Expired

Need some advice - re: Electric fan-assisted oven...

Found 12th Jan 2013
Hi all. In need of help - not for me but for my mother. She's driving me nuts at the mo but I can't help her as I only have a normal oven. Her cooker packed up recently so we sourced her a new one. She's had one of those little tabletop ovens for a while which is fan-assisted so when we went shopping she insisted that the new cooker be F-A too. We got a great deal on a new double oven with the bottom one being F-A. It's a fab cooker and supposed to be the mutts dingleberries. So far, so good.

Now, this is the problem. She is a very good cook and always made great meals in the old oven with regards to joints of meat. What I'm saying is, she knows her stuff. However, EVERY joint of meat she has cooked in the F-A oven has ended up tough/chewy etc. This has really disappointed her and she cannot understand why this is happening. She knows that F-A ovens cook more thoroughly so adjusts the TEMP & COOKING TIME as per instructions but the end result is always the same.

It cannot be down to just bad luck/poor quality meats/coincidence as she's tried most things. Beef, lamb, Pork and chicken - all tough to varying degrees. Therefore, I figured I would turn to my learned HUKD members to get some advice/hints/tips etc. If you have any experience using/cooking with a proper F-A oven, perhaps you'd be good enough to share and I'll pass it on. Maybe there's something you need to do differently from the norm with F-A?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I hate to see the look of sadness on her face when she takes the first bite of what she calls "Another ruined meal." It's not that bad to be honest but I know how she feels as they were always perfect with her old oven.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Phsy.
Community Updates
16 Comments
cant help as i burn everything no matter what the oven but am sure someone will come along to help
Buy her a thermometer for the meat.....
use foil over meat and always lower temp by 20
I have never used the fan assist in the 5 years or so that I have had my oven. Can't she turn it off?
We always use the fan but turn the temp down and cook for less time than the recommended time stated.

So if it says 200 for forty five minutes we set it at 190 for 35 to 40 minutes.
I think you'll find that a fan assisted oven although is more efficient at keeping the "whole" oven a constant temperature (heat rises etc) it will also dry out the meat if not covered because it's forcing hot air around the oven whereas a normal oven heat rises.

As Daytrader stated - use foil or some cover to help keep the moisture trapped around the meat.
Daytrader

use foil over meat and always lower temp by 20

Actually I worked it out a while back that you should reduce the temperature by 15% from a normal oven.

20 makes no sense, and is just a wild opinionated guess.

If the temp is 200 for a normal oven then it should be 170. By your accounts, it should be 180 which would burn the food.

SamuraiHQ

Actually I worked it out a while back that you should reduce the … Actually I worked it out a while back that you should reduce the temperature by 15% from a normal oven.20 makes no sense, and is just a wild opinionated guess.If the temp is 200 for a normal oven then it should be 170. By your accounts, it should be 180 which would burn the food.

Is there any possibility that it depends on the oven?
I normally turn ours down from 200 to 180 or 170 when cooking in the oven, also as per another user has stated, always put some foil over your meat, cakes, etc..
over cooking the food due to the higher temp and quiker cooking, need to take at least 20 mins off your normall cooking time. i cooked a two and a half hour turkey crown in he oven for a hour and a half and it was done. she needs to trial and error, mayb with a chicken, cover it first 20 mins on around 200 degrees, then check the chicken, you will see its already cooking nicely, then turn down the heat, cook for another 20 mins, check again, then for the last 20 mins uncover to crisp. yourl find a standard chicken will take around an hour to cook

good luck
Mine is a normal oven / fan oven / grill in one. If i needto grill, i selct grill and leave the door open, with or without fan option.

I leave the door closed for oven and again have the option of fan or not. Personally i don't like the fan and it's quite noisy, although most foods tell you how much to reduce the temp by or to follow manufacturers instructions. It really is a matterof trial and error. I chose not to use the fan option. There is probably a forum on the web for owners of the same cooker which may offer some tips and advice.

Personally i'd stick with the normal one nad keep the f/a for potatoes, non meat things etc
ps. she needs to throw all her old rules about how she used to cook her meats out the window and basically start again, but once she gets used to it she should be fine xxx
SamuraiHQ

Actually I worked it out a while back that you should reduce the … Actually I worked it out a while back that you should reduce the temperature by 15% from a normal oven.20 makes no sense, and is just a wild opinionated guess.If the temp is 200 for a normal oven then it should be 170. By your accounts, it should be 180 which would burn the food.

I stand by what i said, about 20 is right, well jamie and delia say the same, i say no more, like at xmas for example, on instructions for turkey it says cook at 190 normal or 170 fan, also when i said 20, you still have to use your brains a bit, i always use a meat therm anyway.
A friend of mine said she always used Roasting Bags to cook meat in.
Thank you for all your comments so far. I will pass any tips on. I do happen to know though that she already covers her meat with foil, so thats um, covered! Also; with regards to temp; she says she has followed the instructions to the letter about reducing it when using F-A and still gets the same 'tough' results. I don't think you can turn off the fan as it starts automatically when the door closes. The top oven doesn't have a fan however so I think (as suggested by IWOOTN) she is going to try using that and see what happens.

I have said I will get her one of those meat thermometers - I've seen them on the bay for £3-4 - but as she is 'old-school' when it comes to cooking she would rather overcook something and know it's safe rather than risk undercooking it. Yes, old-school does tend to mean stubborn but; as I said; she always cooked beautiful, tender joints of meat so (as buzyxbee said) I think she needs to learn a 'new' way of cooking until it sinks in and becomes the norm.

Thanks again guys 'n' gals. I knew I could rely on you all to offer some good advice. Most appreciated.

Regards, Phsy.
i sympathise with the lady using the fan assisted oven i am 81yrss old and my family says i am a good cook
, but i have had my cooker for six months and i am baffled i have always made christmas cakes for the family this year my grandaugter has said she will come and help and make them under my direction with my old cooker i cooked for 4hrs 140temp what do i do now help help please some one please.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants