file with the same name and it'll show that instead.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 11th Dec 2017

Original Poster

dcx_badass35 m ago

I'd have three monitors/TV's and three £9 Raspberry Pi Zero's connected by …I'd have three monitors/TV's and three £9 Raspberry Pi Zero's connected by HDMI (or £13 Raspberry Pi Zero W's - built in wifi). You could remotely control them to swap the menus from another phone or pc as well. Also I'd use a PDF rather than an image, it'll scale better.You could run Chromium browser in Kiosk mode (full screen), point each Pi at a separate image/pdf on dropbox and then to swap it out you just put a new file with the same name and it'll show that instead.

The first sounds really good. Is there a tutorial on how to do exactly that?

WilliamHSs1 h, 0 m ago

The first sounds really good. Is there a tutorial on how to do exactly …The first sounds really good. Is there a tutorial on how to do exactly that?

The second method is just an expansion of the first so you can do it remotely over the internet. Essentially buy 3 Raspberry Pi Zero's (or Zero W's for £3 extra if you want wifi - I'd recommend this). Get three memory cards, set one memory card up with Raspbian (the operating system, a bit like windows), get it setup so it auto loads a photo/document full screen (lots of guides), clone the configured and ready to go memory card to the other two (so all three Pi's are setup the same), again lots of guides. Then just set each to a different picture/document and connect one to each TV. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to do.

Original Poster

I have a question:

If I buy a desktop PC, would I be able to display something different on each of the 3 monitors? Is there a PC with 3 HDMI/VGA outs or something?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions