Groups

need some advice!

Banned
    sorry if this is wrong forum.
    please try and read through
    ive stuck it here because ive read lots of good advice on all sorts here before.
    what with all this credit crunch and uncertainty in the economy,i really need
    some advice
    i have just started an electricians course,and i dont know if i should continue at it.
    basically what im asking is what do people think is the future prospects for an electrician and even if anyone has an opinion if its an enjoyable career?
    i have been ill for a while and i have just restarted college to try to get out of my rut.
    so i am doing an electricians course.my class seems to be full of loud,over confident,mouthy guys and its doing my head in.i find it very very hard to cope,as i am pretty nervous myself.i dread going to college,but this is mainly because of my own mind,i think
    it might be a bit naive to be asking on a forum,but has it got good prospects,what with the bumpy economy coming?
    will i cope with working as an electrician,being of a nervous disposition?i thought it would be good for me as i could work alone a lot and do my own thing,but it seems i would be stuck on building sites,in close contact with mouthy people all the time(sorry if this offends anyone who works on building sites,but this is all i know)
    how do i control my nerves being around people and not take so much notice of things?i know i have bad social phobia.
    if i did change,what other careers are going to be in high demand in the future?
    or will i stick at what im doing,as i know it pays well
    sorry if this is a bit of an agony aunt letter,but i really need to make some decisions
    thats a fair few questions
    thanks anyone in advance

lebby

18 Comments

Stay with it - we will always need electricians, also its a stepping stone for you you may want to take this further and become and Electrical Engineer, a trade is always good and even though its hard starting off it definately pays off, we have travelled the world because of my husbands electrical trade. and as far as working on building sites is concerned WHY you dont have to you could train to be in an office drawing electrical plans, there are so many opportunities for you so dont give up - Good luck

You sound like you belong in a padded cell.

Try becoming a hairdresser or fashion designer, they sound more like your kind of work.

KDH001;1930927

You sound like you belong in a padded cell.Try becoming a hairdresser or … You sound like you belong in a padded cell.Try becoming a hairdresser or fashion designer, they sound more like your kind of work.

wow ..... your straight and to the point

are you bobs best friend by chance?
    youtube.com/wat…TXA
    ps. im only joking

well being a builder myself i know that you have to be very sociable on a building site working with other trades and askin if then to do other jobs for you , as for money wise being a spark is prob the most well paid and you must have some brains as you need qualifications to even start the course. i say stick at it m8 it will prob do your social phobia a world of good might even cure ya and as for the other guys ignore them put the head down and work hard at it and reap the results from it when your earning the big money,, hope you the best in the future m8

KDH001;1930927

You sound like you belong in a padded cell.Try becoming a hairdresser or … You sound like you belong in a padded cell.Try becoming a hairdresser or fashion designer, they sound more like your kind of work.

Whilst I do not agree with the first part of this comment(a bit cruel and unneccesary!!)..........the suggestion of Hairdressing is not a daft one.
    Training to be an electrician is a good career choice,there will always be a need for good sparkies and it is a career that can take you anywhere(if you wanted to emigrate for example)

If you don't feel that it is for you,however,there will also always be a need for hairdressers.My hairdresser whom I have been going to for 20 years owns several salons and it seems a great atmosphere to work in.

If you were to go down this route be prepared to start at the bottom,sweeping floors,washing hair etc whilst you are training,the money is also not good at the beginning.......but once you qualify......well it's then up to you how far you go.

Good luck whatever you decide.:)

Defo stick with the electrician route, always needed what ever the economic situation.

So, don't throw the towel in, stick at it is my advice. :thumbsup:

Good luck what ever you decide to do though and let us know how it all goes and what you decide upon.

Hope this helps.

---------------------

P.S. Welcome! Just noticed this is your first post!

Stick with it, even if there is going to be an economy slump/recession. Doesn't matter what trade you are in when there is recession, no ones job is safe. Good thing is recessions don't last forever, and you will still have a very useful and credible skill once things start to pick up.
    Gobby arrrogant gits aren't just solely found in the bulider's trade they are flamin everywhere! Like someone said drama classes are absolutely fantastic for building your confidence and reacting with different social situations - my best friend did one and he is really confident in social situations now!
    Good luck, don't let gobby gits get you down ... and stop worrying to much - just go with the flow and try to relax some!!

sorry if this is wrong forum.

Try not to start something by apologising, unless of course you are apologising for something you have done wrong!

please try and read through

Okay

ive stuck it here because ive read lots of good advice on all sorts here before.
    what with all this credit crunch and uncertainty in the economy,i really need
    some advice
    i have just started an electricians course,and i dont know if i should continue at it.

If its something you really want to do then the simple answer is yes. Stick with it

basically what im asking is what do people think is the future prospects for an electrician and even if anyone has an opinion if its an enjoyable career?

Sorry cant say first hand but, I know a former electrician who now runs his own business designing the electrics that go into new building and renovated ones. Very rewarding - financially

i have been ill for a while and i have just restarted college to try to get out of my rut.
    so i am doing an electricians course.my class seems to be full of loud,over confident,mouthy guys and its doing my head in.i find it very very hard to cope,as i am pretty nervous myself.i dread going to college,but this is mainly because of my own mind,i think
    it might be a bit naive to be asking on a forum,but has it got good prospects,what with the bumpy economy coming?

Firstly, the objective of your course is to pass it? Just because someone is loud and over confident doesn't necessarily mean they will pass. So the message is try and ignore whats going on around you but, dont ignore people completely. Most jobs nowadays require interaction between more than one person. It sounds like you just need your confidence boosting and the only person that can do this is you! Some tips
    1. Go on another course for assertiveness
    2. Try and interact with people more. If this is a fear then the only way you're going to overcome it is to face it and tackle it. I know this sounds easier said than done but, I was once very shy whilst at school and still consider myself as such. My colleagues just dont believe me as they think I am the exact opposite. Moral - its all in the mind and how you percieve yourself.
    3. If you live in an area which is undergoing regeneration you might be eligible for some sort of help in trying to find the right job. I did a psychometric test which confirmed that I should be working in the industry which I have done for many years.

will i cope with working as an electrician,being of a nervous disposition?

Yes if you can overcome this (See above)

i thought it would be good for me as i could work alone a lot and do my own thing,but it seems i would be stuck on building sites,in close contact with mouthy people all the time(sorry if this offends anyone who works on building sites,but this is all i know)

Very few people work alone. Mouthy people are around us in everyday life whereever we go. Try not to prejudge them and busy yourself to avoid confrontation.

how do i control my nerves being around people and not take so much notice of things?i know i have bad social phobia.

Assertiveness training - I send some of my staff on it who are lacking in confidence.

if i did change,what other careers are going to be in high demand in the future?

Difficult question as this depends how clever you are. See above as psychometric testing may help guide you into an appropriate area.

or will i stick at what im doing,as i know it pays well

This is your choice and your choice alone. No one else can make these decisions for you.

sorry if this is a bit of an agony aunt letter,but i really need to make some decisions
    thats a fair few questions
    thanks anyone in advance

Hopefully you will gain some pointers to put you in the right direction.

If you'd have asked me over 25 years ago what I would be doing now I wouldnt have had a clue. I now feel that I have achieved a huge amount and I give credit to one person - me!

ps

You must have some guts for making this your maiden post!

Stick with the course - we'll always need electricians. A friend of ours seems to make a very good living. You seem to have very little self - esteem and I think you need to try and tackle this problem and then this might well solve some of your others. Maybe you could see your doctor and ask to be referred to a councillor.
    Whatever you decide I wish you the very best of luck!

Keep going bud, most jobs have their downsides but getting a trade will allow you to pick and choose in the future. It's good pay and you don't have to work on sites.
    I prefer working with guys/girls who are a little nervous rather than bolshy, it's the bolshy ones who make stupid mistakes.

As for loud and over confident mouthy guys, there's loads of them here :whistling:

KDH001;1930927

Unnecessary and unhelpful!

Lebby- stick with it unless you find it unbearable - there's always going to be a need for good electricians. Available work isn't just going to be on building sites, there's also work in private homes and many people might appreciate someone who's a little more quiet and thoughtful. (Also, some people are quiet because they're shy, some are 'mouthy') Good luck!

kensington143;1931295

Stick with the course - we'll always need electricians. A friend of ours … Stick with the course - we'll always need electricians. A friend of ours seems to make a very good living. You seem to have very little self - esteem and I think you need to try and tackle this problem and then this might well solve some of your others. Maybe you could see your doctor and ask to be referred to a councillor.Whatever you decide I wish you the very best of luck!

chrysha;1931342

Unnecessary and unhelpful!Welcome to HUKD.:thumbsup:Lebby- stick with it … Unnecessary and unhelpful!Welcome to HUKD.:thumbsup:Lebby- stick with it unless you find it unbearable - there's always going to be a need for good electricians. Available work isn't just going to be on building sites, there's also work in private homes and many people might appreciate someone who's a little more quiet and thoughtful. (Also, some people are quiet because they're shy, some are 'mouthy') Good luck!

I think that these are good advice. Skilled tradespeople are hard to come by and I'm sure that you could find employment with a firm that does mainly household stuff. As to your social problems, I also would recommend that you get your GP to refer you to a person/counsellor who is skilled in talking ( cognitive behavioural) therapy. Good Luck

Banned

Stick with it. Australia is crying out for skilled tradesmen like plumbers etc.

Original Poster Banned

thanks octobergirl,good points
    i wont give up
    thanks nikkib123
    yeah,your right about the social skills point.i intend to try something like that.
    good luck to your husband too

KDH001;1930927

cheers KDH001
    maybe i could become your hairdresser,with some garden shears:viking:
    no,really though,i was expecting a lot more like your reply
    but have been really surprised by how many people are willing to give kind helpful
    advice
    its £10 for short,back and sides. pm me:evil:

andyc240;1931096

well being a builder myself i know that you have to be very sociable on a … well being a builder myself i know that you have to be very sociable on a building site working with other trades and askin if then to do other jobs for you , as for money wise being a spark is prob the most well paid and you must have some brains as you need qualifications to even start the course. i say stick at it m8 it will prob do your social phobia a world of good might even cure ya and as for the other guys ignore them put the head down and work hard at it and reap the results from it when your earning the big money,, hope you the best in the future m8

thanks andyc240
    will try and push on
    good luck to you too mate

thej;1931152

Yup,i would stick with it,i'm a brickie and you're not 100% right about … Yup,i would stick with it,i'm a brickie and you're not 100% right about sites,you always get the loud mouthy ones,but you get them in all walks of life,on the whole you will find most people are ok and will help you when they can.As said before you don't have to work on sites,there is a huge domestic market out there,people will always need electricians around the house.I feel if you could maybe have a bit more belief in yourself and your abilities it would go someways to helping you.Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

thanks thej,i appreciate the encouragement,you're a good bloke
    cheers mate

suze;1931213

Defo stick with the electrician route, always needed what ever the … Defo stick with the electrician route, always needed what ever the economic situation.So, don't throw the towel in, stick at it is my advice. :thumbsup:Good luck what ever you decide to do though and let us know how it all goes and what you decide upon.Hope this helps.---------------------P.S. Welcome! Just noticed this is your first post!

yes,thanks suze,it does help a lot,its quite amazing to see how many kind people there are around
    you're a good person

Sheriff Waffles;1931220

Stick with it, even if there is going to be an economy slump/recession. … Stick with it, even if there is going to be an economy slump/recession. Doesn't matter what trade you are in when there is recession, no ones job is safe. Good thing is recessions don't last forever, and you will still have a very useful and credible skill once things start to pick up.Gobby arrrogant gits aren't just solely found in the bulider's trade they are flamin everywhere! Like someone said drama classes are absolutely fantastic for building your confidence and reacting with different social situations - my best friend did one and he is really confident in social situations now!Good luck, don't let gobby gits get you down ... and stop worrying to much - just go with the flow and try to relax some!!

thanks sheriff waffles
    more good advice
    will consider some kind of confidence course
    cheers mate

pluves 1
    lots of good advice there.
    i am considering going on some kind of assertiveness course.
    i intend to continue on the course,but its hard to get on with your own thing as the classrooms are so small and it seems to be a contest of who can be the loudest geezer,which the teachers seem to encourage because they seem intimidated and dont want to seem out of touch.
    i would prefer to just concentrate and learn.
    you're right though,i should try not to prejudge people
    congrats on your success and thanks for the good advice

kensington143;1931295

Stick with the course - we'll always need electricians. A friend of ours … Stick with the course - we'll always need electricians. A friend of ours seems to make a very good living. You seem to have very little self - esteem and I think you need to try and tackle this problem and then this might well solve some of your others. Maybe you could see your doctor and ask to be referred to a councillor.Whatever you decide I wish you the very best of luck!

thanks kensington143
    you're right about the self esteem.
    i have seen my doctor and am being referred to a councillor.
    thank you too for your good wishes

owlass;1931318

Keep going bud, most jobs have their downsides but getting a trade will … Keep going bud, most jobs have their downsides but getting a trade will allow you to pick and choose in the future. It's good pay and you don't have to work on sites.I prefer working with guys/girls who are a little nervous rather than bolshy, it's the bolshy ones who make stupid mistakes.As for loud and over confident mouthy guys, there's loads of them here :whistling:

cheers owlass
    i am a lurker for a while on this forum and you and others who have replied always seem to give good sound advice.i used to love tommy boyd too
    thanks for the encouragement mate

chrysha;1931342

Unnecessary and unhelpful!Lebby- stick with it unless you find it … Unnecessary and unhelpful!Lebby- stick with it unless you find it unbearable - there's always going to be a need for good electricians. Available work isn't just going to be on building sites, there's also work in private homes and many people might appreciate someone who's a little more quiet and thoughtful. (Also, some people are quiet because they're shy, some are 'mouthy') Good luck!

hey chrysha
    was expecting worse than KDH001,anyway,he;s got a haircut coming.
    thanks for your good advice,your another kind person

chesso;1932577

I think that these are good advice. Skilled tradespeople are hard to come … I think that these are good advice. Skilled tradespeople are hard to come by and I'm sure that you could find employment with a firm that does mainly household stuff. As to your social problems, I also would recommend that you get your GP to refer you to a person/counsellor who is skilled in talking ( cognitive behavioural) therapy. Good Luck

hi chesso
    that is what i am hopefully being referred for(c.b.t)
    thanks for your input mate

and thanks csiman
    heat and rep added to everyone if that is possible or makes sense
    had to shorten and cut out quotes because would only let me reply with 10000 characters,so excuse me if its a bit of a mess and thanks for everyones advice

Original Poster Banned

can only give rep
    and only to a few people
    so thanks folks anyway

hello lebby

old post i know, but was wondering how things have gone for you, as I am making a career change to domestic electrician in the near future.

Savvyshopper2009;5463459

hello lebbyold post i know, but was wondering how things have gone for … hello lebbyold post i know, but was wondering how things have gone for you, as I am making a career change to domestic electrician in the near future.

Lebby's last activity on this site was: 2008-05-06 21:54:00

Year too late i'm afraid!

[SIZE="1"]spammed[/SIZE]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17406140
      2. Sad news about Barcelona24111
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764166
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?27122

See more discussions